Diablo® III

I do worry that shields will be mandatory....

I don't really see a problem here. If you're finding yourself too squishy, then yeah a shield might help prop up your survivability for a bit, as it'll add a big bunch of armour (more than a chest piece would), as well as extra blocking.

The only potentially worrying thing I can see is that Exalted Dread Shield blocking 3.7k seems a bit low in the face of 170k hits from that boss, especially only with a 10-20% block chance.

The 170k base damage will most likely be significantly reduced after damage reduction from gear and skills, and then the 30% barb+monk thing worked out after gear.

It really seems like the 'Nerves of Steel' passive is gonna be pretty much required for Inferno and increasing effective health.

You then want to rely on things which restore % of effective (overall) health and suddenly the playing field becomes more balanced: Inspiring Presence, Revenge + Vengeance is Mine, Overpower + Revel, etc.

tdlr: shields will be nice, but effective health + regen + talents are gonna count for more.
Edited by Torn#2953 on 5/6/2012 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Undead Warlock
There are plenty of ways to mitigate damage and avoid being hit at your disposal. Also flat out destroying things asap works too.
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 02:48 PMPosted by aleksandor
While the 30% damage resistance is nice, it won't SCALE

Confirmed - OP is dumb.
Reply Quote
While the 30% damage resistance is nice, it won't SCALE

Confirmed - OP is dumb.

That's kind of what I was thinking. 30% is 30%. As incoming damage increases, so does the number amount of damage reduced. The total damage reduction (using 30% as an example) from 1800 incoming damage would be greater than the reduction of 30% from 180 points of incoming damage. However, when you itemize everything, both reductions will be 30%. It would be different if it was 30 points of reduced damage, but it's 30 percent.
Edited by Heimwarts#1748 on 5/6/2012 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/06/2012 03:08 PMPosted by CAT
id like to see "what you've seen of inferno" lol.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/06/diablo-iii-blizzards-top-tips-for-inferno-mode
Reply Quote
saying this again, it isnt wow u dont need a specified TANK like wow.. go search d2 so you understand the game dynamics.. seriously..
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 02:48 PMPosted by aleksandor
While the 30% damage resistance is nice, it won't SCALE;

... its a %... it scales with everything!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I'll be hitting things with large, 2-handed weapons. My manly chest hair will shield me from oncoming damage.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I believe in inferno you can survive without shield. Be smart and use your abilities correctly. Also, there are several ways to go about this including high % life leech is one option. The higher your damage, your more you heal. But there are ways to do this without straight up sword n board im sure of it. Even in inferno.
Reply Quote
2 Undead Warlock
Skills/Runes with stun and knockback exist for a reason.

There is a rune for leap that grants you +300% armor when you land for a duration. War cry has many runes that make it even better.

Against big strong rare monsters you're gonna want high single target damage. Not sit there with your derpy shield tickling him with your puny 1 hander. You want that muddafugga dead asap.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Keep in mind blizzard is starting to go away from cooky cutter strategies, so being required to use a shield in inferno would be contradictory to their statement.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Meselexanica
Against big strong rare monsters you're gonna want high single target damage. Not sit there with your derpy shield tickling him with your puny 1 hander.
You do realize that dual-wielding only really adds a 15% IAS buff with some extra stats that can be found on weapons but not shields, right? With the IAS from other gear, dual-wield ain't going to amount to that much more dps... unless DW's IAS is multiplicative to gear IAS, but I doubt that.

05/07/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Trillvill
Keep in mind blizzard is starting to go away from cooky cutter strategies, so being required to use a shield in inferno would be contradictory to their statement.
There's a difference between requiring it the whole time and requiring it for certain fights. Myself I intend to always carry my best shield and 1h (if I use a 2h) just in case things get rough.
Reply Quote
2 Undead Warlock
05/07/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Arkatar
Against big strong rare monsters you're gonna want high single target damage. Not sit there with your derpy shield tickling him with your puny 1 hander.
You do realize that dual-wielding only really adds a 15% IAS buff with some extra stats that can be found on weapons but not shields, right? With the IAS from other gear, dual-wield ain't going to amount to that much more dps... unless DW's IAS is multiplicative to gear IAS, but I doubt that.

[quote="48849688552"].

I didn't say anything about dual wielding. You guys can feel free to have fun "tanking" Inferno though. Since this is Wowiablo 3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
What D2 was ment to be is not what it became.

What it became directly influenced the goals that D3 hopes to accomplish.

Nothing is sacred in D3. The rules have changed, the game has changed.

This is not D2. It never will be, and anyone's assumptions of what it will be are wrong, including mine.

7 days...
Reply Quote
I didn't say anything about dual wielding. You guys can feel free to have fun "tanking" Inferno though. Since this is Wowiablo 3.
lolwat?

(Seriously, I never say that, but I just had to this time.)
Edited by Arkatar#1387 on 5/7/2012 9:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
will barbs be able to duel weild 2hs? like titan's grip off wow.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Øsh
will barbs be able to duel weild 2hs? like titan's grip off wow.
They can do it in WoW because Attack Power accounts for most of your dps, not the weapon damage. Here everything scales directly with weapon damage; dream on.
Reply Quote
ehhh I dont think so.. I think blizz has been working hard to make a lot of character builds viable and balenced in PvE play.. if only the shield wearers were making it through inferno they will have failed miserably..

if you look at top end gear and factor in strength a lvl 60 barb in good gear will be sitting at around 5k armor without a shield.. if you take the passive that adds 1 armor per vitality that goes even higer.. a lvl 60 shield will get you 1k armor.. so your looking at 20% more dmg reduction over not wearing a shield, tops.. (maybe less, not sure how the static 30% works with armor)

now the only question is can you kill stuff 20% faster if your using a 2 hander.. if you can then essentially its the same thing.. your taking 20% more dmg.. but they are dead 20% sooner so you getting damaged 20% less of the time you would be if you were wearing a shield.. (assuming your getting your hp up between battles, ie health orbs)
Edited by Bigtimedude#1483 on 5/7/2012 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Remember how mandatory shields were in Hell difficulty for melee classes in D2?

Me neither.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Remember how mandatory shields were in Hell difficulty for melee classes in D2?

Me neither.

I sure don't, once I got geared I dropped my WW / Zerker barb for a Frenzy / Zerker.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]