Diablo® III

BattleTag Update and Diablo III Reminder

(Locked)

Wow. Weak. :/
100 Gnome Mage
Very disappointed in this Blizzard. What your describing makes sense in Starcraft, but is not one size fits all. Maybe it's old role player in me, but I prefer my characters to have unique flavor in game and for the most part that is broken with "ACCOUNT#8415" or even just "ACCOUNT" being highly visible as I play. We'll see what it looks like in game I guess, but I was expecting better, like at worst in parenthesis on certain screens.
Edited by Tyburn#1955 on 5/8/2012 12:16 PM PDT
I always name my first character this anyway. After my 4th id be fishing for names. Not a big deal.
i like it because it prevents players from botting for names, and showing off their names such as "god" or "diablo" or "jesus" or which ever name may be rare and collectable. But then at the same time I like choosing a character name thats unique to the character. I suppose we can still do that, it just wont be as noticeable to others

To help clear up that confusion, the current design is something we feel pretty confident in. Even after carefully reviewing all of your feedback and analyzing the pros and cons of the system, we found that BattleTags are a better way (overall) to personally identify individuals from game to game, even if they change characters.

It helps players build up street cred, or even the opposite type of experiences where you'd want to avoid another player entirely -- something that would only be possible with an account-wide nickname. As a result, we felt that confusing BattleTags with character names in Diablo III was detrimental to those types of benefits.

Something i completely agree with!
Edited by Caladel#1386 on 5/8/2012 1:08 PM PDT
WOW @ THIS!! Worst implementation ever on Blizzards behalf...when is WoW converting over so that character names mean NOTHING? OH, never becuase its an mmo and not an ARPG?!

Imagine the outrage if they told all the WoW players their toon names will no longer appear and just their battletag.

Seriously, this BS just took away ALL the excitement I had for D3.

My characters will be named TOON1, TOON2, TOON3, TOON4, TOON5, TOON6, TOON7, TOON8, TOON9, TOON10 since there is no reason to name them otherwise.
So what about in WoW? Are you going to start displaying Battletags above everyone's character there too? Why not? The (misguided) logic for doing so is the same.

My feedback is I hate this decision. I hated it during the beta, and I don't see how I would feel differently in the full game.
So just like in the beta people have to go out of their way to know my character name. Everything looks great and can't wait to play, but this little things ... I just can't understand the reasons behind them.

In D2 with the accounts you never knew who was the user behind so the battletag will fix that and it's great. But now the character I'll create on May 15th, in all probabilities, it's going to be there and relevant 2, 3, 5 or more years in the future so character are even more important than in D2, but ...

In the beta I spend around 4 hours playing with a friend and never realized the name of his character. I ask him if he knew the name of mine and he didn't, there's something wrong there, four hours.

I don't want to look like a troll, but the battletag is MY identity in game not my character's identity.
WOW @ THIS!! Worst implementation ever on Blizzards behalf...when is WoW converting over so that character names mean NOTHING? OH, never becuase its an mmo and not an ARPG?!

Imagine the outrage if they told all the WoW players their toon names will no longer appear and just their battletag.

My characters will be named TOON1, TOON2, TOON3, TOON4, TOON5, TOON6, TOON7, TOON8, TOON9, TOON10 since there is no reason to name them otherwise.

takes away all your excitement for diablo 3 yet you're still going to make 10 characers? k..
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The issue I have with this is that my characters names will be pointless in a sense. They wont have their own identity. I could name my character slappy'tickleson because heck no one will see it anyways.
[quote]
and therefor i will not have this "street cred".

nobody loves you anyway.
Horrible decision. I highly doubt any community input was used in making it.
Community Manager
05/08/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Lylirra
No, but we did miscommunicate, and that's our bad.

Specifically mine. Sorry. :\

To reiterate what Lylirra said, this is the initial implementation and we're very open to feedback once the game launches and everyone has had more time to mess around with things. Just hold up, give it a chance, and then let us know how it's working out for you after release.
Terrible decision.

I guess instead of coming up with a creative name for each of my characters, I'll instead randomly smash my keyboard with my fist to generate a name.

EDIT: I'll give it a chance.
Edited by deadlast#1960 on 5/8/2012 4:00 PM PDT
05/08/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
No, but we did miscommunicate, and that's our bad.

Specifically mine. Sorry. :\

To reiterate what Lylirra said, this is the initial implementation and we're very open to feedback once the game launches and everyone has had more time to mess around with things. Just hold up, give it a chance, and then let us know how it's working out for you after release.

When is WoW converting over to battletags?
05/08/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Ushela

HAHAHA. If the way your character name displays in game can take away ALL your excitement for this game then maybe you should go away and find something else to get excited about. Maybe there's a game where all you do is show off your cool and original names to each other.

P.S. see you at launch
Edited by ClownBaby#1303 on 5/8/2012 12:45 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]