Diablo® III

Vision Quest Builds, Need some help here.

I read a while back that WD base regen is 60 mana/second

Thats including Vision Quest mana regen.

And remeber what I said guys, if you only have 4 CD spells, you will be wasting spells just to activate Vision Quest. Go for 5 CD spell build and Dire Bats, much more viable IMO

Have you played the Beta?

Dire Bats is a very slow casting spell that only hits a narrow column of mobs as it flies across the screen. It is also a fire based spell which IMO will be the most heavily resisted element in the game since all classes do their highest damage via fire.

So now you have a build with ONE form of damage on a slow casting spell where that one form of damage is most likely going to be the most heavily resisted element from all of the mobs in the game. Good luck with that...

Compare this to the build I linked that does 3 forms of damage: physical, arcane, and poison.
Edited by nycgags#1368 on 5/7/2012 9:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 09:08 PMPosted by Minotaur
Huh? I read the base mana regen at level 60 is 60 mana/sec and that's without any passives/gear/etc.

where did you read this? I'd love to know. Thought mana regen did not scale, only mana pool dd.

mana regen does not scale.
Reply Quote
Why does this thread have so many noobs...I feel like I need to avoid the forums until a month after launch to stop running into these same circles...

Minotaur -

For the SECOND TIME - COUNT AGAIN....I can't believe I need to spell this out for you:

Plague of Toads - Toad of Hugeness - 5 second cooldown
Grasp of the Dead - 8 second cooldown
Summon Zombie Dogs - 60 second cooldown
Mass Confusion - 60 second cooldown
Edited by nycgags#1368 on 5/7/2012 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
now i've seen some of forces videos where at 13 he has over 2k mana and nothing from gear giving him any more. in fact i believe mana is over 1k at like level 5-6 i've basically either been lied to by the game testers and their reports or i'm mistakenly misread stuff in my quest to understand how the game works or your wrong about only 740 mana at 60. Granted 740 base mana naked is only going to give you another 148 mana so 888 mana or a regen of 8.8 mana per second added to the templars 2 mana per second passive aura. thats 10.8 mana per second regen. I might be wrong but since when did adding half the base mana regen end up not being worth a passive? add that to reducing cost by 15% by converting them to life totals and the fact that blizzard has stated easily being over 20k for everyone so you get the 200 life per second regen off the blood ritual passive so your reducing costs signifigantly at the same time. I mean taking this rune we are discussing vision quest we are basically looking at upping our mana regen to a point where we can spam our most expensive costing spells and never touching mana. if your nuke cost 200 thats 30 life cost per spell granted at 30 its not a good investment but at 60 when you have 30-40k health and are sporting 400 health a second regen on top of your baseline regen its really not bad.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Why does this thread have so many noobs...I feel like I need to avoid the forums until a month after launch to stop running into these same circles...

Minotaur -

For the SECOND TIME - COUNT AGAIN....I can't believe I need to spell this out for you:

Plague of Toads - Toad of Hugeness - 5 second cooldown
Grasp of the Dead - 8 second cooldown
Summon Zombie Dogs - 60 second cooldown
Mass Confusion - 60 second cooldown

and really had to be an !@#? i for myself didnt see it and i was like..u have 3 cd skills bro.

hard to see that toad of hugeness gave a 5 sec cd on a no cd skill.
Reply Quote
I changed your build a little to add more synergy and rely a little less on your uber cooldown. Provoke the pack might need to go back to next of kin if zombie handler doesn't summon 4 dogs instead of 3.

The change to your playstyle should be minimal:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fZYTVP!dUY!YbZZcZ
Edited by CdrRogdan#1818 on 5/7/2012 11:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've always wondered why no one else seems to want to take spiritual attunement. a straight 1% mana regen per second based strictly on your max mana pool seems like really good straight up mana regen to me. plus it increases your mana pool by 20% before the effect so a 5k mana pool is now 6k giving 60 mana per second on top of the 20 base for 80 mana per second with no real gear investment.

Where are you seeing 5k in mana @ 60?

Naked @ 60 you will have 740 mana.

actually every site I've been to says you start with 500 mana at level 1 and get 100 per level up to 6500 at level 60. I've spent the past several hours looking it up to double check. That means 20% is 1300 so 7800 and 1% of that is 78 mana regen'd per second from the skill if you further increase your mana pool your simultaneously increasing your regen. add in the 300% bonus regen to your 20 base that's 80 unless they worded it wrong and it increases it not BY 300% but to 300% then its still 60 add this skilll in for 78 more thats 138 add in the 2 from the templar's aura thats 140 and my build is not mana solvent unless i have a casting speed over 1per second and that can be made up for by increasing my regen via gear. even if i don't and i use say a azurewrath or wizardspike for 1.7 cast per second thats 238 mana per second so i'd need an additional 97 mana per second. However we can run for 82 seconds without moving so either me or my target is dead by that point. add in the 15% of mana being paid in health and that reduces the 238 to 202 mana so you'd last a further 47.5 seconds to 130 seconds. seriously 2 minutes of casting if you don't move and cast as fast as possible before running oom with the fastest weapons in the game.

More realistically with movement factored in you could attack between movement phases and recasting spells when they come off cooldown for long enough to make mana a complete nonissue in winning fights. The real goal would thus be to survive longer than your opponents and thus its highly viable for inferno.
Edited by will#1353 on 5/7/2012 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wonder if vision quest affects spiritual attunement, like does the 300% mana regeneration affect the 1% max mana you get per second?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#biTPRQ!cUh!YcbZab

My VQ build for group play!
Reply Quote
45 Undead Rogue
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#biTPRQ!cUh!YcbZab

My VQ build for group play!

