Diablo® III

Irvine Launch Question/Problem

100 Night Elf Druid
So I just telephoned the Gamestop at the Irvine Spectrum where the official Blizzard Launch Party is. I asked about the collector's editions of the game.

According tot he employee the copies that they had pre-ordered months ago are the ONLY collector's edition copies that they will be getting. MEANING that ANYBODY that plans on showing up for the singing that didn't preorder at this gamestop well before it was announced as a launch destination will be denied collectors' editions.

this is particularly troubling to me because Frys' always was smart enough to stock enough copies for everybody (the hundreds) of people that showed up. The employee said he didn't know if Blizzard would bring extra copies but said that the plan was to raffle them if such a thing were to happen.

I've been to EVERY blizzard launch since Burning Crusade and this is sorely disappointing. I love getting a collectors edition and having everybody sign it. (As we all know there isn't room on a regular edition for that many signatures). But if this is what it comes down to that I can't get a nice collectors edition I will instead give my business to Frys the next day rather than sit for hours and get an edition I don't want and consequently not have enough room for people to sign it.

I'm posting this for two reasons

1. Community knowledge - the more people that are aware that this is a botched launch event because of Gamestop the better

2. Clarification - Hopefully somebody from Blizzard can or will respond to this to clarify or ease my concerns because I will not waste my time sitting in line all day to be denied the copy I want - I'd rather just give my business to Frys again.
Edited by Eliandra on 5/4/2012 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I hope it works out for you, Eliandra. Blizzard should have known better than to schedule a launch event at a Gamestop, anyhow.

I think I have only ever visited one Gamestop that was managed well and employed people with IQs above room temperature.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I have not once had a problem with a Frys launch (at either location) but this is the EXACT reason I was concerned with the gamestop launch because of their awful pre-order policy (that and store size for autographs) but largely it's the collector's editions that concern me as it hurts the autographs and I really don't want to own a regular edition.

Ironically this is Gamestop keeping me from giving blizzard more money.
Reply Quote
Limited Editions, how do they work?

Oh yeah, that's right - you don't wait until the last minute, 6 months after it's announced.

WoW...
Reply Quote
Out of CE!!!!!!

/sipscoffee

what a shocker with 10 days to go.
Reply Quote
Did either of you even READ her post?

Have you ever been to a midnight launch event? Didn't think so.

It has nothing to do with "running out" or "limited editions."

Any store that knows what it's doing for these events has prepared with adequate copies, of all editions for sale. The last thing you want at a launch event is lots of unhappy customers.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
On top of it, Frys doesn't do pre-orders at all. So anybody at the launch events for frys never had to worry about that, nor could they - they just stocked extra copies like crazy to sell it. But KNOWING that Blizzard would do a launch party but NOT knowing WHERE it would be is the problem.

I don't normally say this in forums but how is your reading comprehension? What was I supposed to do? Pre-order it at every store in the county and wait for Blizzard to announce where they would do it? And even then I had no reason to assume it was a Gamestop since the following were ALWAYS at Frys.

World of Warcraft
Burning Crusade
Wrath of the Litch King
Cataclysm
Starcraft 2

It has NEVER been a problem before at a blizzard launch event - until now and this is entirely because it's at Gamestop.
Reply Quote
Awww man. I had planned on driving to this event early because I wanted a signed collector's edition/thought the event would be fun and heard that they always have plenty of CEs. Hopefully Blizzard can confirm if this is the case. If it is, I guess I gotta go to Fry's or Walmart at midnight instead....
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Eliandra
MEANING that ANYBODY that plans on showing up for the singing

Hold the phones.. no one told me there would be SINGING!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Actually there has been singing at two launches. A few blizzard employees are parts of bands and LV 80 elite tauren chieftan have performed a couple of times. . .so yes, there has been and likely will be singing.
Reply Quote
The reason they are having it at the Irvine Spectrum is for all the parking vs the congestion that always occurred with these events when it was held at Frys.
Reply Quote
Don't they normally have the main event at the fountain valley fry's?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Yes normally but not this time. I understand the congestion issue but that's hardly I think the greater concern, if you think about it, parking may have been a problem but placing a line wasn't. Where do you put a line at the Spectrum without blocking general public ingress and egress?

