4. place 3 spike traps simultaniously on or near the caltrops
5. vault out
6. place another caltrops to gain the 10% increased critical chance
7. watch all the carnage :D

use preparation as needed

cull the weak + 15% against slowed targets
archery - for the crit % bonus
steady aim + 20% damage when monsters are far away

so now we have at least 20% chance to crit and 35% extra damage. You do the math
Reply Quote
only thing i would change is preperation rune. probably to focuses mind. if you use all your discipline to restore your hatred in this build you lose alot of your utility and become vulnerable.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/1/2012 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
yes but ive tried doing multiple caltrops and you can lay quite a few before going out.

spike trap is 23 -30 hatred each hence the prep with hatred rune
Reply Quote
but if you lay caltrops you dont have the discipline to use prep to gain hatred. even though this removes the cooldown i feel this limits when you can use prep even more. hatred regens at 5 of second and thats without entangling shot, discipline generates at 1 a second and you have no discipline generation
and if it doesnt kill everyone on the first set of traps your in danager because you lose most of your utility.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/1/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just remember that the caltrops trap you're standing in needs to have been sprung for you to get the bait the trap bonus. That said, I too have been contemplating build similar to this as it sounds really fun.
Reply Quote
Here is my version:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#beYdlk!ceV!abcZac

The main difference is that I plan to use Rattling Role to vault into and stun the monsters, lay the traps, pop Rain of Vengeance, set sentry, and then start spamming ES and Chakram, which spirals outward from the targeted location. This build takes advantage of the damage reduction offered by numbing traps and sentry. In the event that the action becomes too much for my DH to handle, I'll just vault out (Note to self, make sure you save enough discipline for vault).

This build seems extremely fun to me, as it puts the DH right in the middle of all the action. Whether or not this build will be viable in inferno remains to seen ;-)
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/1/2012 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you can plant Spike Traps from distance, no?
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Atonement
I think you can plant Spike Traps from distance, no?

I was referring specifically to Caltrops in describing my build's course of action above.

In answer to your question, I'm not quite sure. Maybe somebody can clue me in a bit on the mechanics of Spike Trap.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNKQcw7GWQ
appears you can place around 15 yards away. (half the distance of vault)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the link Cronos.
Reply Quote

Just remember that the caltrops trap you're standing in needs to have been sprung for you to get the bait the trap bonus. That said, I too have been contemplating build similar to this as it sounds really fun.

Are you sure about this RedCell? I don't doubt you but it just seems wrong for it to work that way. Are you inferring your conclusion from the description or did you get confirmation from elsewhere?

It seems like bait the trap would imply you are standing on it as bait to lure monsters in to activate it. Only getting a buff like increased crit chance after caltrops has been activated seems completely against the nature of caltrops which is to slow mobs down while you run away.

I'll be very sad if it works the way you say it does. :(
Edited by Fellspar#1461 on 5/1/2012 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Fellspar no I do not have a source for my statement. The reason why I think this is the case is the skill reads "become empowered while standing in the area of effect." I believe this implies that the trap has to be affecting an area, and before it is sprung it is not affecting anything.

I would like some clarification on this.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/1/2012 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Technically it's still an Area of Effect even before it's sprung because it's just a trigger waiting to be activated. No confirmation as of yet as to how it functions though.
Reply Quote
Vault doesn't use a huge amount of discipline, so if you're vaulting in why not use the Rattling Roll rune?

As for Bait the Trap, I don't think it has to be set off. The name alone implies to me that it hasn't been activated yet. Why bait an already used trap?
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 10:09 PMPosted by Shinigami
Why bait an already used trap?

Because you're baiting yourself? O.o

Vault doesn't use a huge amount of discipline, so if you're vaulting in why not use the Rattling Roll rune?

Vault by itself doesn't use a ton of discipline but he also has Caltrops in the build (and he'll have to lay them quite a bit since he needs one for slowing and one to stand in) as well as Prep w/ Punishment. Saving a few discipline on Vault could really save in the long run.
Reply Quote
with only a 3 second cooldown when swapping abilities out, and a 45 second cooldown on prep it might actually be worthwhile to micromanage changing out skills.

Hopefully they allow button macros to change abilities at some point because I`m realy gonna wanna swap when i`m safe to get a free regain.

I like the regen idea behind this build and I find it compelling.

This really seems like a large group build, minus the bombs and huge lack of AOE skills. I`m not honestly sure how well this build will work but I`m sure when you get to the level requirements of it, you will test it.

I like any player though that chooses caltrops over smokescreen, just wanted to point that out.
Edited by JuGG#1603 on 5/1/2012 10:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Because you're baiting yourself? O.o

O.o

Vault by itself doesn't use a ton of discipline but he also has Caltrops in the build (and he'll have to lay them quite a bit since he needs one for slowing and one to stand in) as well as Prep w/ Punishment. Saving a few discipline on Vault could really save in the long run.

Oh I didn't even see the punishment rune, though I'm not sure that's really necessary.
Edited by Shinigami#1937 on 5/1/2012 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As for Bait the Trap, I don't think it has to be set off. The name alone implies to me that it hasn't been activated yet. Why bait an already used trap?

The prey isn't harmed until it has grabbed the bait and the trap has sprung.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/1/2012 10:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bait the trap is just suggesting you stand in the middle and bait it, hence giving you the crit buff but making you more possibly vulnerable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]