Diablo® III

Updating System Files.

90 Gnome Rogue
05/12/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Admos
Not true- if agent is running BEFORE the setup, it will close itself after about 30 seconds because nothing's using it.
And the Launcher checks if it's running.

Check it, from a normal log:

2012/05/13 01:29:43.296 - Checking if Agent is running. If not, run Agent.
2012/05/13 01:29:43.343 - Agent is running.

Again, if agent isn't running it's because something on the system is preventing it from starting up.

05/12/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Stromrage
finally I got diablo screen but when I click 'install' it says ''the fire from the sky still falls. Diablo 3 has not launched''. I am done until game relase?
Yes. Double check and make sure none of your files have a .part extension.

05/12/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Belzebob
please make room. I have a 750 gig HDD with 615 gigs of free space. Any ideas?
Weird. Can you post a screenshot of the error.

05/12/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Relentles
So now I'm spending more countless hours to try and fix just my problem when blizzard could have fixed the whole things months ago
There's no doubt that there are a lot of people having issues, but that doesn't mean its Blizzard issue when the amount of people having issues is way less than the number of people that were able to download the client successfully. Rather than focusing on playing the blame game, make sure you try all the steps recommended. Oh, it helps if you post what your issue is. :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Mines been stuck at 90% for about 20-25 minutes now.I tried the blue fixes when it was stuck at 60% which in turn let it go to 90%. If it helps I had a similar issue with the Mists beta.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
05/13/2012 01:50 AMPosted by Iyatis
Mines been stuck at 90% for about 20-25 minutes now.I tried the blue fixes when it was stuck at 60% which in turn let it go to 90%. If it helps I had a similar issue with the Mists beta.

After about 30 minutes (40 minutes total I believe) it completed updating setup files and is now able to install.
Reply Quote
so iono what myself and my brohter did, but my by brothers issue is solved. i just told him to delete the folder where when u hit dl the installer-downloader with the bliz icon and it ask you to save somewhere just tell it to save in my documents or something. his issue was that it would be 100% and when he clicked on connection info it wouldnt be finished. but it would be all of 7.6 i just told him to let it sit there and after while he said something popped up and was saying another application was running it and he clciked ok and when he cheked the file he had no .part tags and when he clicked d3 setup he finanlly got the message that the star isnt falling.
his 2ndry logon was on manual, it wasnt turned off. other then that we didnt do anything differnet or hardcore.

just make sure when windows pop up you allow access to certain things. like i think the first time his issue was he denied accesst to battle.net to do something.
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Iyatis

After about 30 minutes (40 minutes total I believe) it completed updating setup files and is now able to install.

i have a feeling on certain computers it just takes longer for all the files to be DL like it can say DL all already but the computer is still like organizing the stuff and stuff. just check your folder where the folder was saved and as the blue post says if you have no .part tags then your good to go!!
Reply Quote
Just thought i would add my thoughts on the installer.
Both my roommate and I have had the same 30% problem and after reading this threat and much back and forth have managed to get all the way to 100%. The combination of deleting folders and stopping Agent seemed to work both for win7 32 and 64.

That said all the computers in the house have been running logmein Hamachi (sp?) as i have seen many others on here have been. (Did we all get this for multi-player teraria?) Seems to be a fairly common theme as all the other windows settings mentioned in this thread were set correctly in the beginning. Attempting to run windows in safe mode did nothing and neither of us had to uninstall Hamachi to make this work.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
05/13/2012 03:18 AMPosted by Rockarm
That said all the computers in the house have been running logmein Hamachi (sp?)
Prior to deleting files, did you ever try disabling the hamachi network interface it creates?

Just curious.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well, count me in to the list of victims.

I've been trying all the solutions here, nothing's worked so far.

Curiously enough though, It seemed to be working for me (with issues of course) a few days ago. Maybe the updated agent made it crash again.

What I see here is that people get a little desperate because there's no visual indication that the updater is frozen. There's just this vague bar that fills up whenever the heck it wants to *if* it wants to. If you could at least add some transfer rate numbers into there letting us know when it's stopped downloading it would help us identify what the fix needed is.

BOT: Agent .954 doesn't let me get to the installer screen (Which I could access a day or two ago, although I had to work around the same issues as these guys). With only 1 1/2 left before pre-installing, this is pretty annoying. Please either change the technology or apply some visual data transfer numbers for this operation.
Edited by JeftahX#1754 on 5/13/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As a side note, I keep getting this error more often-than-not as I delete the battle.net folder continously and letting it update:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #1 (0x13370001) Fatal Exception
Program: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954\Agent.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:779E8DC9

The instruction at "0x779E8DC9" referenced memory at "0x00000014".
The memory could not be written.

Crashed Thread: 0x00000dd0

Project: 19130001
Build: 954
Project Name: Agent

"Access Violation"? Firewall's off, i have no AV installed, I'm on an administrator account running the program as an administrator. I have no clue what that means. I'd say that error pops about 3 out of every 5 tries.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
You can still open Agent.exe 954 manually and the process will remain open for the same time the Agent.913 would. But you will only see what's being done if you pass the argument --show

You can also increase the time the process will remain open by passing the argument --autoclosedelay=TIME_IN_SECONDS
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/13/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tried that again and nothing. In fact, now the ONLY error I'm getting is the "Access Violation" one, every single time. This didn't happen with agent.913. Ugh...
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
05/13/2012 10:08 AMPosted by Elfulanito
Tried that again and nothing. In fact, now the ONLY error I'm getting is the "Access Violation" one, every single time. This didn't happen with agent.913. Ugh...