I get that it's there regardless, my greater concern is a supply issue and autograph issue consequently. Unless I know these are being addressed I don't see it as worth attending, I've already advised about a dozen or so other people that were planning on attending this as normal that unless the issue is addressed (specifically I mean clarified) that it is better to just get the game elsewhere.
Reply Quote
The sad reality is that Gamestop employees are sometimes highly suspect in the information they give out. Part of it is a lack of centralized information distribution from the corporate level, which is where Blizzard's interactions with Gamestop occur.

The employees at the counter are frequently high school and college students making $10 an hour at a part-time job. They aren't paid to know much more than release dates, how to upsell you on a Gamestop membership program, and how to convince you they're as excited about <insert game here> as you are, yet are somehow just as excited about the next person in line's game of choice, even if it's on a vastly different platform and genre.

"Sorry, man, we don't have the first Deus Ex here, but I frickin' love that game! I was just playing it the other night!"

The manager at your local Gamestop? They're making $12 an hour with a guaranteed 40 hours a week. They know exactly what the 16 year-old kid making $10 an hour and "excited about Deus Ex" knows, plus they know when shipments are dropped off, whether the store is having a midnight release, and when each employee on a given shift is taking their break. That's it.

You'll know them, because they aren't nearly as enthusiastic about a given game as their employees are. They mostly want to keep the store from experiencing a nerd meltdown when someone can't find something and throws a fit. They're also secretly hoping the snot-nosed kids bawling their eyes out over something or other are taken outside the store before childless (and probably romantic partner-less) "elite gamers" start thinking maybe they'll have a better experience getting their game through Steam so they can keep snorfling down the Cheetos while they're waiting for the 40 GB download to complete.

In short, there is every possibility that there will be plenty of Collector's Editions at an official launch that has actual Blizzard employees present. Yes, they may be raffled off if you don't have an existing pre-order. There's no real way of knowing.

Show up at the event, hope to get what you're looking for. If you get word while in line that there are no Collector's Editions for sale, grumble a bit, then go back home, get some sleep, and wait at a big-box store like Target, Fry's, Best Buy or WalMart. Once they open their doors that morning, go to the electronics department and drop the $100 for your copy, then go home and play the game.
Edited by Silentman#1247 on 5/5/2012 11:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I would be surprised if we're relying on the store's normal stock to fill the potential demand at the event. On the other hand the number of Collector's Editions we printed is finite so maybe it's not out of the realm of possibility. Thanks for bringing it up though, I'll pass this along/look into it.
Reply Quote
I actually attended a GameStop launch event for Halo 3, and it went quite well.

Stupid games, karaoke, Halo Trivia, and Halo 2 Slayer games were the order of the six hours I waited. In between watching people make fools of themselves for coupons and prize tickets, I got some nice loot (Halo 3 and others). I caught up on two volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist.

The people who organized that event in Brush Prairie, Washington knew what they were doing.

It may be the case here as well; you're just upset that they don't carry around extra CE's for anyone who may walk through the door.

GameStop doesn't stock extra; that costs money.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Ive been to a midnight release of every blizzard game made starting with Diablo 2. Only ONCE have i seen a gaming shop have extra collectors editions. There were only 2 copies and it was because the people who ordered them canceled the pre order after they were already shipped. Collector editions are for collectors. Meaning hardcore collectors who reserve CE copies before they exsist. You cant be a collector if you stroll in the night of launch and expect them to have them. If there was such an abundance of them they wouldnt really be that special and collectable would they?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
05/05/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Nullyn
Ive been to a midnight release of every blizzard game made starting with Diablo 2. Only ONCE have i seen a gaming shop have extra collectors editions.

Well, to be fair, product availability tends to be a little different at our official events. The Fry's we've had most of our official US events at had so many Burning Crusade CE's they still had copies 2+ years after the expansion released.
Reply Quote
05/06/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Bashiok
Ive been to a midnight release of every blizzard game made starting with Diablo 2. Only ONCE have i seen a gaming shop have extra collectors editions.

Well, to be fair, product availability tends to be a little different at our official events. The Fry's we've had most of our official US events at had so many Burning Crusade CE's they still had copies 2+ years after the expansion released.

Quick side query there Bashiok; Why do we not see any Blizzard events in Australia? Namely no Diablo 3 Launch? You have the playerbase here for certain..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]