Diablo® III

Jewels out of diablo 3?

So far from what I've been reading about d3 there's very few things I can find fault in, they are doing a good job, but the removing of jewels and having a gem system is one I don't really understand.

Almost everything about d3 that they are pushing is more customization, more randomness, but the removing jewels for sockets and replacing them with just pure gems removes a lot of the randomness and a lot of the customization. I really liked the jewels in d2, you could have 4 random affixes spawn on rares, or two on a magical ( but the affixes were slightly higher) and it made for a lot more customization and added a lot of randomness of the drops (especially for the rares, was quite hard to find a good one but when you did they were amazing and extremely valuable)

But I don't know if its just me, but the gem system in d3 seems a little boring/generic. There were gems in d2 but they were never really used for socketing items, they were mostly for crafting and sometimes if you were a new player you would use them for sockets (there were some rare instances when gems were good for high level socketing but very rare instances like for druid pelts with perfect rubys). Having gems that just sort of have no randomness to them other than that they increase in power the higher the level of gem just doesn't feel diablo to me, it feels way more like a mmo version.

I'm hoping the future expansions bring back jewels because they really did add a lot more customization as far as gear goes and added a lot more randomness to the game. It makes me wonder why they decided to drop that system and put in a gem one, especially with all the other changes to the game adding a lot more customization as far as gear goes.
Reply Quote
We haven't played the full game, so its sort of hard to tell. Not to mention if they added every feature people wanted, then the expansions would just be new skins.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I like the new way, I never was happy to see a jewel drop in D2.
Reply Quote
I never used jewels as much as rune words. Both jewels and rune words seem to have been replaced my crafting weapons with +x random magic properties.
Reply Quote
Jules, Charms, the Mystic, Rune Words, etc. I would hope are all coming in patches or expansions.
Probably expansions.
Reply Quote
We have no idea what gems are capable of in this game yet. Play, then complain.
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 11:37 AMPosted by theSkaBoss
We have no idea what gems are capable of in this game yet. Play, then complain.

What are you talking about? They have a huge list on their website with gems and how they work, of course we know how they work -.-. It's not like they are going to change the feature now when the game is two weeks from release.

I don't mind them having gems, but I would like there ALSO to be jewels to add to the randomness, would be really fun to craft jewels with 4 random affixes, having it so gems are still good, but a really good rare jewel can beat out a gem would make things quite interesting I think and add a lot to the game.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
05/03/2012 11:13 AMPosted by sLC
So far from what I've been reading about d3 there's very few things I can find fault in, they are doing a good job, but the removing of jewels and having a gem system is one I don't really understand.
Original D2 had no Jewels (or even Runes). It was just gems for socketing.

Almost everything about d3 that they are pushing is more customization, more randomness, but the removing jewels for sockets and replacing them with just pure gems removes a lot of the randomness and a lot of the customization. I really liked the jewels in d2, you could have 4 random affixes spawn on rares, or two on a magical ( but the affixes were slightly higher) and it made for a lot more customization and added a lot of randomness of the drops (especially for the rares, was quite hard to find a good one but when you did they were amazing and extremely valuable)
When you got right down to it the Jewels were just amped up versions of Gems. It wouldn't necessarily be bad if we saw something similar in D3, but the developers are going to want to make sure any new system of this nature is unique enough to be worth including.

But I don't know if its just me, but the gem system in d3 seems a little boring/generic. There were gems in d2 but they were never really used for socketing items,
Actually, that was their intended primary purpose.

they were mostly for crafting and sometimes if you were a new player you would use them for sockets (there were some rare instances when gems were good for high level socketing but very rare instances like for druid pelts with perfect rubys). Having gems that just sort of have no randomness to them other than that they increase in power the higher the level of gem just doesn't feel diablo to me, it feels way more like a mmo version.
Having Jewels replace gems for socketing was never part of the developers original intent. They were hoping to create an interesting alternative to gems, but they didn't intend to usurp their system.

I'm hoping the future expansions bring back jewels because they really did add a lot more customization as far as gear goes and added a lot more randomness to the game. It makes me wonder why they decided to drop that system and put in a gem one, especially with all the other changes to the game adding a lot more customization as far as gear goes.
It all comes down to ensuring that the systems are distinct, balanced, and don't interfere/overlap with each other. It's entirely possible that we could see some sort of return of Jewels but if we do there's a high chance they'll be in a different form from how D2 treated them.
Reply Quote
05/03/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Socketboy
Probably expansions
Reply Quote
Most of the Jewel bonuses were pretty useless. I'd rather have a smaller, more balanced number of options to choose from.
Reply Quote
5/5 die facet ftw
Reply Quote
I'm starting to think people here didn't play d2 very much -.- jewels were worthless? jewels were basically the best socketing items in the game, and some of the most expensive/rare items. I realize that if you never played the game very much you probably never used a jewel in your life, and thats ok, I liked that design. Gems/runes were mostly used for socketing, but very high end/rare jewels could still be extremely valuable and I liked that design. Making just gems for sockets just feels a bit generic to me and takes away from the customization of the game, so I don't understand why everyone here seems to think its a bad thing to add jewels.

OMG they took away stuff from us!!! The sky is falling!!!

Just pretend Diablo 3 is a new game that has nothing to do with the previous Diablo games except the story line.

Oh wait, you don't need to pretend, because it is a new game that has nothing to do with other Diablo games besides the storyline....

? I don't understand this mindset, but it is the mindset of 99% of the people on this forum apparently. Any time anyone makes a mindly interesting suggestion its usually just shut down because it was in a previous diablo game. I mean the game was one of the top selling games of all time and you think they shouldn't take things from d2 and improve on them? Doesn't make much sense to me. It seems like people would rather have a new game instead of an improved/better version of arguably the best game of all time. Even in my post I say I like almost all the changes they've made and I make one suggestion, so your post is a little over the top to think I'm saying the sky is falling because of this sole reason, its merely a suggestion which I think would improve the game and I wanted to hear other peoples opinions on it.
Reply Quote

D2 most certainly had gems, and it did not have jewels until the expansion. Jewels weren't removed from D3, they were never there in the first place. Your point is invalid, at least until an expansion comes out (and even then, only if it does not add something to the game to make items/spells better).

05/03/2012 05:18 PMPosted by sLC
I'm starting to think people here didn't play d2 very much

And you have not played very much of D3, you're ignorant ranting is nothing more than crying for pixels from a different game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]