Diablo® III

Irvine Launch Question/Problem

Community Manager
05/06/2012 12:08 AMPosted by Sherlock
Quick side query there Bashiok; Why do we not see any Blizzard events in Australia? Namely no Diablo 3 Launch? You have the playerbase here for certain..

We think it'd be keen! But with a regional midnight launch in pacific time it means the down under is about to play in the early evening. Having a midnight launch event didn't make much sense when the servers are up for you at 3-5pm. Open to feedback on that though.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
05/06/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Welly
bashiok.. is getting your signature or playing of the game more important?

Signature, as I'm set to be signing until 2am I want as many people as possible to be unable to start playing right at midnight.
Reply Quote
05/06/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Bashiok

Signature, as I'm set to be signing until 2am I want as many people as possible to be unable to start playing right at midnight.

tell your friend I said happy bday
Reply Quote

Just *accidentally* trip on the 'digital activation' wire... shut down everybody! Then plug it back in once you can play lol.

Edit: I'm guessing the digital activation wire is somewhere near that control room you guys have (you know, the one with steam and big red lights).
Edited by Onetwo#1132 on 5/6/2012 1:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone have any idea if it's possible to transfer a Gamestop preorder? I always preorder an extra as a "just in case" but have gotten Cataclysm and SC2 CE's at the Fry's launches. I just want to be sure that I can get a CE there and have it signed.

I imagine that there will be ample copies on hand like Fry's...but I want to be sure.

Also, I hope to see you soon Bash, my D3 forum hero!
Edited by Maorae#1367 on 5/6/2012 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
05/06/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Bashiok
Quick side query there Bashiok; Why do we not see any Blizzard events in Australia? Namely no Diablo 3 Launch? You have the playerbase here for certain..

We think it'd be keen! But with a regional midnight launch in pacific time it means the down under is about to play in the early evening. Having a midnight launch event didn't make much sense when the servers are up for you at 3-5pm. Open to feedback on that though.

Considering this; What about events in Canada?
The time differences aren't nearly as sharp and there is a very good chunk of population across the country.

I know Futureshop is hosting events in 3 cities for D3 - But it'd be nice to see Blizzard come up sometime.
Reply Quote
I would also love to see some Canadian launch events.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
05/06/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Bashiok
Ive been to a midnight release of every blizzard game made starting with Diablo 2. Only ONCE have i seen a gaming shop have extra collectors editions.

Well, to be fair, product availability tends to be a little different at our official events. The Fry's we've had most of our official US events at had so many Burning Crusade CE's they still had copies 2+ years after the expansion released.

Ok thank you VERY much for answering my question. That actually is enough to quell my fears enough that I will try going for the launch party - my wife and I arrive pretty early.

I'm not surprised if this is some misinformation being spread by gamestop (intentionally or not) as I have had confusing and conflicting reports from them before (including from the same location on the same day). It just seems ill advised to me to have a launch where you get some of the most devoted fans and can't supply beyond who happened to preorder there months before without knowing that there would be a special event.

I am NORMALLY within the first 100 people in line so from what you're saying I should be ok. But yeah, I know Frys continues to overstock (not sure if they will because they don't have a launch event) as I was just there two weeks ago and saw about five or six copies of Cataclysm's special edition still on the shelf. that said I also recall the original WoW launch resulting in Blizzard employees driving back to HQ to secure more copies for the unexpected turnout.

Considering this is the long awaited return of a loved franchise I fully expect a large turnout as this one - Starcraft 2 had a pretty large group as well but didn't approach WoW numbers but I blame that on accessibility of the game.

Once again thank you for clearing this up, knowing that Blizzard won't just be counting on the gamestop pre-order stock for collector's editions is enough to restore my faith to go to the event - my quall was with gamestop, not Blizzard.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 11:36 PMPosted by Bashiok
I would be surprised if we're relying on the store's normal stock to fill the potential demand at the event. On the other hand the number of Collector's Editions we printed is finite so maybe it's not out of the realm of possibility. Thanks for bringing it up though, I'll pass this along/look into it.

Bashiok, sorry to trouble you but as for us fans in Singapore/Malaysia, we've heard no news from the official distributor (Asiasoft) regarding Collector's Editions.

