Diablo® III

Whirlwind charger build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahSRik!dgX!YYbbab

Actives
Bash with Instigation (+6 fury): Used for extra fury generation and single target damage
Whirlwind with Wind Shear (+1 fury per monster hit): Bread and butter attack with additional fury gen
Furious Charge with Stamina (+8 fury per monster hit): Excellent fury generator, used for starting fights and gaining additional fury in battle.
Ignore Pain with IIB (20% damage dealt to life): Defensive skill for dangerous groups and extra life regen
Battle Rage with Maurauder's Rage (30% dam): Good shout that gives nice extra damage and more crit
War Cry with Invigorate (Max life and regen): Nice defensive shout with armor and life bonuses and also gives 30 fury

Passives
Bloodthrist: Good passive life steal
Brawler: Nice for extra damage stack with battle rage, you will be near 3 enemies most of the time
Inspiring Presence: Very important passive for the shouts, increases duration and decent life regen at all times because you will have shouts up all the time

So basically the build revolves around keeping shouts up, charging into groups and whirlwinding them with minimal downtime from all the fury you gain (war cry and charge) and in case you do have downtime on your whirlwind you can just bash for quick fury. Ignore pain is nice because you will be getting hit a lot as you are moving through all the mobs constantly and sometimes you need a break, but on the upside you have a lot of life steal and passive life regen.

This is a pretty solid whirlwinding build I constructed from a lot of messing around with the skill calculator. I wanted to have all the skills set up so you don't have to stop moving. One thing I wonder is to use 2h or 1h/shield and maybe to change some runes and passives around, but for the weapon choice I think I will just use whatever is the best item I have.

I got a lot of tips from other whirlwind builds I found on the forums and I think this is the most effective whirlwind build for movement and survivability, it should feel very fluid. Please add any points you think are best for the build and thanks for reading.
Edited by Cashews#1757 on 5/7/2012 2:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That's just the build I was thinking, a constant barrage of charge and WW

Though I was thinking of changing the charge rune to merciless assault that reduces cooldown by 2 seconds for every hit. So if you charge into a large group you are bound to hit say 5 enemies at which point the charge cooldown is reset and you can do another one right away. With 2-3 charges through a large group of monsters you have weakened it considerably and also gained 45 fury to use up on 3+ WWs

This I guess puts more emphasis on charge as the main damage doer (with 195%) and WW as the cleaner upper once there are not enough enemies in the group left to completely reset the charge cooldown
Reply Quote
45 Undead Rogue
My build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WhXSiP!gdW!cccZaZ

I will start using Furious charge a lot (as long i can use it), then leap, 5 attacks of frenzy and finally whirlwind to finish enemies.

Barbarian is a killing machine.
Reply Quote
this is almost the exact same build i will use

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahSRki!dgX!Ycbbba

the only change i would do is to the WW rune, since it's our main nuke i think it well perform better with the increased dmg rune.

it will be a very solid build, but i think 1hand/shield will be required for Inferno =/
Reply Quote
I was thinking of changing the charge rune to merciless assault also because if you think about it, it would be so much fun to just charge around like a monk. I'll keep it in mind and change things around when the game releases.

I think changing whirlwind rune to the damage one will be smart also if the extra fury isn't needed but we'll have to see in game

and yes, the barbarian is a beast
Reply Quote
damn i wanted to play with the WotB ability so bad...but i guess Battle Rage will have to do...oh well =/

@Cashews

that Charge rune change could actually work since you will be generating Rage as well, but i think you'd want to spent more time using WW than Charging
Reply Quote
I really like the direction you're going here. One question: do any of you think the knock back effect of Charge will be a hindrance in the sense that it will spread your enemies out?

Up until inferno, I image that most likely you'll want to have your enemies clumped up a bit to get the most benefit from each whirlwind?

It just seems that there isn't the best synergy between the two skills. I could be wrong completely, but that's my concern. Otherwise, this build looks awesome and I may do something like that for my Barb :)

Cheers,

Ramone
Reply Quote
I really like the direction you're going here. One question: do any of you think the knock back effect of Charge will be a hindrance in the sense that it will spread your enemies out?

Up until inferno, I image that most likely you'll want to have your enemies clumped up a bit to get the most benefit from each whirlwind?

It just seems that there isn't the best synergy between the two skills. I could be wrong completely, but that's my concern. Otherwise, this build looks awesome and I may do something like that for my Barb :)

Cheers,

Ramone

if you want to remove Charge, the best option i see is getting Ground Stomp:Wrenching Smash, that way you pull all enemies in a 24yd range to you and stun them for 4s, that's 4s free WW without taking any dmg. i think WW/Ground Stomp have great synergy!

thoughts?
Reply Quote

Cheers,

Ramone

if you want to remove Charge, the best option i see is getting Ground Stomp:Wrenching Smash, that way you pull all enemies in a 24yd range to you and stun them for 4s, that's 4s free WW without taking any dmg. i think WW/Ground Stomp have great synergy!

thoughts?

I like where your head is at. I think that will be included in my first build. Depending on how hard it is to survive, I'll probably swap ignore pain with revenge as well and get the Vengeace is mine Rune for more fury generation.

There are so many viable builds!!! It's great looking at someone like the OP's build and thinking, "that's pretty cool, maybe I'll try that." Then tinkering with it for 5-10 minutes and coming up with like 10 other variations that all look just as enticing!

Cheers,

Ramone
Reply Quote
Test!
Reply Quote
This is my never ending WW build. I use a mighty weapon with Amethyst on all equipment. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahYXRT!Ydg!aYZcZb

You just need at least 4 enemies to cast WW for free.
Edited by Caz#6275 on 5/19/2012 5:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]