Diablo® III

let's talk about enrage timers

So they are gonna put enrage timers on bosses even though they make our most powerful attacks on Cooldown. That make ZERO sense. They are saying " We don't want you to kill bosses so fast, so you can't use your best moves but every few minutes. Oh, and if you don't kill him after using 2 or 3 of the CD's he will enrage and kill you." So I have to kite around(I play sorceresss) using my most weak attacks and hope that you can kill it before it engrages and your still waiting on CD's. That is really stupid.

To those saying who cares, they are trying to avoid people getting around boss battles, I say, Thats not a good arguement. If I find a way to play a game that fits my style a doesn't involve cheating, then what is it Blizzards business how I do it. They are creating a game and then saying, if you don't play our way, the mosters will get harder and kill you. Sounds like Blizzard is making it so I play their way. Diablo is all about play style, and they are taking that away, we all now will have to play fairly the same(all balanced builds) or else there is no progressing.
90 Human Rogue
^ Pretty sure the enrage timers are not THAT quick
I don't know how long they are, but I was just using those numbers as examples.

citation needed of course... I read that they do not think an HC character can complete inferno, just before they said players always surprise them...

The source is on this same page of the thread. Plz read.

http://twitter.com/#!/Angryrobotics/status/196234226159460352

This is what the tweet says:

Not really, but please consider that as a challenge. :)

How does that say inferno is unbeatable by HC characters?
Does it really bother you guys so much? Think of it as another 'phase'. Go down to the street, punch someone in the face. Repeat untill:
a) the police arrives. That's the enrage timer. It WILL be harder to run away and/or fight now. =)
b) someone shoots you.
Either way, there's your enrage timer lol.
On a serious note, I used to play D2 with /players8 on all the time. Because of that, whenever I reached a boss just by progressing normally, I was not strong enough to fight him and of course, I diddn't want /players8 off because of loot. So I would go in, TP, hit hit hit hit potion hit hit hit hit untill I died or 'till I had no potions left and ran back to the portal. Repeat 'till it's dead.
I do realise that this is JUST ME saying. But I don't think that's the best way to play a game. You should only face a boss when you're ready to kill it. I personally like the enrage timer. Feels like an extra challenge.
90 Human Mage
What does that even mean?

You really need me to explain that? Using cheesy maneuvers to defeat the AI. I.e. standing back and whittling the boss down, because it wasn't designed to chase you around, or whittle you back. Finding loopholes in the AI is cheez mode. And these loopholes usually end up dragging out a fights for extended periods...hence enrage timers. The Boss get's so pissed off at you for being cheezy, he enrages and kills you. :)

Can't think of a game in which enrage timers were ever done right. Can you?

If you don't agree with the enrage mechanic, nothing I say will convince you.
05/05/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Blackthorne

You really need me to explain that? Using cheesy maneuvers to defeat the AI. I.e. standing back and whittling the boss down, because it wasn't designed to chase you around, or whittle you back. Finding loopholes in the AI is cheez mode. And these loopholes usually end up dragging out a fights for extended periods...hence enrage timers. The Boss get's so pissed off at you for being cheezy, he enrages and kills you. :)

Can't think of a game in which enrage timers were ever done right. Can you?

If you don't agree with the enrage mechanic, nothing I say will convince you.

I don't agree with out of place enrage mechanics. Since we both play wow :

Soft enrage = good
Hard enrage on ultraxion = good
Everything else = bad cause they seem like deus ex machina.
90 Human Mage
Do we even have any info as to the types of enrage we'll see? Maybe it will be random, like everything else.
05/05/2012 07:49 AMPosted by Blackthorne
Do we even have any info as to the types of enrage we'll see? Maybe it will be random, like everything else.

We don't, but I hope it's not a sudden hard enrage relying upon third party sources for information.
85 Worgen Death Knight
People are trying to analyze this way way way too much.

If you take too long to kill a boss, he enrages and will defeat you. The end.

This is to prevent cheese tactics in fighting the boss in a way he wasn't meant to be killed.

If you disagree with this, and want to cheese encounters, then nothing I can say will fix your way of thinking, just go play another game or something where you can exploit stuff.
People are trying to analyze this way way way too much.

If you take too long to kill a boss, he enrages and will defeat you. The end.

This is to prevent cheese tactics in fighting the boss in a way he wasn't meant to be killed.

If you disagree with this, and want to cheese encounters, then nothing I can say will fix your way of thinking, just go play another game or something where you can exploit stuff.
People exploit stuff in wow all the time, presence of enrage =/= no exploits.
Presence of enrage = needing to use creative game mechanics.
Geaux enrage timers remove skill and leads to boring itemization.

so what ilvl do we need to beat inferno skeleton king?

Lol Im sick of this Im done .......if your going to post try researching stuff. Like half the ppl on here !@#$% bout stuff and havnt even reshereched.....

Your answer is LVL 60 Nuub seen as you have to be lvl 60 just to get in Inferno.....Geez
05/05/2012 08:46 AMPosted by ShaggyIIDot
Your answer is LVL 60 Nuub seen as you have to be lvl 60 just to get in Inferno.....Geez

Not that I agree with what hes saying but ilevel =\= character level. ilevel is Item level.. completely different.
05/05/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Noxifer

You really need me to explain that?.

I actually didn't need you to explain, it was a rhetorical question that was intended to make you to think what the hell you're saying. What you call cheezy may be perfectly valid way to play.

Using cheesy maneuvers to defeat the AI. I.e. standing back and whittling the boss down, because it wasn't designed to chase you around, or whittle you back.

Congratulations, you just described what a ranged character is supposed to do as cheesy, the only thing to note is that if the boss does not chase you it's the fault of the devs and not yours.
Enrage timer does not in any way prevent you to kite a boss, it only makes builds with less DPS output rendered not-viable. If i successfully manage to kite a boss, dodge all his attacks and continuously do damage while the boss fails to kill me why is it that i must be punished?
Whats your solution? Call all those builds cheesy and call it a day...

Oh yeah, and do you even know whats the intent behind enrage times in... let's say WoW? It is not to bring any difficulty, because there is no difficulty in enrage timers. It is to set up proportion between DPSers and Healers, because i might wanna run with 15 healers to make it easy for myself.
However, the same does not exactly apply to an action RPG like Diablo. In Diablo i might wanna play alone and there are no roles such as in an mmo. So if i do play alone you might say "then make your build in a certain proportion between damage and healing the same way you do in a raid in an mmo". OK, but this is not MMO! This is supposed to be an action RPG. If i dodge everything and do everything right i am not supposed to die! Why should i get punished with enrage timer?
This is like "OMG, a musician managed to hit all the right notes. Unacceptable, brake his fingers!"
Again, why does is it that Blizzard are incorporating mmo mechanics into an action RPG? RMAH, we can't sell skill or brain, but we can sure make some money from cuts from the gear...

Or, you know, they might make it work differently then in an MMO?

We wouldn't know this, because we know exactly nothing about how it works in D3.

But please, do go on about how it will take all of the "skill" out of Inferno, and tell us exactly how it will pan out, since, you know, you have played Inferno, and have all the details about how this system will work in Diablo 3.

These forums are utterly hilarious.
Srry I See now. but you know what I mean :(
Why can't the character ENRAGE, when they fight a boss for a while and hes still not dead?
Where's all the people Saying the game would be too easy now ?

Seriously guys , for the past month all threads were about Diablo 3 being too easy and would been a kids game .... now you're whining because u will get killed.....make no sense.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]