Diablo® III

Diablo III: Wrath

I am pretty positive that the battle shown was on Pandemonium, and I'm assuming that it is happening even before The Sin War, since the fight is actually happening. Lore-has-it that the Eternal Conflict ground to a halt when the Worldstone went missing from The Pandemonium Fortress so I doubt that a bout would begin in what is essentially now a baron wasteland especially one that involves the Angiris Council and at least one Prime. Not to mention that Diablo was there, which would at the very least place the event before the Dark Exile.

So considering the timeline of the event, what was Diablo's trap? Was it simply fueling Imperius's anger and creating a rift between the Council, or was it something else?

It could explain Imperius's kill vote after the Sin War, which Diablo would not have liked, but he didn't know that the whole Sanctuary thing was going to happen. It could also explain Malthael's change in personality.

Deckard Cain:
I have heard tales of Malthael staring into the chalice for years on end in his quarter of the High Heavens, the Pools of Wisdom. The pools are infinitely deep wells of emotion. Those who gaze into them see not their own reflection, but the sum total of emotion that all sentient beings in the universe are experiencing at that moment. It is from these pools, I believe, that Malthael draws to fill his chalice. One intriguing fact concerning Malthael is that the darkening of his mood is said to have taken place in the years following Sanctuary's creation. ... Perhaps Malthael's chance in demeanor is connected to his chalice and the visions he beheld there?

P.S. Yes, Valor turns to Wrath blah blah blah it's quite obvious.

Edit: I should learn to read. The description of the video answers my question.

Long before the creation of Sanctuary, the Eternal Conflict between angels and demons raged on for untold millennia. Blizzard Entertainment teamed up with renowned director Peter Chung and acclaimed animation studio Titmouse to create this unique vision of a fundamental moment in the battle between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 5/8/2012 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well that pretty much seems like Diablo's primary intention. I believe he wasn't as concerned with actually fueling Imperius' wrath as he was concerned with splitting the council.

Thanks for mentioning that it was probably on Pandemonium because the fortress actually looked like Caldeum which had me ridiculously confused. lol

I think that this event may have helped to cause Tyrael to vote against Imperius and spare the humans.
Reply Quote
Something that came to my mind as a result of this awesome animated clip...

Do you think Heaven and Hell are -forced- to remain balanced to one another? The Unity of the Angiris Council shattered, and at some point after, we have the Civil War in Hell as a result of the Dark Exile... In the Book of Cain, we know Anu and Tethamet battled until they were too exhausted to do more than deliver their death blows, and we also know Heaven and Hell are but a continuation of that conflict. Could it be the two are, once again, growing fatigued and exhausted, thus the cracks in Heaven's unity, and the Dark Exile leading to a Civil War in Hell?

Could the End Days be a prophecy more about the End of the Eternal Conflict than an end to Sanctuary?
Reply Quote
I thought it was a very straight forward taunting trap of breaking the council up but I don't know too much of the lore myself.

I do wish that video was longer and or was turned into a web or tv series.
Edited by FlyingArmbar#1873 on 5/8/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If the fight in the animated short was before the creation of sanctuary, how come Inarius was not in the video with Angiris council? The council works as a unified group...? I don't really get this.
Reply Quote
05/08/2012 06:33 PMPosted by scharnhorst
If the fight in the animated short was before the creation of sanctuary, how come Inarius was not in the video with Angiris council? The council works as a unified group...? I don't really get this.

Inarius was an advisor to the Council, not a member.
Reply Quote
05/08/2012 06:17 PMPosted by FlyingArmbar
I thought it was a very straight forward taunting trap of breaking the council up but I don't know too much of the lore myself.
It would seem to be the case but I am hesitant since rarely is something ever what it seems to be when dealing with the primes.
Reply Quote
Diablo's blood spill on Archangels body, does that means they will be corrupted?
Reply Quote
05/08/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Ildun
Diablo's blood spill on Archangels body, does that means they will be corrupted?

Yep, they are all corrupted now...

No man, come on.
Reply Quote
Something that came to my mind as a result of this awesome animated clip...

Do you think Heaven and Hell are -forced- to remain balanced to one another? The Unity of the Angiris Council shattered, and at some point after, we have the Civil War in Hell as a result of the Dark Exile... In the Book of Cain, we know Anu and Tethamet battled until they were too exhausted to do more than deliver their death blows, and we also know Heaven and Hell are but a continuation of that conflict. Could it be the two are, once again, growing fatigued and exhausted, thus the cracks in Heaven's unity, and the Dark Exile leading to a Civil War in Hell?

Could the End Days be a prophecy more about the End of the Eternal Conflict than an end to Sanctuary?

makes sense to me.
Reply Quote
You know, I kind of just expect the trap to be more just to plant the seeds of wrath into Imperious's heart so that eventually, Azmodan will be able to control him (being the lord of sin and wrath being a sin).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
So you think that this plan of Diablo's was to split the council and maybe corrupt Imperious? I wonder what the other council members will do as Imperious gets corrupted if he is indeed being corrupted. i am so enjoying this story
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
he is not corrupted at all, diablo only wanted to make Imperius to liberate all his fury contained within so that it would create some disagreement between the council, and thus dimnishing its strenght, allowing Diablo to win the war against them.
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Brunobyof
he is not corrupted at all, diablo only wanted to make Imperius to liberate all his fury contained within so that it would create some disagreement between the council, and thus dimnishing its strenght, allowing Diablo to win the war against them.

This.

That was why it was distinctly pointed out that the council's unity was their strength.

I do think, however, that Cain's last few lines more or less confirm that Imperius is going to be a boss.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Something like "there will be any hope when all the valor turn to wrath?" ?

I don't think so. Imperius is unlikely to be a boss. He would be too much of a challenge
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
How can you say that Imperious would be too tough? It seemed that Diablo was holding his own rather easily against him. If we can beat Diablo not just once, but twice. Why couldn't we beat Imperious?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
You are actually right. But even so, i don't think Imperius will be a boss.
Reply Quote
Something like "there will be any hope when all the valor turn to wrath?" ?

I don't think so. Imperius is unlikely to be a boss. He would be too much of a challenge

I think the quote was something along the lines of "What hope does humanity have if even the wrath of angels cannot be quenched?"

And not to take sides or anything, but I think there is heavy supposition that Imperius is indeed intended to be a boss in the game. I think it only makes sense since its also assumed that he is to turn into the incarnation of Wrath.

I think Invidious up above said something along the lines of planting the seeds of division in the Council, and I agree with him to that point. But I don't think it is done in order to have Azmodan take control over him. By all accounts we have seen, Azmodan and Diablo have, at best, been at each other's throats for dominion over the Burning Hells (at least in the context of Azmodan wrestling power from the Prime Evils).

Moreover I think Imperius is 'too large a figure' to be easily 'mind-controlled' by Azmodan. If anything, Diablo is trying to bring him over to the 'Dark Side.' ;D
Reply Quote
I'm surprised no one has asked: Where does this take place in the Diablo timeline?

Diablo and Tyrael are alive, so it's probably before Diablo 1, right?

Can someone please shed some light as to where this fits in, and why?
Reply Quote
I'm surprised no one has asked: Where does this take place in the Diablo timeline?

Diablo and Tyrael are alive, so it's probably before Diablo 1, right?

Can someone please shed some light as to where this fits in, and why?
I explained that in the OP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]