Given it's only slightly more than a week to launch, I'm greatly disappointed. I've also heard rumors we can only get the CE 1-2 weeks after the 15th. This delay has prevented a lot of us from potentially buying a US Edition CE from an online retailer. A lot of us have also pre-ordered the retail standard edition and it would seem a waste if we had to buy a 2nd copy of Diablo 3 as a CE.

I've written to them, called them and posted a long post on their Facebook page but so far no replies. =/ I've also opened a ticket with Blizzard but they seem to have misunderstood my questions.

In the interest of space, I've decided not to attach my entire letter. It can be found at https://www.facebook.com/notes/asiasoft/d3-collectors-editions-aka-wheres-the-ces/10150686596142314 if you so wish to view it - comment by "Azri Tan." It's the one with the most likes so I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way!

Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
I might be looking at this wrong but wouldnt be bringing a bunch of extra CE copies to the launch event be somewhat unfair to other regions? Like where im from CE has been sold out for 3 months now. Also wouldnt that make the CE not so limited? As im sure the launch event is gonna be massive.
Reply Quote
Did either of you even READ her post?

Have you ever been to a midnight launch event? Didn't think so.

It has nothing to do with "running out" or "limited editions."

Any store that knows what it's doing for these events has prepared with adequate copies, of all editions for sale. The last thing you want at a launch event is lots of unhappy customers.

Do you any evidence that GameStop knew when they were placing their orders for D3 CE they were going to be having a game launching party with Blizzard there? I think that's the important thing. If not a store manager is going to use order history and for something popular maybe add 1/4 more inventory to this. Secondly how do you know there wasn't a capped limit on what each store could order in CE?
Reply Quote
wouldn't one just be happy to have a blizzard event to go to? Irvine is quite far from NY and I'd love to go, but I can't and have no issues with that, GL to people that "would appreciate" a signed CE
Reply Quote
82 Orc Rogue

Any store that knows what it's doing for these events has prepared with adequate copies, of all editions for sale. The last thing you want at a launch event is lots of unhappy customers.
each store gets a limited amount, ROFL.. hence the name "limited" edition.. silly kids.
Reply Quote
05/06/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Bashiok

have no fear i am sure the servers will take care of that for you !
Reply Quote

Uh yeah i READ her post.

Yeah ive been to every game and expansions midnight release since D2.

It has everything to do with LIMITED editions.

And 99% of the players know that if they didnt pre order the CE they arent getting one.

And the other 1% are complaining and dont understand why CE is all sold out 10 days before launch. Special event or not limited editions are limited.
Reply Quote
Florida sucks at pretty much everything, unfortunately.
Reply Quote
34 Undead Hunter
Wow I preordered my CE like November last year and I didn't have any issues huh weird.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

Uh yeah i READ her post.

Yeah ive been to every game and expansions midnight release since D2.

It has everything to do with LIMITED editions.

And 99% of the players know that if they didnt pre order the CE they arent getting one.

And the other 1% are complaining and dont understand why CE is all sold out 10 days before launch. Special event or not limited editions are limited.

But those release events did not have the developers, designers and other notable people there signing copies, did they?

It's like a signing event for a very popular author. The bookstore makes sure that it has plenty of stock on hand for walk-in traffic. A gaming store do the same, especially with with limited editions. Remember, no one knew until recently that the event would be held there, so there was no reason to order their CE's from that shop.
Reply Quote
I am working as a salesman in one of the biggest game stores in Norway. My plan was of course to buy the Collector Edition, so I didn't pre-order the CE from the internet stores.

I came to work yesterday (Saturday) and was ready to check how many CE we had coming in for the release day. ZERO it said. So I asked the person who make sure to get all the games to the store. He said that they wasn't able to get any D3CE for the release day. Strange... So then I went to check all the other stores that I had access to in Norway and not one single shop had them coming in.

I don't understand how this is possible. It is one of the biggest game titles coming out and the only possible way to get your hands on CE for release is by pre-order it from internet (and now that is to late). Are Blizzard holding back CE? I will now buy the digital then go buy the CE when it comes out later, and then have to talk with Blizzard to switch the keys for my main account. Makes everything more stressful and one extra Diablo III account (don't really mind that).

Sadpanda.
Edited by Kimba#2747 on 5/6/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]