Diablo® III

BattleTag Update and Diablo III Reminder

(Locked)

Community Manager
Terrible decision.

I guess instead of coming up with a creative name for each of my characters, I'll instead randomly smash my keyboard with my fist to generate a name.

Character names will still be displayed in a number of locations, and more to come, including the website. I'd highly recommend you not do that.
05/08/2012 12:44 PMPosted by ClownBaby
Seriously, this BS just took away ALL the excitement I had for D3.

HAHAHA. If the way your character name displays in game can take away ALL your excitement for this game then maybe you should go away and find something else to get excited about. Maybe there's a game where all you do is show off your cool and original names to each other.

Just because you dont care about character names, doesnt mean others dont. Grow up. I am not the only one trust me as indicated already by the numerous posts above.
I dislike this. Character names should at least appear on the in-game party UI. The battletag brings it all together yes, but why can't we just have that show up on a mouseover or something like that?...

Oh btw this is coming from already looking at this feature in the Open Beta with a friend of mine. We both felt like Diablo was an incredible game and lots of fun...as far as defects were concerned, not having character names in the party UI was one of the first and only things we had any gripes about in our open beta experience.
Edited by Bluewolf#1843 on 5/8/2012 12:49 PM PDT
stop crying ushela pls
There's an easy solution, guys -- just buy one copy of the game per character! I'm sure Blizzard won't mind! /tinfoilhat
85 Draenei Priest
I have to say that I also do not like the BattleTag name being the primary displayed name. Now if it was secondary, when you inspect a characters achievements and profile, great! You can then link a character to an account/BattleTag.

Thankfully I helped my dad set up his battletag so he didn't use his real name or address (yes, he has done that in the past).
Here's my feedback.

This sucks.
05/08/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Ushela
When is WoW converting over to battletags?

seriously, if the system is great why is WoW not using it?
So all the feedback on this during beta wasn't enough? We have to wait until the game is out and then give more feedback on it? Why?
90 Night Elf Druid
You double posted Bashiok!! Too funny. Anyway I'm not totally against this but I wish I would have know this before I chose my battletag.

Any chance of establishing a yearly battletag reset? I suspect many people chose battle tags they might be regretting at the moment.

I'm not totally disappointed I guess, I may need to update to Katrisa though... she's who I'm known for the most.
Edited by Kate#1492 on 5/8/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Terrible decision.

I guess instead of coming up with a creative name for each of my characters, I'll instead randomly smash my keyboard with my fist to generate a name.

Character names will still be displayed in a number of locations, and more to come, including the website. I'd highly recommend you not do that.

Sorry, I was just being overly dramatic. I'll give it a chance and reserve judgement until I actually get to play the game.
No. No one else will have your Battletag. It's unique, however hero's names are not.

This is why the battletag works well because people will pay attention to it instead of your hero's name.

Kinda sucks if you hastily chose a BattleTag you dont like. :P
Edited by Unknown#1352 on 5/8/2012 12:54 PM PDT
This doesn't bug me. It just seems like a nice easy way to prevent people from dropping their bad reputation, which to me is more important than my individual character identification.
85 Draenei Priest
You double posted Bashiok!! Too funny. Anyway I'm not totally against this but I wish I would have know this before I chose my battletag.

Any chance of everyone getting a on time reset at some point. Or maybe a yearly battletag reset? I suspect many people chose battle tags they might be regretting at the moment.

You can change it one time for free. That has already been implemented.
I have to say, I am ridiculously excited for this game and am totally on board with nearly all the big changes that were made (skill system, runes, etc).

However this really is disappointing.

My friends and I played the beta pretty extensively and enjoyed coming up with unique identities for our characters. However, you really have to go out of your way to find your friend's character names, and it is almost impossible to do so while you are in game. I think that is a big loss. You really lose some of the immersion and fun of questing with your friends and their different characters when all you see is their global battle tag. I want to see the clever identities and references my friends use for their characters.

Battle tags are a more global username that you might use on many places around the internet, and often don't really fit with the feeling of the Diablo universe. Additionally, there is already a good amount of account identity present within the game via the banner system.

Would it be possible to have the option to display character names instead of battle tags in game? That would allow you maintain the benefits you identified, but also have the character names actually mean something for those who care about them.
to everyone whining and complaining about something they have not yet even used: shut your dirty !@#$%-mouths.
they said it's a great idea, and we should trust them. they even said that AFTER you get to play around with it, they welcome your criticism, but at the moment, you're all just dodo birds telling hawks how to fly.
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks I just caught the one free update. I would like to see a yearly reset chance though, I think folks would really like that opportunity.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]