Diablo® III

Hardcore mode and LAG:))

85 Blood Elf Rogue
In all honesty, I wanted to play in hardcore mode, but there is something I don't understand.

Why should I lose my char over lag? Can't Blizzard do something about this? I was playing a hardcore character in beta, and I lost it just because I lagged, and there she was dead. :(

I mean, no matter how good you are, you will lag somewhere and die, and it would be lame to actually lose your char just because of that.
Reply Quote
It's pretty difficult for Blizzard to do anything about lag without giving somebody a way to exploit it. :/
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
1. How is Blizzard supposed to stop lag? They don't actually own the internet.

2. How is Blizzard supposed to tell the difference between real lag and fake "OMG, I'm going to lose, so I'm going to 'lag' now"? Because if Blizzard declares there to be a death that they will resurrect you from in HC mode, then you can be absolutely certain it will be abused. Probably even automated.

3. If losing your character to bad luck (and that is what an poorly-timed lag spike is) bothers you, then you probably don't want to do HC. Bad luck will happen - lag, disconnects when your power goes out during a storm, the cat jumping on your keyboard, uncontrollable sneezing during a the boss fight, etc.
Reply Quote
You will lose characters to lag. It sucks, but at least its fair. Happens to everybody. Count on it happening to you. Remember, death is a feature in HC. Severe lag is when I level my carebear characters.
Edited by Siegfried on 5/9/2012 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually like lag deaths, to a certain extent. The draw of HC for me is that the game world is not a friendly place. People die, and just like in real life, deaths are often unfair or random freak events.
Reply Quote
Lag is something you need to take into consideration before starting any fights and u have to play to the highest and best of your abilities thats what hardcores all about.

take everything into consideration... not just monsters
Reply Quote
Yeah I know people that won't play HC just because of this issue. Me I like starting out, getting that first decent weapon, the low lvl experience. So not a big deal to me, just get to go back to the most fun part heheh
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
People reached level 99 in D2 hardcore mode 10 years ago. We'll be just fine. Lag will claim some victims, but it won't be a majorly restricting factor.
Reply Quote
05/10/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Brassbull
People reached level 99 in D2 hardcore mode 10 years ago. We'll be just fine. Lag will claim some victims, but it won't be a majorly restricting factor.

People reached it only after LOD and uber item patches.
Before it we had only 1 97 lvl lance barb on whole East ladder. And he always was with necro friend, after necro friend death they both stopped playing.

Then people cried a lot, PK got nerfed, more cries followed and they brought all those super outfits.
But to be truthfull wast majority of deaths were due lag accidents or bnet crashes.. Bnet fixes played huge impact as well.
Edited by Aruth#1323 on 5/10/2012 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why should I lose my char over lag? Can't Blizzard do something about this? I was playing a hardcore character in beta, and I lost it just because I lagged, and there she was dead. :(

I mean, no matter how good you are, you will lag somewhere and die, and it would be lame to actually lose your char just because of that.

It's a policy of not resurecting dead HC chars, unless highly unusual/extreme conditions. It sucks, but such is the way of the hardcorer. Lag will kill some chars, inevitably. Anyway, I always keep a sc char in progression for when I'm playing in days with: Electrical Storms/Tropical Storms, so I can keep my HC chars safe =);
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
05/10/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Ravlaor
It's a policy of not resurecting dead HC chars, unless highly unusual/extreme conditions. It sucks, but such is the way of the hardcorer. Lag will kill some chars, inevitably. Anyway, I always keep a sc char in progression for when I'm playing in days with: Electrical Storms/Tropical Storms, so I can keep my HC chars safe =);

Just out of curiosity, have they said anything about what those conditions might be? For example, if B.net went down, would they see that as reason to revive characters?
Reply Quote
In all honesty, I wanted to play in hardcore mode, but there is something I don't understand.

Just think of it as dying of natural causes.

Your Wizard had an aneurysm after using Teleport 8 times in a row.

It used to kind of bother me, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I mainly enjoy a game's atmosphere so any excuse to start over is good with me.

The only thing that kinda worries me is constant server dropouts on release, because I won't really get to play since I'm doing day one HC.

Plus it ensures that even people who hoard the best items and play on lower difficulties lose their items and there's no "item inflation" to speak of in HC.
Reply Quote
I really don't understand why this, the issue of lag in hardcore, is still such an active topic. It is no longer the year 2000 and (though I am sure a few still are) you aren't stuck on a dial-up that also serves as the only phone line for your house, leading to the very real possibility of both lag and disconnects. It's 2012, and as much as folks loooooooooove to knock on their providers for their horrible connections and frequent disconnects, I think it's all a bit overstated and certainly nothing like it was back in the heyday of D2.

