Diablo® III

Diablo III and Dolby Digital?

I have a ASUS Xonar DG sound card, and currently, I have it connected with my receiver via a SPDIF cable.

The only way for me to have proper surround sound support, is if the game or media I'm playing supports Dolby Digital.

I can't recall if SC2 had Dolby Digital support or not, but WoW currently does not. It has normal surround sound support though, which will not work in my case due to my card not having Dolby Digital Live.
Reply Quote
Sounds like a tech question to post in the support forums, rather than general game comments.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Hubris
Sounds like a tech question to post in the support forums, rather than general game comments.

Yea I would of posted it there, but I don't have a valid D3 license (never got accepted to beta, but I did preorder D3 like a few hours ago)
Edited by Espionage724#1903 on 5/2/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Bump, surely a blue could step in and answer this?

I mainly want to know if Diablo III will be able to use Dolby Digital for surround sound?
Reply Quote
Audio for gaming is encoded in EAX.
Reply Quote
Please don't bump your post, it annoys blues, they probably won't respond if you annoy them! Perhaps try the tech form, looking at the technical FAQ/description of the product, or a different form of communication.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
05/11/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Empty
Please don't bump your post, it annoys blues, they probably won't respond if you annoy them! Perhaps try the tech form, looking at the technical FAQ/description of the product, or a different form of communication.

Can't post in tech forum... try posting in the tech forum!
Reply Quote
05/11/2012 08:15 PMPosted by FuB
Audio for gaming is encoded in EAX.

Diablo III doesn't use EAX (to my knowledge anyway). It is using FMOD, which then plays sound through speakers depending on how they appear in Windows (something like that)

Under normal conditions, that wouldn't be a problem. When your sending audio over a SPDIF cable, you will only get 2 Channel audio by default.

There is technology called Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect that can take the audio in it's normal format, and send it over the SPDIF cable in a format readable by the receiver (in other words, it converts audio from whatever standard it is using to Dolby Digital or DTS). This is a hardware feature too, and not present on all cards (including my Xonar DG card).

For audio that is native Dolby Digital or DTS, you don't need to do the conversion process over SPDIF.

My question is, does Diablo III have Dolby Digital?

05/11/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Empty

I made the same thread a few months back, didn't get a response. Only reason I didn't respond on it was because it was moved to tech support forums, which if you didn't know, is only accessible to those with a Diablo III license (I was never invited to beta).

05/11/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Beastxjason
I got it from my hdmi on geforce to reciever.

HDMI doesn't have the 2-channel restriction or need the conversion process that SPDIF needs, so surround sound in those conditions should work easily :)

05/11/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Axies
Can't post in tech forum... try posting in the tech forum!

Looks like you can post there now, guess it was changed recently
Edited by Espionage724#1903 on 5/13/2012 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 07:44 PMPosted by maetijip
If you were serious about sound, you would invest in a proper DAC. The sound quality of that "xonar" makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Which is why I don't use onboard DAC (the receiver's DAC is used over SPDIF)
Reply Quote
I know D2 had it, but I'm thinking it was proprietary SoundBlaster 5.1. Interesting question I hope we find the answer to.
Reply Quote
I just got done installing the game. There doesn't appear to be any trace of Dolby Digital :(
Reply Quote
I play over spdif to my receiver and only getting 2 channels! help!
Reply Quote
to those of you that have your computers hooked up through an HDMI cable to a receiver. If you set your speaker settings in your sound card to 5.1/7.1 you will be able to get PCM (uncompressed audio) out of diablo 3. it might make a different, I have never had it set to anything different but the surround sound is pretty badass.

but as far as the compressed stuff (DTS / Digital) I don't have a clue how to get that working, although, it has a bunch of dolby logos on the game box i bought so it must be in there somewhere
Edited by djkorben#1146 on 5/21/2012 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]