Diablo® III

Please tell me if I did this right

So here's my spirit build, I've been reading alot about weither I should go Dot, Spirit, or Pet build. I seem to really like the Spirit build so far, tho i'm not sure if im lacking anything.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUdjX!fWb!aYYZYZ

Check it out tell me what you guys think,

nerdZthaHeala,
Future Witch Doctah
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
i like the build, but i feel like you have too much mana, and not enough mana spender.

as a spirit build, you have to emphasis on damage dealing, because your build is alrdy focused around mana regeneration.

i would suggest taking Haunt(Resentful spirit)
Summon a vengeful spirit that does 287% weapon damage as Arcane over 3 seconds.
the tooltip is bugged, but basically, it makes ur 15 sec dot into a 3 sec dot with half the dmg over 3 seconds. its a massive damage buff, and will certainly make better use of all that extra mana that you will carry arround.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback,

I will revise since ur actually right about the too much mana, what do you think about replacing spiritual attunement with Spirit Vessel ? Reduces my cooldowns and gives me good life regen ( since I mostly wont have any pets to tank for me )

And yes I think going on Haunt with Resentful Spirit seems very reliable option.
Edited by nerdZ#1873 on 5/8/2012 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
Hey Nerdz,
Pretty good looking spirit build.

My only real suggestion for you is to change the rune on Spirit Walk. Whenever you'll be casting it, it will be for escape/defense purposes, and you already have damaging abilities that are more effective. Might as well give yourself something that helps defensively, like Jaunt, Honored Guest, or Healing Journey.

Other suggestions (just for consideration nothing more):
-Haunt has a seriously small range. While I like how you have it set up as an extra escape ability (20% move speed would synergize well with Spirit Walk as well), 12 yards is puny and I would probably recommend the Face of Death rune.
This is why:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/data/632/medium/D3_Distance_Map.jpg

-You may find yourself getting swarmed, because while you do have CC, you don't have it on a short cooldown (Eg Grasp of the Dead), and you have no AoE damage to compensate, so if for some reason your CC misses, or fails (see confusion) you're now neck deep in mobs and will be forced to pop your Spirit Walk to escape. You'll have excellent single target DPS (even better if you switch Haunt to the Resentful Spirit rune), but essentially no AoE.

-I don't know your intentions for late game, but in Hell and Inferno, there will likely be dual immune monsters. This means Physical and Arcane immune monsters will have their way with you. There are no guarantees of this though, so you may be fine.

TL;DR:
-Spirit Walk rune should be changed to a defensive rune IMO,
-May want to get Face of Death rune for Horrify,
-Would recommend to have more AoE and a better slowing mechanic than Haunt's Slow rune.
-Potential need for damage versatility.
Reply Quote
Hey Mookie thanks for the in depth review,

Here are some of the changes I made so far :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUdjX!fWV!aZYZYb

For the Haunt, I changed it based on Silverbacks's feedback to resentful spirit (makes it spammable)

As for CC, I have Spirit walk which is on 15 sec. cooldown, Horrify on 20 sec. cooldown, and Mass Confusion in those OMGWTFBBQ moments, on 60 second cooldown.

Spirit walk doesn't have much of a "defensive" rune unfortunatly as the 7%x2sec. gives you 14% life back, not sure if it is worth it.

I am still looking into the possibilites of AOE ... not sure what I should pick tho.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
No problem.

14% life is quite a bit when you need it, and you're invulnerable for 2 seconds while gaining it.
Spirit Walk is also NOT a CC. It is a defensive ability yes, but it does nothing to interfere with monsters, other than directly targeting you. Don't get me wrong, it's useful and a valuable part of your build, but not a CC.

Horrify and Mass Confusion are both powerful AoE CCs, but on relatively long CDs, and if D3 is anything like D2, neither will likely affect Bosses or Champions. Slow is pretty useful overall, and GotD has a low cooldown, and a decent duration, and get be either runed for a CD shorter than its duration or for 80% slow, which practically stops monsters in their tracks.

However, additional CC is NOT your greatest concern, as I said, Horrify and MC are powerful enough, and will likely save your life many times. Some AoE is definitely needed unless you intend to group and be a boss/champion nuker, or maybe for PVP when it is released. The easiest thing to add that could take advantage of your mana regen would likely be Acid Cloud runed with either Acid Rain, Kiss of Death, or Corpse Bomb. (Good advantages to all 3, really up to play-style). Alternatively, Locust Swarm with Pestilence spreads VERY quickly in a tightly knit crowd for some good damage, but it is a melee range skill, so use at your own risk!

I realize that adding any of GotD, AC, or LS goes against a pure spirit build, but there are no AoE spirit damaging attacks, with the exception of Soul Harvest runed with Vengeful Spirit, but then you lose a heal, and can only use it in really close quarters anyways.

EDIT: Spelling.
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/8/2012 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i like the build, but i feel like you have too much mana, and not enough mana spender.

as a spirit build, you have to emphasis on damage dealing, because your build is alrdy focused around mana regeneration.

i would suggest taking Haunt(Resentful spirit)
Summon a vengeful spirit that does 287% weapon damage as Arcane over 3 seconds.
the tooltip is bugged, but basically, it makes ur 15 sec dot into a 3 sec dot with half the dmg over 3 seconds. its a massive damage buff, and will certainly make better use of all that extra mana that you will carry arround.

i dont agree with that, that rune was your only slow....30% only but its better then no slow....i think you have plenty of damage with dot and DD
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
@Bellexus:
All his abilities and passives are basically tuned to bring in Mana. With Resentful Spirit he doubles his single target DPS using Haunt and makes better use of his Mana. He does have plenty of damage either way, but only for single/limited targets. Even with a high cast rate, good luck slowing a crowd of mobs with Haunt alone before they get to you.

Damage and hard CC he has plenty of, his only major weakness is in a lack of AoE/slows.
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/8/2012 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]