But absolutely, if that is something that would get under your skin, then perhaps HC is not right for you. I can all but assure that the majority of you who worry about stuff like this will end up with far more characters dead to other reasons that are seemingly out of your control than you do to lag and disconnects.

05/10/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Mogderni
Just out of curiosity, have they said anything about what those conditions might be?
I was more under the impression that there would be no reason under the sun to get a rez on a dead HC. Doing that for any reason would pretty much mean that they would have to start looking at everything case-by-case.

Hacker got your account and murdered all of your characters? Should have had an authenticator.
Forgot to pay the power bill and died during the resulting cut-off? That's just unfortunate.
Cat clicked on your town portal while you were scooping it's litter box? Should have owned a dog.
Ronald Regan rose from the dead to hand deliver you a box of Swedish chocolate? Zombies aren't real(ly scary unless they can run fast.)
Reply Quote
There are still a lot of places/regions with no internet connection, some with bad internet connection, and a lot of people will struggle with that. I, for instance, live in Brasil, played the beta with an average ping of 300ms.. and had a few drop outs..

I want to play HC, like I did in D2 (after playing HC it is almost impossible to return to SC).. I understand the reasons they did this "online only" system and I kind of agree....

But It would suck to loose my beloved character due to a connection issue/lag/drop... etc.

I guess I'll have to deal with it.

cheers.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Warrior
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet and I'm a bit too weary right now to read the entire thread, but you guys realize that Blizzard has eliminated the lag problem in D3 right? There was an article about it.

Basically the client will queue all of it's packets to the sever, so a lot of things can be done client-side BUT they check for verification server-side. What happens during lag is you keep fighting as normal and doing your everyday thing and once your client reconnects with the server it'll send all of the packets that have been queued and the server will verify it to make sure you weren't cheating or whatever.

Before you say "oh so i can play offline..." there is a time limit. If you lose connection for more than some time (i think it was 15 seconds? 30?) the client will disconnect from the game.

The article: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/latency-no-longer-a-factor-in-d3-combat

This is why I am going to be playing on EU server with my EU gaming buddies even though I'm from the US.
Edited by Nakieon#1957 on 5/10/2012 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think it's a practical thing - how could Blizzard tell if you died from lag or if you just messed up or weren't paying attention? I think it would be impossible to tell. If they allowed revives in cased you lagged, then everyone who died in Hardcore would blame it on a lag death and pester them about getting revived. It's much cleaner the way it is now - if you die, you die no matter what the cause, so be careful.
Reply Quote

Just out of curiosity, have they said anything about what those conditions might be? For example, if B.net went down, would they see that as reason to revive characters?

I think one of the only times they did massive revivals was in early bnet DII when a guy hacked and killed a ton of HC chars.

There are still a lot of places/regions with no internet connection, some with bad internet connection, and a lot of people will struggle with that. I, for instance, live in Brasil, played the beta with an average ping of 300ms.. and had a few drop outs..

I want to play HC, like I did in D2 (after playing HC it is almost impossible to return to SC).. I understand the reasons they did this "online only" system and I kind of agree....

But It would suck to loose my beloved character due to a connection issue/lag/drop... etc.

I guess I'll have to deal with it.

cheers.

You know, I'm "brasileiro" as well =P. I never had any problems during beta. And it has been said that the final client will be much more stable then the beta one. And I love in a region where there's a ton of interference. Also connection issues/lag/drops are things of the game.
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 5/10/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet and I'm a bit too weary right now to read the entire thread, but you guys realize that Blizzard has eliminated the lag problem in D3 right? There was an article about it.

Basically the client will queue all of it's packets to the sever, so a lot of things can be done client-side BUT they check for verification server-side. What happens during lag is you keep fighting as normal and doing your everyday thing and once your client reconnects with the server it'll send all of the packets that have been queued and the server will verify it to make sure you weren't cheating or whatever.

Before you say "oh so i can play offline..." there is a time limit. If you lose connection for more than some time (i think it was 15 seconds? 30?) the client will disconnect from the game.

The article: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/latency-no-longer-a-factor-in-d3-combat

This is why I am going to be playing on EU server with my EU gaming buddies even though I'm from the US.

If it's done like this, then I see no reason not to play hardcore lol:p
Reply Quote
This is Hardcore!
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Valèria

If you're asking that question, don't bother playing hc.

In fact, maybe you should just not play Diablo at all and stick with WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]