Diablo® III

WD vs Monk Sustainable Quest/Explore/Farming

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Hey all,

The open beta demonstrated that both the Monk and Witch Doctor playstyles appeal to me as a player. I am trying to decide on one or the other based on who will have the most sustainable Quest/Explore/Farming throughout the acts. In my experience the Monk was much more agile and fast moving than the witch doctor, but the Witch Doctor had stronger AOE potential.

I would love to hear what people think, who would be a better character to stack magic find/gold find with and still be a sustainable quest/explore/farmer.

Please don't flame me Im just interested in people estimates / ideas!
Cheers
Reply Quote
if you enjoy clicking choose the Monk
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I do enjoy clicking - With elective mode I actually like using the Thunderclap rune to "teleport' to my target and then spam the '1' key which was my aoe spirit regen! :P I can imagine other setups being mouse nightmares with monk!! Obviously setting up the mouse macros for the combos is optimal, I dont know if I want to go down that track though!! :P
Reply Quote
yeah it got really annoying for me, sure you can just hold down the mouse button, but if you turn your character you need to re-click for optimal targeting and to fire the spell off faster. I think it is one of the major downsides of playing a melee class with much faster attack speed but lower damage spells.
Edited by nycgags#1368 on 5/7/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I completly agree! hehe Now your making me doubt the Monk playstyle!! Not the sustainability!! :P I am leening toward WD anyway - I was a Necro in D2 and a Warlock in Wow :P I like Summons but I dont like revolving about them, I just like the extra cc!! :P
Reply Quote
36 Worgen Druid
I actually think the Monk may allow you less of a gear dependent build and area killer for farming.

The witch doctor will have no problems, don't get me wrong. It's just the Monk is going to have some tools to make things like that easier.

However, if you are seriously hunting MF, then you may want to consider a class that has abilities built in for increasing it like the Barbarian.

Back on topic, the reason I think the monk will outshine the WD with choosing MF over damage gear and in basic farming methods is some of their abilities.

The monk can teleport to a mob or mob pack, fire off an AE that pulls mobs into him and nukes them for 100% weapon damage, while healing 62hp for every point of spirit spent. They get a default 30% damage mitigation just for being a monk and their damage stat ups avoidance as opposed to mitigation. So they really get a nice blend of mitigation and avoidance naturally.

So for area farming, they will have a lot less ground to cover to loot up all the bodies :) a plus that is not to be underestimated when you are mass farming mobs.

With the use of a good passive mantra, you can fit a lot of different playstyles into it as well (damage reflector, massive defense, massive healing, damage augmentation...they can focus into an area you are interested in while maintaining mobility and mob herding.

All of this goes out the window in inferno though, who knows what will work and won't there.

With all that said, the Monk may be the better farmer, but the WD is more fun!! (my opinion of course).
Edited by Pestwulf72#1532 on 5/8/2012 11:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks for your reply Pestwulf!

You have made some great points here and I tend to agree, the Monk does offer a lot of passive benefits and the mobility that he brings makes him ideal for quick farming. I hope I can maintain magic find gear and sustainable Quest/Explore/Farming!

I also agree with you about the Barb but I am just not interested in running a Barb at launch - Until I run one last to make it 5 out of 5 completed inferno!! :P "Wink"

I think I'll be lucky to be a good enough player to "farm" inferno until I outgear it anyway!! :P

I really appreciate your post and your time thanks!! :)
Reply Quote
IMO, you're asking the wrong questions. Try both out, and figure out which play-style you enjoy the most. That's because stacking magic/gold find rapidly will run into a diminishing returns wall, and you'll have been better off stacking more gear to improve your damage. If your chance of a magic item doubles, but your speed of killing monsters drops by half, you've gained nothing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks for your reply TheJackal!

I completely agree, I have 6 days to fill in - why not discuss something out loud thats on my mind!? hehe

I can't argue with your logic either, I believe your correct in your estimate about diminishing returns - I guess I'm trying to estimate which class - the Monk or the WD can "afford" to stack more Magic Find and be sustainable!

But, if your stating that Magic Find is a waste of time and it would be more benefiscial to stack primary stats which will raise your sustainablility exponentially then thats great!

Now you understand why this thread has purpose because it has given me something further to consider when making my choices on character / gear selection!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your thought! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]