Diablo® III

BattleTag Update and Diablo III Reminder

(Locked)

85 Gnome Priest
Terrible decision.

I guess instead of coming up with a creative name for each of my characters, I'll instead randomly smash my keyboard with my fist to generate a name.

Character names will still be displayed in a number of locations, and more to come, including the website. I'd highly recommend you not do that.

How about this show our character names we give them instead of battle tag and have the battle tag show up when put your mouse over the characters name and you can have it show up in your friends list, all we want is to see our characters name in the game and in the menus!
this really bears more and more and more repeating: character names are significant and important, and should be the central name visible in the in-game experience.

RamenNoodler is who will chat with friends, log-in to battlenet, etc... but Sally the male barbarian will be the one doing the smashing. Battletags are great, but they shouldn't be the prominent name shown in-game.
Huh. Oh well, I was planning on naming every last one of my characters Ignus anyway.
I hate to say it, but I feel like the most likely, ugly truth here is that some big wig douchebag from Activision (Bobby Kotick perhaps?) is pushing this crap down on them, and they have to pretend that it's a good idea.

As a result, which so often happens when corporate douches get on a power trip, we, the customers, suffer.
I hate to say it, but I feel like the most likely, ugly truth here is that some big wig douchebag from Activision (Bobby Kotick perhaps?) is pushing this crap down on them, and they have to pretend that it's a good idea.

As a result, which so often happens when corporate douches get on a power trip, we, the customers, suffer.

Yep, I'm pretty sure this is the case as well. Especially given the miscommunication around the subject a few months back.
I gotta say i am pretty disappointed with the current system as it stands. Im all for giving it a fair shot, but if the game ships with the system that was used in beta I and a lot of your fan base will be disappointed.

I really see no improvement in the battle.net system as it stands. Old battle.net was far superior in both cross game communication and chat interface in general. I'll never understand Facebook support nor do I want it. If I wanted to play a video game with someone I would ask for their account name; not blatantly advertise to my whole Facebook friends list that i am playing game X of which maybe only 5% or less would actually play. Cool now my grandma and aunt know that i am playing a computer game. Awesome.

I agree, unfortunately. This blatantly goes against Jay Wilson's "perfect execution over perfect innovation". The team has made (from what we can tell so far) an otherwise great game, I simply cannot believe they're so tone-deaf to come up with this idea and follow through with it without some external pressure.
How about a blue post on this???

It seems the community is 100% against this battletag system as it stands and at the very least the Blue's should address this as they have a very solvable but VERY real problem that upsets a great number of people.

FIX THIS BLIZZARD. THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO.
They cant honestly think this is a good idea can they? There's no good that can come of it..

Wow, Americans sure do go ape !@#$ when their sense of individuality on a video game is lost.

Funny.

Yes, because no one on EU forums would complain about this... /facepalm
Also if you used your brain for more then half a second you would know that its not about individuality, our battle tags do that fine, its the thought of using a battletag over our character name to display to others that is utterly stupid.

They can sugar coat it all they want but our character names are too hidden, and you have to actually look for them to see them when they should be right out in the open. No one is going to look up a name that you thoughtfuly cooked up to put on your character when they just can identify you by a battletag. Which ruins the whole point of a character name.

Battletag should be something like realID. They should just be used for the friends llist for people you want to play with but not share your real name with.
Edited by IsendIMs#1577 on 5/11/2012 11:29 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight

To reiterate what Lylirra said, this is the initial implementation and we're very open to feedback once the game launches and everyone has had more time to mess around with things. Just hold up, give it a chance, and then let us know how it's working out for you after release.

I'm sure the community will let you know. probably add 300 more pages to this thread in the next few weeks.
05/11/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Anubis

Yeah, there's no way that this is a gameplay-first decision. But they could make money just the same off of character name changes vs. battletag name changes, so I don't get it. But yeah- there doesn't seem to be any support for this, and there's been criticism of it throughout the beta.

To reiterate what Lylirra said, this is the initial implementation and we're very open to feedback once the game launches and everyone has had more time to mess around with things. Just hold up, give it a chance, and then let us know how it's working out for you after release.

I'm sure the community will let you know. probably add 300 more pages to this thread in the next few weeks.

Probably more than 300 pages.. this thread will hit its limit, and several others will spawn. ( even before it hits the limit other threads on the subject will spawn.. )

I really don't understand the thought process behind this one especially since the community is soo much against the way it was put in during the beta. Now I only got to see Open Beta, but from what I understand this was a change they put in around patch 11? or so? And people where already against the change.

As others have said, the only explanation is that some one higher up is being a moron, and is demanding it to be in the game no matter what. ( Sorry for using such a term for this, but wanted to put it a little bluntly, as I think this deserves it. )
This is an incredibly stupid and counter-intuitive design choice.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? Seeing your and other's character names consistently while in-game is a core part of immersion, identity, and the fun of escapism we get in RPGs.

There will be A LOT of rage over this after the game is out. LOL @ "give it a chance" - beta testers hated it.
This is a terrible decision. Please add my name (not my battletag) to the list of people who think displaying the battletag rather than the character name in-game is a horrid decision.
Agreed. WTF Mang?

Where/Who will ever see your character name? No more TitsMcGee on my Sorc? WHYYYY.

And whats gonna happen to SC2 "battleTags"? will they eventually be overtaken by these new OP battletags?

Also, I can not search this thread so I do not know if any of my questions have been answered in the other 30 pages.
I see that character names are shown in our armory profile.

Not good enough! We want them in game.
....... Would just name characters as barb1, barb2, etc..... :(

Or barb_sc, barb_hc instead...
Can't wait to scare the piss out of hell spawn. "Fear me, minions of hell, for I am Convoyninesixthreetwo-fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

How difficult would it even be just to display both names? Christ...
Please allow the user the ability to choose whether their BattleTag name or Hero's name is displayed in-game.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]