Diablo® III

Updating System Files.

I've been up all night with this buggy crap. I haven't had to muck around like this since 1995. What a joke. Why release a game before the bugs are fixed. This is absolutely horrible and pathetic. The number of hoops one has to jump through to get the launcher to work FFS!

F*** battle.net I hate it. Should have been released through steam - would have been flawless instead of fail.net.

Not happy.

Negative nancy.
Reply Quote
Omrakos,

Can I send you my MSInfo and DXDiag to be looked at as well, I am having the same issues as Abe and the rest?

All right, why don't you three, Abe, nightmare, and Nothgard, send me your msinfo information. I need to see if there are any signs of internet security apps in there that may be causing issues.

Use the instructions in this article but just do it for the msinfo, not the others.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/22660

Send the resulting file to me as an attachment via an email to Omrakos.Support@Blizzard.com

Make sure you identify yourself with your posting name in this thread so I can keep them straight.

Finally made progress. The trick:
go to C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.913
run Agent.exe
very quickly (or it'll close) run Diablo III setup.exe
there's been a lot of status update text in the agent window, but progress slowly increasing, and the logs look like it's working.

Praise you, it worked
Reply Quote
What if I don't have an Agent.913 file?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I had the same problems, 20 minutes checking this error and trying everything omrakos said, then it poped up, it worked. But i didnt try what the mop user said. Do you need my MSINFO?
Edited by Skorge#1237 on 5/11/2012 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Finally it worked after 2 weeks :)

I have a Windows 7 - 64bits.

What I did in order:

1. Enable the Secondary Logon service and change its properties so that it will initiate automatically.
2. Reboot
3. Delete C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder
4. Disable my firewall AND my antivirus
5. Enable Windows XP v.3 compatibility of Diablo III Setup.exe
6. Run Diablo III Setup.exe as administrator
Reply Quote
run Agent.exe
there's been a lot of status update text in the agent window, but progress slowly increasing, and the logs look like it's working.

Praise you, it worked

false alarm, it decided to stop working again
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warlock
I've tried all of these fixes, tried em for the MoP beta as well and nothing either. So much for the WoW annual pass and free D3. I really hope you guys get this fixed, a bit ticked off I can't play D3 when it comes out next week.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Omrakos was earlier saying to try the following:

STEP 1: open your internet explorer and do the following:

internet options > Connections > LAN Settings > uncheck "Automatically detect settings"

STEP 2: CTRL ALT DEL Kill any Agent*32/Launcher.exe

go to : C:\ProgramData\ and delete the Battle.net folder (THE WHOLE FOLDER)

Run the installer now. When it seems to hang:

Start Task Manager and end the Agent.exe process (not process tree). Then take a look at your updater. It should complete.

//Using a Window7 64-Bit OS

This solution alone did not work for me; however, I tried upgrading to IE9 then unchecking "Automatically detect settings" as well as deleting both Battle.net folders, enabling Secondary Logon, and using the Selective start up trick and that got the agent.exe file opening the installer window with the message everyone wants to see.

Hope this helps =)
Edited by Swagdaddy#1497 on 5/11/2012 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
30 Undead Mage
I set Secondary Logon to Manual but didn't fix it by itself.
^This and uninstalling MoP beta worked. /shrug

This is why I love yet hate computers. Oh career choices...lol, life full of problems, pockets full of cash.
Reply Quote
3 days to go, and still no fix. I am starting to panic people.
Reply Quote
run Agent.exe

Dont have agent.913 anymore, now i have 954 and 524. Neither of which work
Reply Quote
05/12/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Abe
3 days to go, and still no fix. I am starting to panic people.

I've had the "Updating setup files" bug since mid-beta. Today, I finally bypassed it and got to the install screen.

Here are the steps I took which FAILED TO solve my problem:

Ended agent.exe in task manager
Downloaded someone's "working" agent file
Started the agent.exe prior to install attempt
Deleted/moved and or renamed Battle.net folder, Blizzard Entertainment folder, cache folder, and d3 install location.
Enabled secondary login service
Checked "Never dial a connection" and toggled "Automatically detect internet settings"
Disabled anti-virus and firewalls
Disabled all startup programs
Rebooted in safe mode
Rebooted in safe mode with networking
^^^^^^^^^^^^
None of that worked for me.

