Diablo® III

Leap or Ancient Spear

As many have mentioned Leap I think is the best choice. I found Spear to be just too buggy in beta, although with the rune to throw out 3 spears it may be useful. But leap with either +300% armor or stun rune may be better overall.
Reply Quote
Well Diablo is PVE oreiented PVP is just for fun and not something that would ever be competitive in the universe of diablo so LEAP. Also more chance of survivability in the later stages of the game.

You obviously never played the second game online.
Reply Quote
After reading up on inferno, I believe I'm going to be using leap primarily. I'll switch to ancient spear for funzies every now and again, but leap I believe offers a survivability tactic that will be all but essential during competitive play.
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Heimwarts
Well Diablo is PVE oreiented PVP is just for fun and not something that would ever be competitive in the universe of diablo so LEAP. Also more chance of survivability in the later stages of the game.

Actually, he's partially right. D2's hostility mechanism pretty much only let people kill other people. Simply being allowed to attack one another doesn't really qualify as PVP. Actual, fair dueling was never supported. Skills were never balanced because of PVP. PVE was the main thing in mind, and still is. Special areas were never designed for PVP. "PVP," if you could even call it that, was horribly imbalanced. However, D3's PVP arena thing (and the removal of stupid runewords like Enigma) might make dueling a little less messy. We'll have to see.
Edited by Auragami on 5/9/2012 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Razakel
I'd go with Leap at first, but then consider Ancient Spear in harder difficulties.

This guy gets it. Mark my words, Ancient Spear will be a key skill in Hell/Inferno.
Reply Quote

Actually, he's partially right. D2's hostility mechanism pretty much only let people kill other people. Simply being allowed to attack one another doesn't really qualify as PVP. Actual, fair dueling was never supported. Skills were never balanced because of PVP. PVE was the main thing in mind, and still is. Special areas were never designed for PVP. "PVP," if you could even call it that, was horribly imbalanced. However, D3's PVP arena thing (and the removal of stupid runewords like Enigma) might make dueling a little less messy. We'll have to see.

He's not really partially right. There is a difference between griefing and PvP combat.

It wasn't balanced, but that doesn't mean it wasn't competitive. Blizzard never actively supported competitive PvP combat, but that also doesn't mean it wasn't done by many who played Diablo II. I'm sorry you missed an amazing part of the game, because it really was quite entertaining.

I will agree, however, that taking things back to basics will probably be a good thing. Removal of cross-class skills on items (such as Enigma, Doom, etc.) will make people master their classes a bit more before they can be successful in a PvP environment. It also makes each class unique, so that classes bring something different to the table as far as team PvP.
Edited by Heimwarts#1748 on 5/9/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
05/09/2012 11:50 AMPosted by haytred
After reading up on inferno, I believe I'm going to be using leap primarily. I'll switch to ancient spear for funzies every now and again, but leap I believe offers a survivability tactic that will be all but essential during competitive play.

Leap PVM, Spear PVP.
Reply Quote
What would the Hulk do?

Ancient Spear.
Reply Quote
On a serious note. There are some mobs pve that you might hate chasing down as they might lead you into more mobs you aren't ready for etc.

So as long as your not worried about leaping away and your defenses are sound. Spear could be very good.
Reply Quote
I see your point steapa, but i think most people who take leap will either take the stun rune or the 300% armor rune. So I do not see it really mattering.
Reply Quote
Just going from a short play time during open beta, but doesn't leap have a much longer range than ancient spear? Spear seemed a little weak to me because I basically had to run over to them just to use it. But could be wrong, didn't play barb all that much.
Reply Quote
You're nuts if you don't think that d3 pvp is going to get serious.
Reply Quote
I'm looking to take both right now. Leap is the only skill that actually gets the Barbarian out of combat (also slows enemies around launch point with rune) when surrounded without taking damage, and Ancient Spear is great for ranged enemies you can't get to, especially in Inferno where leaping to them just means getting surrounded/killed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]