Diablo® III

Why digital download same price as retail box

60 Tauren Paladin
Shouldnt the digital download copy be cheaper since they dont need to make a dvd, manual, box, or pay shipping and retail costs?

Im sure that keeping a download database running so many people can download is alot cheaper than all those costs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Brick & Mortal stores already despise digital versions of the game, even with it being same price.
If blizzard wanted to make digital cheaper they would probably have to compromise and release digital after initial game launch to appease brick and mortal retailers, else some of those stores may choose not to even carry the game at all
Reply Quote
yea if digital was cheaper, brick and mortar would be pisssseeddd
Reply Quote
Understand too man, it's Diablo 3, a major title release for Blizzard since Starcraft 2, and they are gonna get every cent they want, why? We love their games, they deliver uncanny results, and patience pays off well.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Pretty much what the other guys said. On the plus side, Brick and mortar wont be around for too much longer, so we wont have to deal with it forever.
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Paladin
Then maybe they shouldnt be selling the game in the stores at all, or they could sell something like the timecard that just had an account key for the game that you could type in to download online.

That way you could still give the game as a physical gift in a box, without the cost of a dvd case and manual.

Or the store version could be the same as the collectors edition, but not limited edition, available always. So the store version would always have more goodies in it, making it more expensive than the digital download.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
This is "business." Profit goes to the company, not to customers.

You might not find this beneficial, but many people like I am find it worth paying same price, because not only I don't have to travel to retail store and wait, I can pre-install and play the game at the launch. Sweet deal to me.
Reply Quote
Convenience fee
Reply Quote
Within our lifetime, we'll likely see physical copies of newly released games become something that we used to do.

Until then, build a bridge, I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Brick & Mortal stores already despise digital versions of the game, even with it being same price.
If blizzard wanted to make digital cheaper they would probably have to compromise and release digital after initial game launch to appease brick and mortal retailers, else some of those stores may choose not to even carry the game at all

This one hit the nail on the head. They have to appease the brick and mortars or they risk the stores not shelving it, which would decimate their sales. But someday, when the infrastructure is better and more people can buy digital, those stores will go bye bye. I know I don't buy games from a store any more, in the future less people will.
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Paladin

This one hit the nail on the head. They have to appease the brick and mortars or they risk the stores not shelving it, which would decimate their sales. But someday, when the infrastructure is better and more people can buy digital, those stores will go bye bye. I know I don't buy games from a store any more, in the future less people will.

What do you mean when more people can buy digital? This game can only be played online, and if you can get online you can download the game. And now with many ways to get debit cards it is easy to make online purchases. Most retailers dont even take checks anymore, how long before they refuse to accept cash?
Reply Quote
Well for me its cheaper. No tax through bliz
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Paladin
I believe when you buy software, you're technically only buying the license. The disk itself doesn't legally become your property, I believe. All basic materials that come with a standard edition probably count as a 'free bonus'.

Thats the most rediculous thing ive heard.

So if i pay for a night of sex does that mean at any time her pimp could barge into the hotel room and decide to cancel my contract, taking my hooker and paying me back a pro-rated amount for time served?
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 12:19 AMPosted by Tonimontana
Digital dowload SHOULD be cheaper but it isnt.

I agree
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Craysv1
Digital dowload SHOULD be cheaper but it isnt.

I agree

Nah. Lets make the retail box more expensive.
Reply Quote
Haha saw today here in Australia the boxed version is going for $10 cheaper than the digital one at JB HiFi. Pity I already bought digital oh we'll worth it..
Edited by tussntussnx#6781 on 5/9/2012 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]