Diablo® III

Follower Resource and Stat Questions

While doing my Diablo Daily episode on the Follower System (episode 6) I came up with two questions regarding Followers' and the Resource/Stat systems.

1) According to the Follower Skill pages, their skills do not require any resources, they simply have cooldowns. Is there some sort of internal resource system used for these Followers or do they really only work based on cooldowns? I'm asking this because I am curious if equipping Followers with items that have the +resource attribute will have benefit whatsoever.

2) The stats system was revamped not too long ago, separating important attributes and character damage into each of the four potential stats. According to that blog post (and a later correction for Int), they work as follows:
  • Strength: Increases all Barbarian damage and armor for all classes.
  • Dexterity: Increases all Demon Hunter and Monk damage and Dodge for all classes.
  • Intelligence: Increases all Wizard and Witch Doctor damage and physical/elemental resistance.
  • Vitality: Increases life by 10 hit points.

Followers aren't listed within these stats whatsoever, do they have any potential gains based on stats other than the non-class specific ones? For example, will a Templar gain extra damage for points into Strength? If not, why not? These characters are essentially supposed to act as another player that we are able to interact with, they most certainly should gain damage boosts based on item stats (assuming this doesn't break game balance). It'd make itemizing our Followers' much more meaningful and give us real decisions to make instead of the usual Strength & Vitality attributes.

If I may suggest something along the lines of the following:
  • Strength: Increased damage for Templar.
  • Dexterity: Increased damage for Scoundrel.
  • Intelligence: Increased damage for Enchantress.

Reply Quote
Followers aren't listed within these stats whatsoever, do they have any potential gains based on stats other than the non-class specific ones? For example, will a Templar gain extra damage for points into Strength? If not, why not? These characters are essentially supposed to act as another player that we are able to interact with, they most certainly should gain damage boosts based on item stats (assuming this doesn't break game balance). It'd make itemizing our Followers' much more meaningful and give us real decisions to make instead of the usual Strength & Vitality attributes.

Strength: Increased damage for Templar.
Dexterity: Increased damage for Scoundrel.
Intelligence: Increased damage for Enchantress.

I believe the Templar gained damage from Strength, at least in the last Beta build, but wish I had screencapped now that my memory is going fuzzy.

Found an 'of the lion' ring with +7 str on it and gave it to my Templar and seem to remember his dps going up.

Strength for Templar, Dex for Scoundrel, and Int for Enchantress makes perfect sense though, and I hope that's what we see in live.

Personally enjoyed upgrading my Templar's gear in the beta, and know I want to deck out all 3 followers in the full version.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Sei
I believe the Templar gained damage from Strength, at least in the last Beta build, but wish I had screencapped now that my memory is going fuzzy.

Interesting, and yeah, this was something I wish I had looked into more prior to Beta going down... It just didn't hit me until I actually did the episode covering the Followers' system, haha.
Reply Quote
Follower spells have cooldowns because they don't cost resources, that's the balance.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
HI SIXEN!

HI!

05/04/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Sixen
1) According to the Follower Skill pages, their skills do not require any resources, they simply have cooldowns. Is there some sort of internal resource system used for these Followers or do they really only work based on cooldowns? I'm asking this because I am curious if equipping Followers with items that have the +resource attribute will have benefit whatsoever.

Equipping followers with +resource has no effect.

That's exactly how it works! Great job.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/7/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
^

Someone is a fanboy.

:-p
Edited by Holybelle#1304 on 5/7/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
HI SIXEN!

HI!

I'd really like some clarification on this (and a reminder about follower spill-over bonus stats if you would, please). Are you saying that equipping STR gear on a Templar will increase his damage? Or that the more STR your hero has, the more STR bonus your Templar will get and thus increase his damage?

Please don't be the latter...
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Bashiok
HI SIXEN!

<3.

05/07/2012 11:36 AMPosted by soulzek
I'd really like some clarification on this (and a reminder about follower spill-over bonus stats if you would, please). Are you saying that equipping STR gear on a Templar will increase his damage? Or that the more STR your hero has, the more STR bonus your Templar will get and thus increase his damage?

