Diablo® III

Updating System Files.

95 Orc Warrior
Its not that it's bugged its that blizzard picked a poor choice of an installer. Almost all other games don't have this issue. Its blizzards inflexible system that's causing the problem
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
So, this last update broke it again, so I deleted the battle.net folder and re-ran... now it gets to Launching Blizzard Launcher every time, then jumps back to Updating System Files, repeating endlessly. the MoP beta goes to Launching Blizzard Launcher, then the window closes, with nothing being run.

In the Agent.954 folder's Logs folder, the AgentErrors logs have one of these for each attempted launch:

20:34:45.8754 GameSession: Failed to launch the binary launch path at "C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Client/Blizzard Launcher.exe".
20:34:46.5210 GameSessionRootResource - Failed to execute (C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Client/Blizzard Launcher.exe).

the main log has something like this:

20:23:53.4364 Request Issued: POST /gamesession
{
"uid" : "client",
"launch_arguments" : [
"--install",
"--tomepath=C:\\Users\\Jake\\Documents\\Diablo III\\Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer\\Installer Tome 1.MPQE",
"--game=diablo3_enus",
"--diskinstall",
"--encrypted"
]
}
20:23:53.4372 Agent::Product::StartSession() - Begin Waiting
20:23:53.4373 Agent::Product::StartSession() - End Waiting
20:23:56.0562 Response: 200
{
"error" : 2115.000000,
"launch_path" : "C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Client/Blizzard Launcher.exe"
}
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
And of course, right after I post that, I realize I should try running Agent.954 before the setup like with 913, and it works (kinda). running Agent.954 directly doesn't keep the console window open like 913 did, thought it wasn't working that way.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Did you disable 'Secondary Logon' service and/or UAC? (You shouldn't)

Or did you set any of the files in the Battle.net folder to always start as admin or to use compatibility mode? (You shouldn't use any of the compatibility modes either)
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/12/2012 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not sure how much trouble all the legalities of using a remote program would be but it seems that the issue would be resolved much simpler if one was allowed. I bet if allowed then Blizzard could acquire a Teamviewer license in no time and fix all these issues themselves. They could even hire people like me out in the middle of no where to fix the issues for them!
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
Hm. If I try running the Diablo III Setup.exe located in C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Setup\diablo3_enus instead of the original one, it (instead of doing the loop I mentioned above), throws up a window about "Failed to launch the Blizzard Launcher" with error code BLZPTS0000C (links to http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/BLZPTS0000C). It also generates a repair_on_demand.log file that says:

22:15:33.7325 Detected Mopaq v3 header error: offset = 692224, length = 4096
22:15:33.7325 Could not repair because the storage file is not streamed.

(If I run Agent.954 first, it works and goes straight to the launcher, as with the original setup file.)

And in case you were asking me, Secondary Logon was Manual, I set it to Automatic when that was mentioned, though it didn't change how things act, and like I said, this is what I get after delete of the Battle.net folder and it recreating, so none of these files have anything like compatibility stuff set on them.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I've never had any problems with Blizzard installs before. Just now that I tried the MoP beta and couldn't get in and then pre-installing D3 to be ready for this week.

This issue has been around for weeks, if not a month or more so it's not new.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
05/12/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Admos
And in case you were asking me, Secondary Logon was Manual, I set it to Automatic when that was mentioned, though it didn't change how things act, and like I said, this is what I get after delete of the Battle.net folder and it recreating, so none of these files have anything like compatibility stuff set on them.
Deleting a file wont always clear compatibility modes because those settings are stored in the Windows registry.

Failed to launch the binary launch path at ... Blizzard Launcher.exe

You get that error when the Agent lacks enough privileges to start Blizzard Launcher.exe. You may have disabled UAC because of permission issues but you're more likely to run into permission issues when you have UAC disabled than you do with UAC enabled.

22:15:33.7325 Detected Mopaq v3 header error: offset = 692224, length = 4096
22:15:33.7325 Could not repair because the storage file is not streamed.

That's not something you should worry about, I'm getting the same thing and the launcher is working fine on my system.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/12/2012 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Mage
See if you have the Windows Secondary Logon service enabled. The game requires it and I know a lot of people disable it in hopes of making their computer more secure. It's enabled by default by Microsoft.

