Updating System Files.

90 Undead Mage
Hi all,

I resolved this issue by doing the following

- start secondary logon service and set to automatic
- delete battle.net folder in the program data folder
- run launcher as admin
>>> At this point the 'updating setup files' froze at about 95% <<<
- let it sit there for a couple mins and then opened task manager and killed the Agent process, did not kill the D3 setup process
- The agent service did not restart as it normally would, i went to C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954 and ran agent.exe as admin
>>> The progress bar then went back to halfway, and then started processing all the way to 100%<<<

i am now installing the game.

So this , Thanks a lot : )
Reply Quote
Managed to get the game installed following the steps on this page: Using that download link and replacing my battle.net folder otherwise it always locks up around 30%. Installation didn't update real time, it appeared to be frozen but was still downloading and installing. I only saw 4 states during the installation bar: 0%, 10%, 85%, 100%. Upon reaching 100% installer froze. I went to bed at that point. This morning I was back to step one trying to run the game .exe. To add to all this now my wow launcher crashes and I cannot log into wow either.

I returned to this thread when through the steps, replaced my battle.net folder with the one in the link (cause it worked last night) and i make it to the launcher but now i'm stuck initializing and the Battle.net Update Agent is continually cycling through a crashed state, not working and re-opening. After about 20 minutes of being stuck at Initializing the launcher pops up with "There was a connection error". This is such a big disappointment. I'm the biggest blizzard fan I know and was so hyped for this game. :( Please help.

Note: I also wanted to mention I didn't have any issues playing or setting up the beta.
Edited by Dum#1253 on 5/15/2012 5:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I find it baffling that so many people trust random files (some executable) from random third party websites. It's no wonder so many people get their accounts hacked when they are willing to do such dangerous things as this. Enjoy your 100% confirmed viruses.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I tried what you said an it works now. Thanks for the help!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Confirmed, if your UAC (User Account Control - Secondary Logon) is disabled the launcher will not come up and you will be caught in the endless setup loop.

To check, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and scroll down to Secondary Logon. right click it and select properties. Check it's startup status and change it to automatic or manual if it's currently set to disabled.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Running into this same issue and i can not find the appearance and personalization folder in control panel to toggle hidden folders off. Don't know if this is just something with my computer or what >.> making me a little angry though
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
i can't even FIND a battle.net folder or a cache folder in my diablo 3 folder. question? i told my installer to put the files in C:/program files x86. does that mean that that is where my battle.net folder and cache folder are? because they are not there, and i can't find them w/ the file search engine either. spent half a day downloading, and now im getting the 60% updating setup file bug, and i can't fix it because i can't find the right folders.

(just a heads up, im running windows xp proffesional x64 on an hp xw8400)
Reply Quote
Antialliance,

I think the battle.net folder you're looking for is found here: C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment. It is hidden by default.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
Same prob here. Tried on 2 different laptops, and on PC nothing works.

W
Reply Quote
My download kept getting stuck. 32%, then 51%. I resolved the problem by taking the following steps.

*Delete the cache folder at C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment (This folder is hidden by default.)
*Disabled Carbonite. (This is the backup software I use. I suspect it may have been attempting to backup the cache as it was being downloaded.)
*Disabled Peer-to-Peer download in the Diablo III downloader. (Options -> Download Preferences -> uncheck 'Enable Peer-to-Peer Transfer)
*Reboot
*Right click Diablo III and run as administrator.

I'm not sure which of these was actually necessary because I was too frantic to properly step through the trouble shooting process. :-)
Edited by Cyrus#1322 on 5/15/2012 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only way to get my collectors edition to work was the legit download method, I had the beta running ok but my install would hang at 95% now playing ok.

Alienware m14x
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
i have the game fully installed and everything, but when i click play from the launcher, it wont start the game, it just sits at "launching" and nothing happens. anyone have any idea whats going on?
Reply Quote

IT WORKED!!!!!YOU ARE THE MAN!!!OMFG
Reply Quote
I resolved this issue by doing the following

- start secondary logon service and set to automatic
- delete battle.net folder in the program data folder
- run launcher as admin
>>> At this point the 'updating setup files' froze at about 95% <<<
- let it sit there for a couple mins and then opened task manager and killed the Agent process, did not kill the D3 setup process
- The agent service did not restart as it normally would, i went to C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954 and ran agent.exe as admin
>>> The progress bar then went back to halfway, and then started processing all the way to 100%<<<

After 2 hours of trying the other fixes, this worked. Thank the lord. Also, had to run the setup in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
this works ,, you need to keep deleting the agent 32 in your task manager . it will keep popping up click click like a sniper an it will go threw
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Ok i got it working, after trying for about 1-2 days , i tried every single fix in the internet.

Try this as your last resort, and IT SHOULD work.

first of all, close any programs you have running, make sure on the bottom right of your task bar that u have all background programs OFF, make sure your skype isint running or msn etc.

next were ganna add firewall rules to the diablo 3 installer.exe , type firewall into START, and in the right side or left its going to say , Inbound and Outbound rules, make sure you add the diablo 3 installer US.exe as a program on both of them and enable it it connect to everything.

once that is done, here comes the more technical part.

goto your C: drive > program data ( you might have to set your organize folders to view hidden files) > battle.net

delete your battle.net folder , and then goto C:drive > program data > blizzard entertainment > delete the CACHE folder , if you dont see it, it might be within the battle.net folder.

OK next we have to enable secondary logon.. THIS IS recommended.. if you want to ever play diablo 3, todo this goto start > type services into the run bar, a little gear pops up called services, click it and when it opens look for "Secondary Logon" it should be in alphabeticle order on the list, right click secondary logon and goto properties, once in the properties look near the middle of the box you will see where it says "Start up type " click that and make it "Automatic"

Next , make sure your Diablo 3 Installer US.exe is set to run as administrator.

Final Step, Goto START > in the run bar type msconfig and press enter, when the system configuration box pops up click the top general tab, click selective start up .. UNCHECK everything under it except "use original configuration" select selective start up again and check on "load system services", RESTART your computer, once the restart is complete run your diablo 3 installer.. it will take about 5-10 minutes, dont get annoyed and think it wont work.. thats kinda how i felt, but depending on your computers speed it will work, just give it abit of time.. now im happily installing and enjoying an awesome game :).

I hope i helped.
This should fix your problems, i made afew typo's but its because im typing quick.
Edited by Trait on 5/15/2012 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you so much, sir.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I am hung up on updating system files, I have the exact same issue with the mist of pandaria beta.

I have tried all troubleshooting options to no avail, please blizzard find a solution to this.
Reply Quote
i've done everything that you've said that i should do up until deleting the battle.net folder... it's saying that the program is in use, so what should i do? i checked that nothing is running, and still nothing. HEEEELP.
Edit:
i also would like to know which battle.net folder i'm supposed to be deleting, is it the one thats directly in the folder? or is it the one in blizzard entertainment
Edited by cr8terguy#1588 on 5/15/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]