Nonono, equipping STR gear on your Templar will increase the damage of your Templar (and the same goes for the other two, with the other two stats).
Reply Quote
HI SIXEN!

HI!

Please don't be the latter...

Providing the templar with +Strength equipment will provide the templar with more damage, presumably in the same manner as the barbarian.

I think it was for every 1str you get 1% more dmg from strength.
This stacks so if you get 25 str you get 25% more dmg from strength, etc.
Reply Quote
Is it correct for me to assume that +VIT gear will increase the followers' hp by 10 per +VIT?
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Geemsean
Is it correct for me to assume that +VIT gear will increase the followers' hp by 10 per +VIT?

I would assume so, yes. That isn't a per-class stat, that is just +10hp no matter what. Just like the other 3 stats will also affect followers with the other effects, as follows:
  • Strength: Increases armor for all classes.
  • Dexterity: Increases Dodge for all classes.
  • Intelligence: Increases physical/elemental resistance.

Reply Quote
- Diablo Fans
Thanks for pointing this out btw >_>

To add to this:

-edit out, I dont know how I didnt read it already posted above-

However, This wasnt posted yet: vit items are multiplied by 2.5 on them as well (this was as of 2 or 3 patches, it was not removed during beta at least)
Edited by molster#1257 on 5/7/2012 9:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Bashiok

Kinda missleading. My templar got bonus for life steal on hes weapon, and dexterity gives him a nice dodge bonus, and int gives him magic resistance. Ahh also he gets the bonus dmg from an amulet.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:03 AMPosted by paff
Kinda missleading. My templar got bonus for life steal on hes weapon, and dexterity gives him a nice dodge bonus, and int gives him magic resistance. Ahh also he gets the bonus dmg from an amulet.

Resources are Rage/Mana/AP/Spirit/Hatred/Discipline.

They have none of these, nor any other resource outside of HP. They do have defensive and offensive stats, however, making these other modifiers work. The information is correct, your definition of the term resource is not in this instance which is what is causing the confusion. Hope it clears that up. :)
Reply Quote
I do see that adding str/vit will increase the templars dmg/life. . but it's ridiculously low. Im lvl 42 and have equipped my templar with some pretty decent items and his base dmg is 34. Which is even lower than the base damage if the equipped weapon he has... I don't know if this is a glitch or intended. Are followers merely supposed to support your hero with their abilites or should they be able to kill a monster in under 26mins? (ive timed it)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Does magic find gear on followers increase your overall magic find? Trying to farm for mats and gold, so I'd like to know. Thank You in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/21/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Mercforty
I do see that adding str/vit will increase the templars dmg/life. . but it's ridiculously low. Im lvl 42 and have equipped my templar with some pretty decent items and his base dmg is 34. Which is even lower than the base damage if the equipped weapon he has... I don't know if this is a glitch or intended. Are followers merely supposed to support your hero with their abilites or should they be able to kill a monster in under 26mins? (ive timed it)

That sounds like a horrible number, I'm lvl 36 and my not so well geared templar has more dps than yours. You may want to check the gear you gave him. and btw, the Scoundrel does a lot more dmg than the Templar (who is more of a tank). No idea about the Enchantress dps, as I don't have any decent gear for her.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Mage
all followers have a flag -% damage penalty. I read somewhere it was 85%. They also have less spots for armor, and cannot stack stats as highly as your hero. Therefore they never do very good dps. It's, in my opinion, better to stack vitality and on hit effects on a follower, so they disrupt as much as possible and don't die as easily.

Magic and Gold find on your follower is added to your own, but at a great penalty, I've read -80%.
Edited by Mathalor#1707 on 5/22/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Should we even care about follower damage increase? Unless you have some unwieldly weapon (in which case why aren't YOU the hero using it?) then the damage is poor at best. As far as I can gather, at least up through Hell Difficulty, their damage is worthless even with good equipment, so why not just stack Vit so they can live long enough to either absorb hits or cast their crowd control?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]