Diablo® III

Summary of diablo1 and 2 stories

I never played diablo 1. Though I spent tons of hours in d2, I don't really remember the story at all. I started replaying it, but every time i hear part of the story I'm just confused..

Is there a nice summary of the story up until d3?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Heaven and Hell have fought war for ages due to their conflicting nature, Heaven/angels preferring order and Hell/demons preferring chaos. This does not make heaven "good" and hell "bad" as is the perception in modern society, they are both simply different. There are some angels, for example, that wish to completely exterminate mankind.

Some angels and demons tire of the endless war, and lead by Inarius (angels) and Lilith (demons) hide together on the world of sanctuary which is created and hidden from Heaven and Hell by the power of the worldstone. The angels and demons hidden on this land breed to create the Nephalim, humans with incredible magical powers. Lilith wants these humans to be used as tools of war to overturn both heaven AND hell ending the war. Inarius would rather destroy them as he views them as a threat. In the end Lilith is banished, and rather than eliminating the Nephalim, Inarius uses the power of the worldstone to subdue their powers, but lets them live.

Heaven and Hell eventually detect and gain entrance to sanctuary. The main goal of both in the current story arc is to gain control of the Nephalim and unleash their powers on the opposing faction. It is important to remember that Heaven isn't inherently "good" and Hell isn't inherently "evil" as you may be tempted to think. If EITHER side were to "win" it would be catastrophe for the people of sanctuary.

That's more or less the back story, not very detailed but gives you an idea. Does not include the events of either diablo 1 or 2. Which is basically -> Diablo, Mephisto, Baal (3 "Prime evils", leaders of Hell) = Banished to sanctuary in a mutiny of the lesser evils -> 3 Prime evils subdued/trapped in soul stones by the Horadrim, an elite group of mages amongst the nephalim -> Diablo's soulstone possesses a bunch of people, achieves freedom -> Diablo frees his brothers, Mephisto and Baal -> Mephisto and Diablo's souls trapped in soulstones once more and soulstones destroyed on hellforge -> Baal corrupts world stone, is defeated and worldstone destroyed. It is unclear whether his soulstone is destroyed but it is common assumption that it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ghu8RzsWvs&list=PL5C2F514ECED855CA&index=196&feature=plpp_video

Is a solid all encompassing guide of Diablo lore, including back story and more detailed events of Diablo 1 and 2.
Edited by Bcons#1648 on 5/5/2012 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Read the Book of Cain. The revised lore is all there just for Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Heaven and Hell have fought war for ages due to their conflicting nature, Heaven/angels preferring order and Hell/demons preferring chaos. This does not make heaven "good" and hell "bad" as is the perception in modern society, they are both simply different. There are some angels, for example, that wish to completely exterminate mankind.

Some angels and demons tire of the endless war, and lead by Inarius (angels) and Lilith (demons) hide together on the world of sanctuary which is created and hidden from Heaven and Hell by the power of the worldstone. The angels and demons hidden on this land breed to create the Nephalim, humans with incredible magical powers. Lilith wants these humans to be used as tools of war to overturn both heaven AND hell ending the war. Inarius would rather destroy them as he views them as a threat. In the end Lilith is banished, and rather than eliminating the Nephalim, Inarius uses the power of the worldstone to subdue their powers, but lets them live.

Heaven and Hell eventually detect and gain entrance to sanctuary. The main goal of both in the current story arc is to gain control of the Nephalim and unleash their powers on the opposing faction. It is important to remember that Heaven isn't inherently "good" and Hell isn't inherently "evil" as you may be tempted to think. If EITHER side were to "win" it would be catastrophe for the people of sanctuary.

That's more or less the back story, not very detailed but gives you an idea. Does not include the events of either diablo 1 or 2. Which is basically -> Diablo, Mephisto, Baal (3 "Prime evils", leaders of Hell) = Banished to sanctuary in a mutiny of the lesser evils -> 3 Prime evils subdued/trapped in soul stones by the Horadrim, an elite group of mages amongst the nephalim -> Diablo's soulstone possesses a bunch of people, achieves freedom -> Diablo frees his brothers, Mephisto and Baal -> Mephisto and Diablo's souls trapped in soulstones once more and soulstones destroyed on hellforge -> Baal corrupts world stone, is defeated and worldstone destroyed. It is unclear whether his soulstone is destroyed but it is common assumption that it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ghu8RzsWvs&list=PL5C2F514ECED855CA&index=196&feature=plpp_video

Is a solid all encompassing guide of Diablo lore, including back story and more detailed events of Diablo 1 and 2.

Awesome thank you very much! :)

05/05/2012 10:45 PMPosted by recyclops
Read the Book of Cain. The revised lore is all there just for Diablo 3.

Hm.. I thought the Book of Cain was the CE art book lol. Ah well. I'd rather watch videos or read a short summary instead of an actual novel -- I'm not a big fan of books hehe
Reply Quote

[quote]Read the Book of Cain. The revised lore is all there just for Diablo 3.

Hm.. I thought the Book of Cain was the CE art book lol. Ah well. I'd rather watch videos or read a short summary instead of an actual novel -- I'm not a big fan of books hehe

Neither am I, last book I fully read was in forth grade, I'm 22 now. The Book of Cain is the only book I read in full since then. Trust me its very very entertaining. And I despise reading.
EDIT: Its not that long either, while its 148 pages, its really probably only 75 pages of words. Lots of pictures.
Edited by xmtgx#1499 on 5/6/2012 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Holy crap those youtube videos helped so much!

@anyone else confused by the story: Watch those 3 videos. Links to parts 2 and 3 are in the first video
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]