To check, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and scroll down to Secondary Logon. right click it and select properties. Check it's startup status and change it to automatic or manual if it's currently set to disabled.

If it's disabled, the D3 Setup.exe will appear to do nothing when ran and the MOP installation will appear to hang on Updating Setup Files. There may be other symptoms but these are two I'm seeing the most right now.

the second i hit apply to turn the secondary logon to manual, the installer poped up, thanks so much :)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
I'm not aware of having disabled UAC (doubt I have)... not actually sure where to find settings for that in Windows 7.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
Huh! actually, setting Agent.exe to XP SP3 compat mode makes it work now! (it didn't before- and I didn't have anything set to that until just now, checking)
Edited by Duskwave#1530 on 5/12/2012 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Hey Omrakos! I have followed these steps as well, and I just sent you an email from my gmail with my msinfo as well. Hope you can help me solve this issue as well!
Reply Quote
Hey guys.

I just found out that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is blocking agent.exe

I stopped the program; unfortunately I am still stuck at "updating setup files", but maybe it works for some of u guys.

Kind regards

***Update: I am still stuck, but now at 90% :D not at 60% like before ;)

***Update: I waited for 10 minutes and FINALLY I see the install button. I hope I helped a little bit.
Edited by eLoo#2315 on 5/12/2012 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Solution 4 Me Tkx a Lot !
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
See if you have the Windows Secondary Logon service enabled. The game requires it and I know a lot of people disable it in hopes of making their computer more secure. It's enabled by default by Microsoft.

To check, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and scroll down to Secondary Logon. right click it and select properties. Check it's startup status and change it to automatic or manual if it's currently set to disabled.

If it's disabled, the D3 Setup.exe will appear to do nothing when ran and the MOP installation will appear to hang on Updating Setup Files. There may be other symptoms but these are two I'm seeing the most right now.

You, Sir, have to be some kind of deity or something, I've been trying to launch MOP Beta for weeks now and FINALLY you gave me a solution to this particular problem.

Para los que tienen Windows 7 en español, el servicio que deben iniciar se llama "Inicio de sesion secundario".

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
try disabling your antivirus and mbam/anti adiware since they block agent from running otherwise u wont even get past updating since its the only thing which will fix it
Reply Quote
It seems like most people have Windows 7 but I have Windows XP and I've been having trouble looking for something that can resolve the same 'Updating setup files...' installation stuck problem.

I went ahead to follow some instructions as much as I can such as disabling firewall, anti-virus problem, enabled the Secondary Logon service, etc. but I can't delete some of the files through the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\ filepath because that doesn't exist for me in XP (would it be in a different filepath and if so, where?).

I also read the other suggestion to run the setup file through Admin but I forgot the password for it... is there some way I can work around this?

Kind of clueless with this.. would appreciate any help/advice, thanks.
Reply Quote
i think people really need to tell us how long their DL is being stuck at. do you see it not moving then say its frozen? or do you know its been like 5hrs and nothigns happend? cuz sometimes its just updating and its hella slow...

sometimes it sounds like people are DL the installer letting it run then when they see nothing is happening they just say damn its frozen then come here to post about how its frozen.
Edited by AllStar#1501 on 5/13/2012 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
but I can't delete some of the files through the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\ filepath because that doesn't exist for me in XP (would it be in a different filepath and if so, where?).

I also read the other suggestion to run the setup file through Admin but I forgot the password for it... is there some way I can work around this?

The filepath in Windows XP should be:
C:\Document and settings\All Users\Application Data\Battle.net
And you dont need to run as administrator unless you're using Windows 7/8 or Vista. Just make sure your user has admin rights.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/13/2012 12:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah, I see it, thanks Barthus, I was able to find it. I'll try it again later to see if it works.

Also, in reply UnCharted, when I say stuck, the status bar stays about the same for a long time, at least for many hours (for me, the green progress bar is about 2/3rd's complete). I don't think it's updating slow, it's just stuck and won't complete unless steps are taken to resolve it like many of the other people are also going through...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]