You should create a new thread and post the full crash report.
Reply Quote
05/12/2012 06:14 AMPosted by wellwishrELF
3 days to go, and still no fix. I am starting to panic people.

I've had the "Updating setup files" bug since mid-beta. Today, I finally bypassed it and got to the install screen.

Here are the steps I took which FAILED TO solve my problem:

Ended agent.exe in task manager
Downloaded someone's "working" agent file
Started the agent.exe prior to install attempt
Deleted/moved and or renamed Battle.net folder, Blizzard Entertainment folder, cache folder, and d3 install location.
Enabled secondary login service
Checked "Never dial a connection" and toggled "Automatically detect internet settings"
Disabled anti-virus and firewalls
Disabled all startup programs
Rebooted in safe mode
Rebooted in safe mode with networking
^^^^^^^^^^^^
None of that worked for me.

So here's what I did that that ultimately FIXED my problem:

I Created another windows user profile with admin privileges. Logged off my main account and onto the new profile, and clicked the install executable. It simply bypassed the "Updating Setup Files" screen without any hiccups. It's now sitting at the "Install now" screen. Once it installs on Monday, I'll hop back on my main User profile and play the installed D3. Hope this helps someone.

05/12/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Legitpwnage
How could a game that is SO mainstreem, from such a massive company, with so much hype, have such an atrociously bugged installer?
The installer is not bugged. There are literally thousands of hardware and software configurations that users have. You cannot expect a company to test each one. So far all the posts I have read regarding this issue have resulted in something on the end user's side that's causing agent to not work properly. I can see the level of frustration and I'm hoping I don't run into this (still downloading) but we'll see.

so apparently that's the solution- start Agent.913\Agent.exe BEFORE Diablo III Setup.exe, (again, one then the other almost immediately, or Agent will close itself)
Agent isn't closing itself, something on your computer is.

what if its a firewall. people have firewalls set to max setting these days and everyone... run as administrator!
Reply Quote
Hey guys.

I just found out that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is blocking agent.exe

I stopped the program; unfortunately I am still stuck at "updating setup files", but maybe it works for some of u guys.

Kind regards

***Update: I am still stuck, but now at 90% :D not at 60% like before ;)

***Update: I waited for 10 minutes and FINALLY I see the install button. I hope I helped a little bit.

im assuming ALOT of you are not stuck but might be not patient enough to wait it out. it does take awhile. IT depends on your ISP internet speed etc... if you have good internet and its been sitting there for a whole day THEN you have something wrong. if nothings happened after like 2hrs close it and try it again. could be bad connection or a large file.
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Iyatis

wow after reading more and more post like this.. it was never stuck....
you just werent patient. you only waited 20-25min???? wtf???
and the after taht it was done.
it was just catching up/ modifying files etc/

damn humans these days need to be more patient....
Reply Quote
deleting battle.net folder or killing agent.exe is not working for me. i checked for secondary logon too. when i stop agent.exe, it starts again after 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
I guess I'll attempt to explain a the way I see this happening in a little more detail.

1. I start off by deleting the Battle.net folder from the hidden ProgramData folder on my C: drive.

2. I head on over to my desktop where my Diablo 3 install files are. I run Diablo 3 setup as an administrator and let it run. After a few seconds it creates a brand new Battle.net folder, updates for a second or two then closes. It re-opens and begins to "update setup files" again.

My guess is that the installer is transitioning from Agent.540 or w/e to Agent.954 and that's why it quickly closes and reopens.

3. I leave my Battle.net folder open and take a look at my progress bar. This is where the fun begins. When it's created, the Battle.net folder will have 2 folders in it: "Setup" and "Agent". I take a quick look at my progress bar and see it stay at the 30% mark for a few seconds then load up all the way to 60%. During this loading time a 3rd folder called "Client" needs to be created. If it gets to "60%" (2/3 way full) without this folder, I wait about 2-3 minutes and assumed it's failed. I then go back to step 1 and hope that it creates a "Client" folder this time.

The Client folder is usually created quickly after it moves from the 30% filled mark on the progress bar.

4. When a "Client" folder is created, it then moves on from the 60% mark to the 95% mark and stays there, unless I get one of those "Access Violation" errors I've been getting. Right now, it's been sitting at the 95% mark for 38 minutes. I'm about to finish this one game session and retry the whole thing again. That's how I got to the launcher screen when the agent was .913. It randomly finished.

Hope this helps anyone.
Reply Quote
And finally after sitting at 95% for over an hour and 15 mins, I closed the agent and got this error message instead:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #1 (0x13370001) Fatal Exception
Program: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954\Agent.exe
Exception: 0xC0000008 (INVALID_HANDLE) at 0023:773B27B8

Crashed Thread: 0x00001148

Project: 19130001
Build: 954
Project Name: Agent
Reply Quote
Getting same thing...hangs on "Updating setup files".

I've tried deleting C:\ProgramData\Battle.net.
Ending process Agent.exe.
Still sits at Updating setup files.

Being frustrated I cleaned registry and all traces of Diablo3 and re-downloaded the install again.
In the same situation.

I have nothing else running, only standard processes. Secondary Login Service has been started.
I have full administrative rights.

Have no clue what I should try next.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
05/13/2012 01:41 PMPosted by tissue
Still sits at Updating setup files.
The installer will create 3 folders inside C:\ProgramData\Battle.net. First, it creates a setup folder, then agent, then client.

Open the folder above and run the installer. Check what folders get created, the one that doesn't is more than likely blocked by a security program on your computer. Did a lot of testing with zone alarm last night and it seems to hang on updating setup files when one of those is blocked.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]