Diablo® III

Destination Directory Problem

I recently did the pre-download of the D3 installation client, but when I attempt to start the client (running as administrator) the destination directory section is completely blank, and the "Make a New Folder" option yields no result entirely.

Here is a picture of the exactly scenario that occurs every time I try to start the installer:

http://i.imgur.com/CexF2.jpg

Any help is welcome and much appreciated.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal ,

That's not a screen we have anywhere. I have no idea what that's from.

Any idea what I could do to fix my registry/whatever else might be messing with it to fix this without doing an entire system reset? I'd much rather avoid that if possible...
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal,

Can you show me a screenshot of the "Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer" folder contents you have?

I would if it could get that far. The only thing available is the installer itself in my downloads folder. It can be moved to no avail. I tried putting one on an external hard-drive to try and set a destination there. Literally the only thing I have is the installer straight from the Blizzard website, and it sends me straight to that screen.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal ,

05/10/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Mortal
I recently did the pre-download of the D3 installation client

This makes it sound as if you downloaded the client.

What is it you're clicking on that brings up the screenshot you provided?

I guess my phrasing was incorrect. I downloaded the D3 8370 Installer, and when trying to run that, the screen pops up and I'm stopped dead in my tracks. I'm almost sure if I can get passed that, it will be no issue. I even got the beta to install without issue.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal,

Ok, that's the screen you get when the installer asks for where to put the files but yours is looking very strange. Do you use some sort of theme to change the appearance in Windows?

The screen should be populated with the folder structure below where ever you're running the installer from. Copy it to your desktop and run it from there and see what it does.

For all past installations of this kind, there have been a list of folders and such available for selection. I tried to send it to the desktop and received the same exact screen.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal,

Download a new copy of the installer. It's just executing a basic Windows function to display the directory structure. No reason it shouldn't be working. When you run it, right click it and select the option to run as an admin.

I believe the problem is the basic function of displaying the directory structure, which I haven't the faintest clue how to tackle. If you have any information off hand it would be greatly appreciated, but as this is a D3 tech support forum and not a Windows support forums, I don't expect it.

Thanks for the assistance.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
For the heck of it, try not using the theme you're using, just have it use a standard Windows one or none at all.
Reply Quote
I did that. I went back to the standard Win7 theme and it did nothing.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Mortal,

Try running a virus or malware scan. This sure seems like something in Windows is messed up.

I downloaded the Diablo0III-8370-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe through the annual pass promotion.

When I double clicked on it nothing seemed to happen for about 4-5 seconds so I simply double clicked on it again thinking that I must have double clicked too slowly the first time.

Immediately after that the Diablo 3 launcher popped for half a second but then disappeared and was replaced by the default Windows 7 'Browse For Folder' window. An error was given stating another copy of the .exe was already downloading and that the second copy would close / fail.

Once I selected the 'C:' option in the 'Browse For Folder' window, downloading commenced. We'll see how that goes though!
Edited by Neilander#1899 on 5/12/2012 7:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I was having the exact same issue. After trying many different things I solved the problem. The issue is caused by having a modified ExplorerFrame.dll file in both the system32 and SysWOW64 folders, which most custom Windows 7 themes have.

Try restoring the ExplorerFrame.dll file in both locations to the original file, then run the installer, and you should see the standard directory listing to choose where to install it. It worked for me, and once the download had started I replaced the .dll with the modified one again for my theme. No restarting required, and now Diablo3 is installing happily.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]