Diablo® III

Problems with changing skills at any time

I feel there is a major issue with the ability to be able to change skills at any time. I understand why they did it: so you can change your character at any time to face any situation. This is a good idea, you can become the Wizard you need to be based on the situation.

HOWEVER, the main issue with this is then you really only need one character per class. In Diablo 2, I had 2 necromancers, one summoner and one bone. I had 2 paladins, one hammer and one zeal. In Diablo 3 though, my Wizard can be any type of Wizard. The issue is that if you have one character for each class, reach level 60, get good gear, and beat inferno solo, then what? What are you to do once you have beaten inferno with every character? There is no point to make another Wizard or Demon Hunter because the character will have the same abilities and the gear you have will be the same as well. The only possible solution I can see is if inferno is nearly impossible to beat, which it may very well be given every enemy will be at level 61 or higher when you start.

For me, this is a major issue because one could argue that Diablo 3 will have a clear ending other an pvp. Thoughts?
Edited by Deeeth#1411 on 5/3/2012 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Do another character for Hardcore and beat Inferno.

Or.

Make a different gender for the different look/dialogue.
Reply Quote
I feel there is a major issue with the ability to be able to change skills at any time. I understand why they did it: so you can change your character at any time to face any situation. This is a good idea, you can become the Wizard you need to be based on the situation.

HOWEVER, the main issue with this is then you really only need one character per class. In Diablo 2, I had 2 necromancers, one summoner and one bone. I had 2 paladins, one hammer and one zeal. In Diablo 3 though, my Wizard can be any type of Wizard. The issue is that if you have one character for each class, reach level 60, get good gear, and beat inferno solo, then what? What are you to do once you have beaten inferno with every character? There is no point to make another Wizard or Demon Hunter because the character will have the same abilities and the gear you have will be the same as well. For me, this is a major issue because one could argue that Diablo 3 will have a clear ending other an pvp. Thoughts?

Congratulations, you explained why they did it, there is a limit of 10 characters per account, you don't have infinite room to play around like in D2. So, now they give you infinite specs to play around with. (we all know I'm using infinite in the measure at which you could make chars/specs before you die form).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Changing your specs mid game will reduce your rare loot drops. As per Nephalem Valor buff.
Reply Quote
So once you hit 60 and have godly gear, your just going to run around and change to the less useful skills and see how well you do?
Reply Quote
Every area will likely have a best way to complete. Certain skills will be most effective in certain areas. So even if that makes lots of variability while you are playing through, there still will likely be one most effective way to beat inferno.
Reply Quote
This is new and exciting.
Edited by MortQ#1207 on 5/3/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it forces you to committ to a play style, which is good and bad i suppose
Reply Quote
I don't think this thread has been created before.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
If skills were fixed people would create builds via guides only cause screwing up is bad. Now they can play at their pace and ignore guides without needing to worry about not making an optimal character.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to solo inferno...
Edited by LgHairDtCare#1395 on 5/3/2012 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 09:32 AMPosted by LgHairDtCare
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to solo inferno...

It was confirmed that the entire game (all difficulties included) will be solo-able.
Reply Quote
Sorry for creating a thread about something that has likely been discussed millions of times before. I agree that this change makes D3 much more user/beginner friendly. I am happy I won't have to ponder what build I am going to make and instead can just play the game. But I will in some ways miss worrying if I messed my build up.
Reply Quote
People like the OP want a game they are forced to relevel from level 1. Forced to replay the game from the start.

Even if the leveling experience was only ten hours people like the OP want this to limit them from being able to just give their character all the new abilities they want to try.

I have a question for you though OP. Does Tetris have a clear ending?

It does have a max level, you can achieve that max level in about 30 minutes if you are really good. So what purpose is there left to play? Maximum score? Even if I hit that the game does not end.

So why do people keep replaying Tetris? I only ever made one of any particular class in D2, and I still load up my character now and then to go and slay everything in Hell difficulty? Why should I do this.

Game Developers should have always focused on keeping a player playing the game, no matter what the level their character is. Not focusing on making a player replay from level 1 to get back to the maximum level.

Players like you OP, are not looking for a hard game, you are not looking for a replayable game either. Players like you OP are looking for a punishing game. Which you can deny as others have in the past, and that's fine. But it is what you want, you want to be punished for playing the game if you do it wrong.

But when developers start doing this method of game development they usually start being lazy about another important element, the ability to keep the player playing. If you make a game that keeps the player playing the game, even if there is no requirement to restart from the beginning of the game, then you have made a truly successful game. If you have made a game where the player "Wants" to restart from the beginning of the game not by requirement, but by choice, and "Wants" to keep playing the game when they reach maximum level. Then you have made a phenomenal game.

I am not every player, but I think I speak for a large majority when I say. Diablo 2 was a great game, it is a game I spent hundreds of hours on playing, but it's system that requires you to restart from level 1, was an archaic, punishing method of replayability.

Just because a game is good, does not mean everything was done in a good way. It just means you were willing to overlook it's flaws. I liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES, that doesn't mean that it's flaws are not fatal design errors in todays gaming community.
Reply Quote
6 Human Warlock
If you want to restart your character in order to use different skills, you can still do it. What are you complaining about?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]