Diablo® III

BattleTag Update and Diablo III Reminder

(Locked)

I'm extremely disappointed to hear our BattleTags will be shown. I feel like this completely defeats the purpose of even naming your characters because they will rarely be seen.

I'm hating this new Battle.Net stuff more and more everyday.

Dont give up hope yet. We have been told two different things, within a very short timeframe. One of them is wrong or uninformed. Im sure we will find out soon enough. Hopefully it is Lylirra that is wrong.
Edited by Ushela#1783 on 5/7/2012 9:49 PM PDT
I agree, this is terrible.

I would like individual character identity, or the ability to at least choose.
I'm extremely disappointed to hear our BattleTags will be shown. I feel like this completely defeats the purpose of even naming your characters because they will rarely be seen.

There is no character customization (appearance, story, etc.) and you'll be able to sell characters on the AH. They never intended for your characters to be meaningful or important to you, just a tool with which to play the game.

It's a Monk, Wizard, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter or Barbarian, same for everyone. It's not your Monk, Wizard, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter or Barbarian.

I cannot believe that. If that were true, then there would be no point wasting memory in the character data even having you write in a name at all.

No, Bashiok said that individual character identity is important, and don't believe they'll drop the ball on this one.

Lylirra never said that character names would not be shown. She just wasn't very clear on WHEN they would be in the game itself. The response she made was about why the character names on a friends list cannot show up without the battletag. She never said the character's name wouldn't be in the game, or that other players would NEVER see it. So we shouldn't put words in her mouth.

I am waiting for clarification. From Bashiok's earlier post, I understood that the character names would show in the game UI, and the battletags in your friends list, just as it is done in WoW. The real names of my Real ID friends only show up in my friends list. When I am playing with them in game, I do not see their real name instead of their character name. I can't believe it would be any different in Diablo 3.
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Unless you bought the Annual Pass and wanted to play in the MoP beta. You were forced to use your free name change in order to get access.

This is not true.

(Yes, it was one way to solve the problem, but any account update e.g. changing your password also worked.)
05/07/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Xados
I know it has already been requested by many people- but it would certainly make me happy if we got another opporunity to change our battletag for free before release day!

You got one chance already to change it why do you guys need some many chances? I haven't used my change and never plan to. Why you may ask? When I plan on creating something that has the posibility of being permanent I put plenty of thought into it.

If you look around on every game out there throughout the entire gaming world the only person I have ever found to use the name "Kaeloone" has been me. :)
05/07/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Gay!@#$%^
I wanna change mine again. I named it by accident.

Really?....
Really really? Accident huh? Explain how you accidently typed up that name?
Not really? While you'll be able to see your own character name (and while there will be situations when other players can see your character's name, too), your BattleTag nickname will be your primary form of identification. It's what players will see both in Public Games and most prominently in the friends list.

Hope that answers your questions!

Define "there will be situations" please. I thought the battletag was like the account name in D2 and the name of the char is shown in games and when you wisp someone you see the name of the char and the battletag charname(battletag). With that description seems at first sight that the name of the character it's almost irrelevant and that's bad.
Edited by Larsen#1584 on 5/7/2012 11:20 PM PDT
Not really? While you'll be able to see your own character name (and while there will be situations when other players can see your character's name, too), your BattleTag nickname will be your primary form of identification. It's what players will see both in Public Games and most prominently in the friends list.

Hope that answers your questions!

Define "there will be situations" please. I thought the battletag was like the account name in D2 and the name of the char is shown in games and when you wisp someone you see the name of the char and the battletag charname(battletag). With that description seems at first sight that the name of the character it's almost irrelevant and that's bad.

"situation" means when you do an emote and your character name displays in the chat box....

There is no character customization (appearance, story, etc.) and you'll be able to sell characters on the AH. They never intended for your characters to be meaningful or important to you, just a tool with which to play the game.

It's a Monk, Wizard, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter or Barbarian, same for everyone. It's not your Monk, Wizard, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter or Barbarian.

That's nonsense considering Bash said himself that character identity is important. They've already explained why there is no real customization like appearances and their reasons for leaving it out makes sense to me. If names weren't important, they would have been left out entirely.
This has been also a problem with me... during the open beta i was told to create a battle tag even though I already have one.. and now I can no longer change it..
Lylirra, can we get some clarification on where character names show up vs. Battletag?

I think others have said it best, and it'd be nice to know "Shyster#1250" doesn't show up everywhere in game. It just looks kind of ridiculous.
[]
Edited by Aadoxl#1775 on 5/10/2012 2:09 PM PDT
So Bashiok basically lied then?

People weren't asking for our names to be shown "in some situations". They wanted it to be the name that was shown above our character and under the party icons.

I'm really disappointed with this.
I hope we get to change it again in the future at some point
Community Manager
05/08/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Shyster
Lylirra, can we get some clarification on where character names show up vs. Battletag?

Sure thing! When Diablo III launches, your character name will be visible to you in a variety of locations including the character selection screen and game menu. For other players, your character's name will only appear within your player profile, as hover text in the friends list, and when your character participates in quest dialog. In every other context, your BattleTag will be shown.

Also, just to clarify, your BattleTag identifier (the numbers appended to the end of your BattleTag nickname) will be visible in the "Add Friend" dialog and on a player's profile page. But that's it. When you're just playing normally in a group, only your BattleTag nickname should display.

05/08/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Mick
So Bashiok basically lied then?

No, but we did miscommunicate, and that's our bad.

To help clear up that confusion, the current design is something we feel pretty confident in. After carefully reviewing all of your feedback and analyzing the pros and cons of the system, we found that BattleTags are a better way (overall) to personally identify individuals from game to game, even if they change characters.

It helps players build up street cred, or even the opposite type of experiences where you'd want to avoid another player entirely -- something that would only be possible with an account-wide nickname. As a result, we felt that confusing BattleTags with character names in Diablo III was detrimental to those types of benefits.

We know that some of you may disagree with that approach, and that's totally fine. We just encourage you to give BattleTags a chance when Diablo III releases so you can see how the system works in the actual game environment. You might find that you actually like it! Or, you might not, and we'd love to hear your feedback either way. :)
Edited by Lylirra on 5/8/2012 10:01 PM PDT
??

It helps players build up street cred, or even the opposite type of experiences where you'd want to avoid another player entirely -- something that would only be possible with an account-wide nickname. As a result, we felt that confusing BattleTags with character names in Diablo III was detrimental to those types of benefits.

this is surely false then, as there could be quite a few more players using MY name. and therefor i will not have this "street cred".

for example... consider the amount of players choosing your name, or bashiok's name.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]