Diablo® III

Auction house rates... so expensive!

Community Manager
As others have pointed out there's a $1 transaction for any item such as armor, weapons, etc. which is only taken if the item sells. So that's the flat $1 fee for those types of items, and honestly I would personally expect most people to be interested in both selling and buying these types of character improvements.

Separately, there is a 15% transaction fee for any commodities (again, only if they sell), which are items that stack such as gems and gold. We take a percentage due to the way commodity sales work. You can put up 50,000 gold for sale, and because people can buy portions of commodity auctions, one person may buy 10,000, another may buy 30,000 and maybe nobody buys the remaining 10,000. Instead of charging $1 per transaction, which certainly wouldn't be fair to the seller in the case of commodities as they have no control over how many different people may buy from their auction, we go with a percentage. If that original 50,000 goes up for say $5, there would be a $0.45 fee on the 30,000, and a $0.15 fee for the 10,000, totaling a $0.60 fee for the sales that occurred.

Just to be triply clear, these fees only happen if the item sells. Putting an item or stack of items up to see if it/they will sell doesn't have any inherent risks, and is a good way to get some Battle.net Balance built up. You can sell items you don't want, and then get something to spend on something you do want.
"For Equipment (weapons, armor, accessories, and other unique items)

•Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
•Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item
•Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

•Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
•Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): 15% of final sale price
•Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred"

it only $1.00 posting fee and 15% transfer fee if you plan to xfer it to paypal, it not a big fee compare to what i pay back then for ebay fee..

but my question is do i have to pay that 1$ fee even if i did not sucessfully sell my item... can any1 answer that???

There's no fee to post items, so you lose nothing if it doesn't sell. The 1 dollar fee is only if your auction sales.

So, you sale an item for 10 bucks, you'll get 9 bucks. If you transfer that to paypall, they'll take 15% of it.

And then if you decide to move it from paypal to your checking account, paypal will take their standard fee. I think it's like 2.90%.
Hardkoar I don't think many people are missing the black market ramifications. If the profit you can make on the black market outpaces the blizzard RMAH, then people will flock to the black market to make their profits from in game items. There is one additional consideration though:

Now that blizzard has allowed real money transactions through the RMAH, there is a disincentive to go to other sites, where you run the added risk of being banned (lose variable amount of money depending on when you buy D3). Previously this didn't matter because the risk existed but there was no other way to profit from selling items. Now that you have a legitimate way to make those trades (even with high fees) there is less need to go to third party sites because you can profit, without running the risk of losing your investment in the game.
blizzard is going to be richer than ever
05/01/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Bashiok
As others have pointed out there's a $1 transaction for any item such as armor, weapons, etc. which is only taken if the item sells. So that's the flat $1 fee for those types of items, and honestly I would personally expect most people to be interested in both selling and buying these types of character improvements.

That really isn't so bad then.

Weapon sells for $100.
$99.
$84.15 arrives into your paypal account.
so they want us to spend our bnet balance instead of cashing it out
I must agree the fees are too expensive. This could potentially encourage third-party sites to continue existing.

Should be $0,10 for item sold, and 1,5% for commodities. Yup, I said it. 10 times lesser.
Are the fee's applied to both the buyer and the seller, or just the seller?

Separately, there is a 15% transaction fee for any commodities (again, only if they sell), which are items that stack such as gems and gold. We take a percentage due to the way commodity sales work. You can put up 50,000 gold for sale, and because people can buy portions of commodity auctions, one person may buy 10,000, another may buy 30,000 and maybe nobody buys the remaining 10,000. Instead of charging $1 per transaction, which certainly wouldn't be fair to the seller in the case of commodities as they have no control over how many different people may buy from their auction, we go with a percentage. If that original 50,000 goes up for say $5, there would be a $0.45 fee on the 30,000, and a $0.15 fee for the 10,000, totaling a $0.60 fee for the sales that occurred.

Just to be triply clear, these fees only happen if the item sells. Putting an item or stack of items up to see if it/they will sell doesn't have any inherent risks, and is a good way to get some Battle.net Balance built up. You can sell items you don't want, and then get something to spend on something you do want.

is it possible to end up in the negatives if you try to cash out, since paypal may have additional fees?
05/01/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Chickenooble
Are the fee's applied to both the buyer and the seller, or just the seller?

Just the seller.

is it possible to end up in the negatives if you try to cash out, since paypal may have additional fees?

as long as fees are percentage you can't go in negatives.
Community Manager
05/01/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Venomheart

PayPal will not charge any fees for transfers to them. You'll pay a 15% transfer fee to move any funds to your PayPal account, and then whatever you do with the money after that is between you and them. But the transfer to PayPal is 15%, and that's it.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/1/2012 12:42 PM PDT
To follow up on the negatives, the only possibility to go negative exists for equipment which has a flat $1 dollar rate. HOWEVER, there is a minimum bid price designed to avoid going into the negative for equipment sales.
Edited by Myth#1241 on 5/1/2012 11:06 AM PDT
05/01/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Bashiok

PayPal will not charge any fees for transfers to them. You'll pay a 15% transfer fee to PayPal, and then whatever you do with the money after that is between you and them. But the transfer to PayPal is 15%, and that's it.

paypal takes 3.9% + 0.30 USD
85 Tauren Druid
I understand that dealing with money (in this way) is both a new issue for Blizzard and an incredible feat to do across all the different regions you offer the service in. I am just unsure about the size of the fees, 10% or even lower seems far more fair and reasonable while still allowing a profit.

15% twice just seems like Blizzard is being greedy and wants to make as much as possible off the player. I don't know the backend and cannot judge how much may be truly needed to prevent the service from costing Blizzard money but somehow I doubt it is 15% twice.

I can't wait to play Diablo 3 either way but it definitely seems ridiculous how high the fees stack for selling gold and will have an impact on the gold value of items because it is so much "cheaper" to sell an item directly vs selling it for gold then selling the gold.

AKA: Stuff is gonna sell for a lot more gold to try and make up the huge amount of fees imposed on switching currencies from gold to real-life money.
Edited by gamefrk101#1526 on 5/1/2012 11:07 AM PDT

PayPal will not charge any fees for transfers to them. You'll pay a 15% transfer fee to PayPal, and then whatever you do with the money after that is between you and them. But the transfer to PayPal is 15%, and that's it.

Thats good to know, thank you for the clarification. I had previously thought Paypal charges another transaction fee of $0.30 and 2.9% to place money into the paypal account.
Edited by DarkStar#1678 on 5/1/2012 11:06 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]