Diablo® III

Why Barbarian?

To those that pick barb over the other classes, why?

I seen a thread on the wizard forum asking us whom choose wizard, "why?" and it inspired me to create similar threads for the other classes. The idea is that, through the community posts, it will sum up some of the major (and minor) draws to each class. I, for one, would find this especially interesting since I have only briefly looked over the non-wizard classes but intend to play them all.

I am not just looking for answers based upon build/class strengths. Answers like, 'its a hack and slash game so ofc I'm going to play the barbarian.. to you know.. hack and slash things' are also perfectly fine. Its all a part of understanding the general appeal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
To say it bluntly for me, they are literally a walking tank and ball of destruction.

When I first saw Diablo 3, right from the bat I wanted to go Barb. Not sure why, just wanted to. And when I tried them out in the beta it strengthened my choice of rolling barb. Not really how else to put it.
Reply Quote
To say it bluntly for me, they are literally a walking tank and ball of destruction.

When I first saw Diablo 3, right from the bat I wanted to go Barb. Not sure why, just wanted to. And when I tried them out in the beta it strengthened my choice of rolling barb. Not really how else to put it.

This is sort of the type of answer I expected from the barb most of any class. IDK why but it seems the class seems to appeal to a lot of people on some basic primal level.
Reply Quote
to me they are just the most fun. least in the beta. and are also the only class that have the animations, sound effects and monster rag doll physics multiplier that gives a true sense of raw power when swinging those big melee weapons. to me the other classes come across as kind of weak in comparison not in terms of damage output but in terms of how strong they feel when attacking.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bWXSVc!ZdT!bcaZca

is what I'm going for. Crazy mobile barb :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I enjoy playing an "In your face" type character who can dish out a hit as well as take one, barbarian seems to fit that mold nicely.
Reply Quote
Hulk Smash that's why
Reply Quote
To me, the barb seems most likely to be able to handle inferno. Also, the noise it makes when you hit dudes is very satisfying.
Reply Quote
I'm rolling Barbarian first for a few reasons. First of all, his natural MF runes on Hammer of the Ancients and Threatening Shout will be advantageous on Normal mode (he will be my only normal character) considering the RMAH. Besides that, once PVP arrives he will be OH so much fun to face roll people with...I mean, c'mon...a Scorpion 'get over here' move? A plethora stuns? Leaps, stomps, charges, oh my.

Other than that, I wanted to take a frontline 'meatshield' so my roomate's Wizard won't get owned in later difficulties.
Reply Quote
im going with barb because:
*it's my first melee character, i just wanted to try it because i always play as casters
*i like the armor sets a lot
*it has a super sayan mode
*WW with lava?? can't resist that
*also, the ''I WILL NOT BE DENIED'' from the trailer is awesome :)
Reply Quote
I'm picking Barb because he seems like the most straightforward class to play.

Run in.
Build Fury.
Use Fury to destroy Demons.

Another reason is because Barbarians were in D2 so I would like my 1st play thru to be thru the Barb Storyline/Perspective. I was a Warrior in Diablo 1, a Barb in Diablo 2 and now I'll be a Barb once again in Diablo 3!! :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
It's a life-long choice of style for me. I remember being 4 years old and finding my dad's old college AD&D books. I'd spend hours looking at all the pictures in them, especially the weapons.

Ever since then, in any form of fantasy genre, I've been more inclined to empathize with brutish, melee-driven characters. To me, it seemed so easy for a caster or an archer to annihilate their foes from afar, yet I was always in awe of the character who picked up a sword and went toe-to-toe with whatever insurmountable force was in front of them.

The Barbarian is the essence of this. He gives what he gets; demons want to rip him apart with claws and teeth, he'll rip a tree out of the ground and beat them to death with it. A horde of monsters destroy an entire village, he'll level their entire battalion. He fights fire with fire, and it's not that he's scared of getting burned... his skin is just dead to the pain.

F@$kin metal, man.
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight
To see my enemies driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Gorst
I enjoy playing an "In your face" type character who can dish out a hit as well as take one, barbarian seems to fit that mold nicely.

05/07/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Anthysis
he'll rip a tree out of the ground and beat them to death with it.

Did you see the movie "The Avengers" Did you see the Hulk??? It's kinda like that. Hulk.... Smash... '(Grin)'
Reply Quote
I choose the Barbarian because it was my favorite class in Diablo 2, and the Diablo 3 version just looks 100x better.

- Extremely entertaining skillsets.
- Unique warrior related abilities.
- Lots and lots of builds.
- Overall awesome looking class.
Reply Quote
To me, it seemed so easy for a caster or an archer to annihilate their foes from afar, yet I was always in awe of the character who picked up a sword and went toe-to-toe with whatever insurmountable force was in front of them.

The Barbarian is the essence of this. He gives what he gets; demons want to rip him apart with claws and teeth, he'll rip a tree out of the ground and beat them to death with it. A horde of monsters destroy an entire village, he'll level their entire battalion. He fights fire with fire, and it's not that he's scared of getting burned... his skin is just dead to the pain.

F@$kin metal, man.

This, I always pick the "warrior" type as my main character. Did it in D1, D2, and will do it again on D3.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I've always played a melee toon because I think all ranged classes are !@#$%^s. It takes zero skill to hit and run, while melee have to get to their target and overcome obstacles. Barb for life.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Trillvill
I've always played a melee toon because I think all ranged classes are !@#$%^s. It takes zero skill to hit and run, while melee have to get to their target and overcome obstacles. Barb for life.
You will hit and run in Inferno, you can count on it. Maybe not as much as other classes, I'll give you that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]