I don´t think you need a primary skill when you have vision quest. Yourt mana regeneration will be high enought for expensive mana spells.

My VQ build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#idUPjQ!ZUY!cZZaab

Run in a group of enemies, use mass confusion, soul harvest and fetish army. Spirit walk to run away and for mana regen. I plan to play always with a group.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
RoE

Thats including Vision Quest mana regen.

And remeber what I said guys, if you only have 4 CD spells, you will be wasting spells just to activate Vision Quest. Go for 5 CD spell build and Dire Bats, much more viable IMO

Have you played the Beta?

Dire Bats is a very slow casting spell that only hits a narrow column of mobs as it flies across the screen. It is also a fire based spell which IMO will be the most heavily resisted element in the game since all classes do their highest damage via fire.

So now you have a build with ONE form of damage on a slow casting spell where that one form of damage is most likely going to be the most heavily resisted element from all of the mobs in the game. Good luck with that...

Compare this to the build I linked that does 3 forms of damage: physical, arcane, and poison.

Actually I don't think fire will be the most heavily resisted element. For the very reasons you state: Fire is all about damage. What's the point of making Fire the most damage if you are just going to take it away through resistances? If it were true wouldn't it be better to take a lower damage element that is resisted less (for overall equal damage) and get some sort of secondary buff (mana return, etc)?

Damage is all that Fire has going for it. Taking that away defeats the purpose of Fire.
Edited by Maxzero#6850 on 5/8/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Where are you seeing 5k in mana @ 60?

Naked @ 60 you will have 740 mana.

actually every site I've been to says you start with 500 mana at level 1 and get 100 per level up to 6500 at level 60. I've spent the past several hours looking it up to double check. That means 20% is 1300 so 7800 and 1% of that is 78 mana regen'd per second from the skill if you further increase your mana pool your simultaneously increasing your regen. add in the 300% bonus regen to your 20 base that's 80 unless they worded it wrong and it increases it not BY 300% but to 300% then its still 60 add this skilll in for 78 more thats 138 add in the 2 from the templar's aura thats 140 and my build is not mana solvent unless i have a casting speed over 1per second and that can be made up for by increasing my regen via gear. even if i don't and i use say a azurewrath or wizardspike for 1.7 cast per second thats 238 mana per second so i'd need an additional 97 mana per second. However we can run for 82 seconds without moving so either me or my target is dead by that point. add in the 15% of mana being paid in health and that reduces the 238 to 202 mana so you'd last a further 47.5 seconds to 130 seconds. seriously 2 minutes of casting if you don't move and cast as fast as possible before running oom with the fastest weapons in the game.

More realistically with movement factored in you could attack between movement phases and recasting spells when they come off cooldown for long enough to make mana a complete nonissue in winning fights. The real goal would thus be to survive longer than your opponents and thus its highly viable for inferno.

Have you been reading websites talking about Diablo 3???

http://www.d3sanc.com/forums/topic/2053-patch-14-witch-doctor/

You start with 150 mana, you get 10 per level. (150 + 590 = 740 total mana)
You start with 10 intelligence, you get 3 per level.

No where close to the 6500 you are stating.

HINT: do not use old posts from November for reference, the game has changed a lot since then.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530354572
Edited by nycgags#1368 on 5/8/2012 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4887759036 apparently someone solved the issue you will have 2k at 60 with 2400 with the rune regenning 24 mana per second. also your telling me my information is outdated as its from february while yours is only a few weeks older. That said increasing mana regen base of 20 at all levels by 300% is 80 mana per second adding that to this rune is 104 mana per second. Adding in the life rune is -15% costs and you can easily boost your mana per second with the right gear pieces by over 50 per second so its really a nonissue plus almost all the really good defensive talents have cooldowns so they are fully supported in this build
Reply Quote
Ive been trying to make a build centered around this passive. Ive seen other builds that use it but i wonder if it will be viable. The main question I have is if vision will allow us to spam or near spam high mana cost abilities to make them effective. This is what i got :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fVYTQP!dUY!YZcZYZ

Zombie Charger (Explosive beast) will be my main single target and aoe damage.
Sacrafice will be my secondary aoe damage. ( Used before i need to recast dogs or oh crap moments.)(Im not sold on this one..and maybe i could switch for something else..dunno)
The dogs and gar will be my only means of defense. I know i need some other sort of CC...but where do i put it.(Besides perhaps in the sacra slot.)
The other two long cds are nice when i use them but mainly there to keep vision running.

I could really use some help with this build. If im going somewhere help me make it happen, if you guys think its not viable thats cool too.

If you want to use sacrifice, I'd swap the voodoo rune for making more dogs. Otherwise, you can drop sacrifice and use an ability like poison dart that is super cheap. Assuming vision quest doesn't let you spam zombie charger nonstop, you could use this for good single target damage for almost free. Corpse spiders is another good cheap spell. You can use any rune you want with these, so if you find yourself wanting a snare or mana on cast or health on cast, your choice.

You also don't have to have a bunch of long cd summons to activate vision quest. You can use a defensive skill like spirit walk, soul harvest for damage, or a damage spell with a cooldown like wall of zombies or toad of hugeness. Also, if you want to use gruesome feast and are going to be blowing up your dogs, why not have them drop health globes?

Just some suggestions. I love vision quest and already have a build laid out. I'm not 100% sure on all the skills I want to use and won't know until I've had a fair amount of playtime, but I'm pretty certain on the majority of them. I'm mostly concerned about toad of hugeness being worthless vs bosses, wondering how good hex is, and having a hard time figuring out which zombie charger I'd like (probably bears). Also not sure if I'll like some of the spells like acid cloud. Good luck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]