Diablo® III

Cell phone requirement for RMAH #2

38 Human Priest
For those of you with prepaid phones that -do- work with Mobile Alerts, what model phones and providers are you using? I've heard people saying some work. I sent an e-mail to Blizzard support, but the answer I received wasn't any more specific than the FAQ provided. I was going to pick up a cheap Verizon prepaid phone (I need a new phone anyway), since I've read about people being able to link their prepaid Verizon phones to Mobile Alerts.
Im on U.S. cellular and had no problem getting mine activated. I see no problem here.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/05/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Jeido
Im on U.S. cellular and had no problem getting mine activated. I see no problem here.

How wonderful that is for you! But since you won't be the only person playing Diablo 3, and around 80% of the phone people have playing it do not work, there does seem to be a problem here.
110 Human Priest
05/05/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Lidel
For those of you with prepaid phones that -do- work with Mobile Alerts, what model phones and providers are you using? I've heard people saying some work. I sent an e-mail to Blizzard support, but the answer I received wasn't any more specific than the FAQ provided. I was going to pick up a cheap Verizon prepaid phone (I need a new phone anyway), since I've read about people being able to link their prepaid Verizon phones to Mobile Alerts.

Sadly we aren't allowed to discuss with each other which plans/providers work because if Blizzard lets us leave the information up on the forum they get in legal trouble - which has been the reason so many threads and posts on this topic have been deleted.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/skittleisme/d3cellphone.jpg

It's cellphone roulette, really. Blizzard has a sudden minimum requirement to unlock All of Diablo 3's advertised features we already prepaid for, and they can't even legally tell us what the hell it is, further adding to the ridiculousness of this SMS they're pushing.

There really needs to be alternate options, Blizzard - Like a Landline verification.
Gonna write this one more time. (this is a long one and it has a few complications that might make it partially wrong)

We have OPTION 1:

You have a b.net account,
you attached a verified PayPal to it,
and you have a physical authenticator.
If they need to know who you are you can send them a copy of your nationally accepted ID (PayPal already asked for that already but fine you can give Blizz one as well).
When you sell items on the RMAH if you choose to put them in b.net balance its fine and you can do it.
When you sell items and choose the "cash out" to PayPal and when you buy items with funds from PayPal(unless it's against local laws and in that case be sure using PayPal or "cashing out" will not be allowed by Blizzard in your country of residence already) they will ask every 2 days (just like mobile alerts would now) to enter the 1st 6 characters of your D3 activation key AND a time sensitive authenticator generated code (and optionally a security question) and then you can do transactions fine for 2 days (just like with mobile alerts and that SMS code).

It's secure, they know who you are, you have a very small chance of getting hacked unless some guy knows you, your name, your house, your ip, your activation key for D3 that you have in your house and steals your authenticator (all at the same time, all done by the same guy).

They also send you emails about suspicious activity and PayPal related transactions.
-------------------------------------
Then we have OPTION 2:

You have a b.net account,
you attached a verified PayPal to it,
and you have a mobile phone that has a data plan (or whatever it needs to work, this doesn't verify who you are in all cases since it works with some pre-paid phones).
On this phone you have a mobile authenticator free app (that you are not forced to activate even if you should, see below why) and you also have Mobile Alerts on.
Nvm the fact that this scre/ws over soooo many people that don't have supported phones.
When doing PayPal transactions through PayPal you get SMSs with codes every 2 days and everything is fine.
And nvm that some people will be charged for each SMS they recieve.

This is where the bad stuff starts to happen (even if you are lucky to have a phone that works or will work with Mobile Alerts since they are extending coverage for that).

You lose your phone (or one 1 guy steals it).
Well good news. You now have the potential to get f*****. (and it's greater than with option 1).

If he has your phone he CAN find out your: name, b.net account name, email, unlink your mobile authenticator (it's on the same damn phone). All this happens in stages ofc, first name and account name (service provided by Mobile Alerts), then with name he can change password, unlink authenticator and add another one locking you out.

(there is a very small stretch of imagination here since Mobile Alerts does ask you for some things, the problem is most of those things can be found out if he has the phone)

If he does get this info from your phone (yea maybe he is someone that knows who you are, from work or whatever) and with a little yahoo account hacking he can now use your PayPal money to buy really fast hundreds of 250$ items from the AH and trade them to some other alt of his on a b.net account with a fake name and then to another one with PayPal (that is real) and sell them = thousands of dollars of your money that changed hands a few times and all this in 1 day while you talk to customer service trying to block your account before this happens.

