Diablo® III

Tip's & Tricks

85 Tauren Druid
Hi Everyone.

Super excited for D3 and extremely bored at the moment so I want to share with you what I did to prepare my rig before launch. (For windows 7)

Add others if you know any :D

1. System Sweep
A computer at full capacity will slow down system performance due to all the clutter on the HD. So as the title suggest's take a sweep of your system and uninstall/delete unnecessary files. If your not sure, leave it alone

2. System Settings
You can sacrifice Windows appearance for Performance.
Start>Control Panel>System and Security>advanced settings>Performance Settings.
Choose "Adjust for best performance" or you can play around with the custom settings.

3. Clear temporary/unwanted files
Erase all unwanted files. I would recommend CCleaner - This will erase all unwanted/temporary/hidden files/cookies. It will also take out the trash for you!!! (empty recycle bin)

4. System Defrag
Fragmented files can slow up you're HD. There is a simple, easy way to make sure your HD is nice and tidy with a system defrag. Make sure to do this last.
Search "Disk Defragmenter" in windows start bar.

Soo yeah...A quick system overhaul. she'll be running like a peach mate.
Edited by Joe#1986 on 5/9/2012 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
5. Check game requirements
Make sure you meet at least the minimum requirements

6. Make sure video card drivers and directx 9 are up to date
Many don't know this but Vista and windows 7 despite having directx 10 and 11 still need directx 9 installed and up to date.

7. Scan for viruses and spyware/adware

8. Make sure windows is up to date with latest service pack

9. Stock up on food and drinks in bar fridge
You know if you don't you will not get up to eat and will starve to death
Reply Quote
You see this is why I am playing on my Macbook Pro and iMac even tho I have a PC that can play the game. I don't have to do any of these things other than;

05/10/2012 06:21 AMPosted by Heket
Stock up on food and drinks in bar fridge

It is great to see Blizzard supporting Mac. Will be the best game on the system! Of Course I could always use Bootcamp and have to do all of these. The Beta ran fine on OSX tho.

And I really don't have to do a system defrag given I am running Diablo 3 on a SSD drive. : )
Edited by oblivion#1637 on 5/10/2012 7:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I use Norton 360 - it does all of the above automatically.

05/10/2012 06:21 AMPosted by Heket
8. Make sure windows is up to date with latest service pack

Not just service packs, updates in general.
Reply Quote
You guys must have some bad PC's if your that concerned.

During beta i was i listening to music, had firefox + chrome open (several tabs in each), word documents, a couple of pdfs,anti virus doing a quick sweep and Utorrent chuggin away.

Had zero issues, no FPS drops at all, and im using a $1200 budget gaming system built about 12 - 18 months ago.

You should try and update hardware, rather than concerning yourself with software.
Reply Quote
I'm using a 2011 i7 iMac but still I'll switch to win7 to play Diablo 3. At native resolution, AA had to be turned off while i was playing beta in OS X. I work under OS X but got to say for gaming Windows is still better.
Reply Quote
LOL dont bother unless your PC is like 8 years old.

I have a mid range PC and while playing the beta I had open:

HoN (more demanding game than Diablo 3)
Itunes
Firefox (with a bunch of tabs including videos and !@#$)

And it ran perfectly.
Reply Quote
05/10/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Tenacious
You guys must have some bad PC's if your that concerned.

It pays off to maintain your PC in as good as working condition as possible.

I have friends who have more powerful comps than my own yet they are as slow as hell because of so many programs running at the same time, many of which seem unnecessary and the fact they don't care about cleaning out garbage like broken registries, temp files and the like.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10. Kiss the wife and son goodbye and tell both you'll be venturing to Tristram for awhile. When they ask what that is, reply with something akin to "...a realm of evil."
Reply Quote
11. Make a promise to yourself about D3 playtime, and keep it.
Edited by TheCulture#1554 on 5/12/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
12. Affix the colostomy bag
13. unplug landline phone
14. turn off Mobile
Reply Quote
A pack of ciggerettes and make sure to musterbed first. =P
Edited by xIaoKaKa#1282 on 5/13/2012 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]