So here's what I did that that ultimately FIXED my problem:

I Created another windows user profile with admin privileges. Logged off my main account and onto the new profile, and clicked the install executable. It simply bypassed the "Updating Setup Files" screen without any hiccups. It's now sitting at the "Install now" screen. Once it installs on Monday, I'll hop back on my main User profile and play the installed D3. Hope this helps someone.
Edited by WellWishrELF#1239 on 5/12/2012 6:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I hate to say that my "fix" is a pain in the !@#.

None of the things mentioned on this page have helped me. Abe, I certainly hope this helps you.

I had zero issues installing D3 on my laptop. Upon trying to install it on my roommate's powerhouse computer, I ran into the exact same Updating System Files issues. I have tried everything. Deleting folders, changing privileges, running safe mode install... all to no avail.

I had the same issue during Beta and fortunately my work-around worked there, too.

I copied all of the installation files that came with the Blizzard downloader onto a 16gb memory stick. The files are as follows:
-[FOLDER] Diablo III Setup.app
-Diablo III Setup.exe
-external_resources.rcc
-Installer Tome 1.MPQE
-Installer Tome 2.MPQE
-Installer Tome 3.MPQE
-Launcher
-SetupOSX.mpq
-SetupWin.mpq
I then copied the two folders we were told to delete (ProgramData/Battle.net and also ProgramData/Blizzard Entertainment/Cache) on the memory card. I quite simply pasted the two folders into their proper locations and the installation files into a folder on the desktop.

It stalled at 70% for a couple seconds but pushed on. Works flawlessly; now just waiting for May 15!

Good luck. If you have any questions about my fix just email me: curtner@gmail.com - Goes to my phone :: I'll reply as soon as I can.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
05/10/2012 08:31 PMPosted by Abe
How could a game that is SO mainstreem, from such a massive company, with so much hype, have such an atrociously bugged installer?
The installer is not bugged. There are literally thousands of hardware and software configurations that users have. You cannot expect a company to test each one. So far all the posts I have read regarding this issue have resulted in something on the end user's side that's causing agent to not work properly. I can see the level of frustration and I'm hoping I don't run into this (still downloading) but we'll see.

so apparently that's the solution- start Agent.913\Agent.exe BEFORE Diablo III Setup.exe, (again, one then the other almost immediately, or Agent will close itself)
Agent isn't closing itself, something on your computer is.
Reply Quote
I figured mine out just now.

I have 2 accounts on my computer. The administrator account and my user account. I switched accounts and logged into the admin account just to see if there was something strange going on over there. Turns out that IE9 had a proxy set up from about 6 months ago when I was writing an article about TOR (the web tunneling service, not the MMO). As soon as I unchecked the proxy and "Automatically detect" boxes in the IE9 setup on the administrator account, it ran flawlessly.

So -
  • Open IE
  • Settings
  • Internet Options
  • Connetions
  • Lan Settings (button at the bottom)
  • Uncheck all of the boxes
  • OK
  • OK
  • Delete Battle.net folder
  • Run Diablo III installer
  • Keep in mind that this was done with Windows 7 64-bit using IE9. I'm not saying that it will work for you, but this is what did it for me. Hopefully it will help someone else.
    Reply Quote
    80 Draenei Warrior
    05/12/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Legitpwnage
    Agent isn't closing itself, something on your computer is.

Not true- if agent is running BEFORE the setup, it will close itself after about 30 seconds because nothing's using it.
    Reply Quote
    70 Undead Rogue
    After getting struck at %90 for hours and hours I tryed end agent.exe from task manager couple of times while setup sitting at %90 finally I got diablo screen but when I click 'install' it says ''the fire from the sky still falls. Diablo 3 has not launched''. I am done until game relase?
    Reply Quote
    85 Gnome Death Knight
    Orn I'm getting a hard drive full error :/ after it just says updating system files for like 2 hours. It says hard drive full, insufficient space to install diablo 3, please make room. I have a 750 gig HDD with 615 gigs of free space. Any ideas?
    Reply Quote
    95 Orc Warrior
    Its not a few people, it is A LOT of people. And I understand things like this happen but when this problem has been around for months with the BETA launchers it should have been fixed. I spent countless hours fixing my BETA for Diablo and somehow it worked but what I did isn't working for the actual game now. So now I'm spending more countless hours to try and fix just my problem when blizzard could have fixed the whole things months ago
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]