All the while this is happening you just know your phone is missing. If he locked you out of the b.net you can't even make tickets. You start making new accounts and talking to customer service (you also have to deal with other real life problems caused by having your phone stolen, perhaps before dealing with b.net).

In conclusion...this OPTION 2 is awesome...lets go with this one just because people are more likely to report their missing phone in time (before they get totally scre/wed) instead of taking care of their physical authenticator (that even if stolen doesn't offer data about who they are or what account it's linked to) that protects the money in their linked PayPal.

Thumbs up. +1 <- SARCASM

Don't bother pointing out flaws in my semi-theoretical story (it can happen in option 2 and it has a lot less chances of happening in option 1, it is most definitely not impossible to happen in either and I realize that and so should you).
------------------------------
Ofc no one will read all of this and just like 6 pages back some ppl will call me crazy other will complain about post length and improbability of this happening (if it's improbably why not go with option 1?).

Your one liners about why Blizzard HAS TO DO THIS and how we have to GTFO and deal with it haven't explained anything yet and I'm not going to resort to one liners to vaguely counter a vague (and theoretical, since no one here knows exactly why this is happening) response to a very clear problem, so you deal with it or don't read my posts (I think we even have ignore options, or "get off this thread if you don't care about this" solution).

TL:DR - NO read it or don't.
Edited by Kain#2376 on 5/5/2012 12:22 PM PDT
^Agree fully w/ Kain's post above.

I own a Verified PP account and a physical authenticator token but because I don't own a ripoff phone I'm still too sketchy to use RMAH? C'mon.
05/05/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Oxe
Security questions, simple solution to thwart hackers that doesn't require any additional accessories not related to Blizzard.

Security questions though can easily be gained access to by just about any keylogger program where as something like an authenticator even with a keylogger on your computer it takes a really advanced one to be able to get into your account during the 40sec window the code stays the same.
34 Human Paladin
Mine didn't work so I switched to T-mobile prepaid, and it took it, I am using the cheapest plan which costs me $4 a month.
34 Human Paladin
Also if you want use the cellphone just for RMAH and not for other business, buy the $10 credit and it lasts 90 days (3 months), I am sure everyone can afford that, it's $3.33 a month.
05/05/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Paumer
Also if you want use the cellphone just for RMAH and not for other business, buy the $10 credit and it lasts 90 days (3 months), I am sure everyone can afford that, it's $3.33 a month.

It honestly doesn't matter how much it is a month whether it be a small amount or alot, what matters is we were given absolutely no reason why we now need a phone with sms alerts in the first place. Why should i now have to pay some other company to have full access to another companies game? My authenticator that i already bought from the company does the exact same thing and actually made them money unlike the phone requirement, so why doesn't it work?

Before someone points out "well durr you have to pay for internet also to even play the game" thats completely irrelevant since you need it to play or download alot of games anyway and the cost of net doesn't even make gaming companies money unlike my authenticator which i had to buy.
Edited by Testament#1403 on 5/5/2012 1:20 PM PDT
34 Human Paladin
05/05/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Oxe

The cost of a cell phone is irrelevant. If you don't need or want a cell phone then that argument is done. There's no reason for Blizzard to require something for the handling of money that banks don't require.

I bet you're one of those guys that cried about the Authenticators too when it was first released. A cheap solution is presented and you chose to ignore it. You have my permission to keep whining on the forum.
34 Human Paladin
05/05/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Lidel

Verizon prepaid also works, I bought one for my nephew and he's able to sign up for Mobile Alert. May I suggest buying a prepaid card that lasts for one year, it'll cost you $8 a month.

Edit: Any prepaid models work, the cheapest one they have is $19.99 with $10 credit included, the credit lasts for 60 days. You have the option to refill it only when you need to use it for RMAH if you wish.
Edited by Peek#1432 on 5/5/2012 1:24 PM PDT
05/05/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Paumer
Verizon prepaid also works, I bought one for my nephew and he's able to sign up for Mobile Alert. May I suggest buying a prepaid card that lasts for one year, it'll cost you $8 a month.

$8 a month that honestly should not have to be paid to have access to all the features of the game when i already have working net and an authenticator.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]