Diablo® III

Does revenge have an internal cooldown?

When I first read revenge I thought that there was an up to 30% chance to gain 5% life after suffering damage, but apparently you gain 5% life per enemy hit with the retaliation strike and as far as the tooltip goes this ability is automatic.

Enemies would seriously have to blast your character down you down for 10% of your effective health or more per hit to even come close to damaging your character assuming you have no other abilities that regenerate health.

Is this exessive? Am I reading it wrong? Is there some internal cooldown on this ability?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
What you talking about?

Revenge
Might

Revenge has a 15% chance to become active each time you are hit.

Inflict 220% weapon damage to all nearby enemies. You heal 5.0% of your maximum Life for each enemy hit.

It's very clear. The ability is not automatic, it has a 15% chance per hit taken to become active, then you have to use the skill and you will deal damage and heal yourself for 5% of your maximum health per enemy hit by the attack. No internal cooldown whatsoever is mentioned (no "has a chance of..." in the tooltip).

I'm too lazy to remember the actual statistics calculations but I will assume you would need to be hit on avarage 6 times before it becomes active. If you are playing inferno 6 hits would do a lot damage. It's a very powerful skill, but not as strong as you think. The range is unkown but if it's meele range it will probably only hit 2 to 4 mobs per use.
Reply Quote
So it has a global cooldown then? That seems more reasonable.
Reply Quote
I seriously doubt it has an internal cooldown. I haven't seen anything in D3 that had one, so why this?

If it had one, I bet you they would add "cannot occur more than once ever X seconds" to the tooltip.
Reply Quote
I was expecting such a tooltip as well, but without such a limiter on it, this skill seems too good. A 30% chance to get 15-25% health back at no rage cost with no cooldown? Yes please!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Did you guys even read my post? Revenge has NO internal cooldown, only a flat 15% chance to proc. And yes there are OTHER skills/runes that have internal cooldowns, any skill that says "has a chance of... " (like overpower) means it has an internal cooldown. This internal cooldown is probably based on your attack speed.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Hoffdruid
any skill that says "has a chance of... " (like overpower) means it has an internal cooldown
This is based on what exactly?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
any skill that says "has a chance of... " (like overpower) means it has an internal cooldown
This is based on what exactly?

On my interpretation of the text and the fact that no skill specifically says that it has an internal cooldown. Internal cooldowns are usually based on your attack speed, so you can't put "won't proc again for 5 seconds". In order to avoid explaining this on the tooltip (making the tooltip confusing) blizzard decided to make it ambiguous and let you find out by reading external sources (like they said they would).

This makes more sense for me. Why put "Has a chance of... " in the tooltip of some skills while others specifically say "Has a 15% chance of..." if not for avoiding to explain that the skill has an internal cooldown?
Edited by Hoff#1748 on 5/5/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Hoffdruid
Why put "Has a chance of... " in the tooltip of some skills while others specifically say "Has a 15% chance of..." if not for avoiding to explain that the skill has an internal cooldown?
Good point, hadn't thought of that.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Yeah those skills that say: "You have a chance to get X Fury/AP/Hatred/etc when you Crit" make it seem that stacking attack speed would be good because you would proc more. But actually the benefit will be the same if they normalize the proc chance based on attack speed on those skills.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]