Diablo® III

let's talk about enrage timers

Jay Wilson recently said there would be enrage timers on enemies in Inferno, although we have known about enrage timers for months now due to the patch notes.

I think that enrage timers on specific boss encounters is fine. What I don't want is for every other champion pack I come across in Inferno to have an enrage timer. It's a gimmicky mechanic that is very punishing.

It also punishes players for coming up with 'survival' builds that do very little dps but has a lot of focus on self heals and damage avoidance/reduction.
Jay Wilson recently said there would be enrage timers on enemies in Inferno, although we have known about enrage timers for months now due to the patch notes.

I think that enrage timers on specific boss encounters is fine. What I don't want is for every other champion pack I come across in Inferno to have an enrage timer. It's a gimmicky mechanic that is very punishing.

It also punishes players for coming up with 'survival' builds that do very little dps but has a lot of focus on self heals and damage avoidance/reduction.

I would think any type of enrage timer on regular champion packs will be a relatively long time. This prevents a lvl 60 in blues from kiting around champion packs for 30 minutes per pack. I think once properly geared from hell this will be a non-issue for regular mobs.
Edited by Juslod#1434 on 5/4/2012 11:30 AM PDT
i hate timers!!! =(
When did he say there would be enrage timers? I hope this is a joke. I didn't sign up for wow2
Wow I had no clue about any of this :S

This was my plan lol.
90 Worgen Priest
Wow I had no clue about any of this :S

This was my plan lol.

yep, time to aim for balanced builds.
If there really are enrage timers I hope they aren't short enough to invalidate my kiting based Wizard build.
Could we get a source on this? Not saying it's not true, but with all the stuff that gets slung around these forums it's hard to take anything seriously unless it's backed up.
OP. site your source for this. Just checked the forums and I'm not seeing anything from Jay about this.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does an enrage timer entail?

By context of this thread it sounds like bosses get a lot harder after a certain amount of time after initial contact. How drastic are we talking? A double damage/25% heal boost or something along those lines after 60 seconds or whatever, wouldn't be the end of the world, or all that gimmicky.

If its one of the 3-4 affixes randomly placed on elites/champs I'd be fine with that.
i believe from this site:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3205698
86 Human Paladin
I'm not excited about enrage timers on non-bosses.
Tbh, it's probably just something reserved for bosses to prevent a 30 minute kite battle when you shouldn't be there in the first place. I doubt champions will have enrage timers. I am not a fan of enrage timers, this is something that is appropriate for WoW ala gear checks but this is Diablo, skill should be above gear.

Also, was this announced over twitter?

i believe from this site:

Just being able to make creatures that are faster than the player, which you don’t really see in the earlier difficulties very often -- we can make any kind of common creature faster. And you take all that, and we also have enraged timers, where if you don’t kill the monsters in a certain amount of time, they enrage and then they do massive damage.
Edited by GlockworK#1309 on 5/4/2012 11:55 AM PDT
05/04/2012 11:39 AMPosted by slayer
OP. site your source for this. Just checked the forums and I'm not seeing anything from Jay about this.

Jay: I guess your question is, is the game going to get more challenging? I can say, unequivocally... and I don’t like to firmly stamp my foot down on things -- because that almost always comes back to bite me -- but I can honestly say, that the end-game of Diablo III is way more challenging than Diablo II; way more.

There’s none of the... because we’ve added Inferno -- the max-level difficulty -- there’s no case where you had in Diablo II, where you simply out-levelled and out-geared the content. The content stays relevant. So it takes... when you get into Inferno for the first time, if you haven’t spent time in Hell, just farming for gear, you will get crushed.

We die... we have encounters in the Inferno mode, where we will die a dozen times trying to take a rare down. And I mean, that rare, not only do they have a host of different abilities that we don’t even have earlier in the game -- things like the ability to create walls in front of me and enemies; the ability to do all different kinds of spells and effects that control area around the player and dish out damage.

Just being able to make creatures that are faster than the player, which you don’t really see in the earlier difficulties very often -- we can make any kind of common creature faster. And you take all that, and we also have enraged timers, where if you don’t kill the monsters in a certain amount of time, they enrage and then they do massive damage.

You take all those things together, and it creates an experience that’s a lot more challenging.
Enrage timers on random packs could help prevent people from bypassing content. If you kite them around too long, they enrage, gaining movement speed/attack rate/damage.
I really don't see the problem with this, most complaints are people who don't enjoy WoW. I think regardless of where the idea came from, if it's a good mechanic that adds a bit of depth I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented.
90 Worgen Priest
05/04/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Grizzly
I really don't see the problem with this, most complaints are people who don't enjoy WoW. I think regardless of where the idea came from, if it's a good mechanic that adds a bit of depth I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented.

Hard enrage timers are out of place in diablo, I feel like soft enrage timers are better.
I don't mind enrage timers :D

Who gives a !@#$ if it was used in WoW? People want a challenging game, and that is what Blizzard is trying to give. Like above posts have said, it helps avoid cheap tactics.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]