Diablo® III

can i change skills without loosing effect?

63 Human Paladin
lets say i have wrath of the berseker mapped to 4. if i cast wotb can i go to the menu and put a shout in 4 after and cast it right away¿? or as long as the ability is active on the game i cant touch my skills?cause after u cast wotb or other skills u basically have 3 skills.
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
it wasnt a stupid question if thats what u r implying-...
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Death Knight
05/11/2012 05:20 AMPosted by Gagerey
it wasnt a stupid question if thats what u r implying-...

It was in some ways, it wasn't in others.

But to answer your original question, no. You can't switch out skills when they are on cooldown. Wrath of the Berserker has a 2min cooldown (or 90sec with a passive skill).

The nephalem buff at 60 would also make it unwise to switch such things out.

However, I am not absolutely sure that trading out a skill would cancel the respective buff. I'd be curious to find that out myself. I'd assume so but you never know till you try.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
There is a cooldown when you switch skills

I'm sure you could switch it but then you'd have to wait for the timer to be able to use the ability.
Reply Quote
There is a cooldown when you switch skills

I'm sure you could switch it but then you'd have to wait for the timer to be able to use the ability.

This. When you switch abilities. You basically make it so you cannot use ANY skills for a moment of time. This does not affect learning a new skill when a new slot becomes available. This is part of the system in place to discourage constant switching and also abuse of the skill system which is what your trying to do in your question. Your essentially asking if you can abuse the system and give yourself a free buff. Like the person above said as well. There will be the Nephalem buff that you lose after switching skill sets and slowly comes back after a length of time which is in place to discourage switching for various encounters. IE: Going full AoE for random mobs and then switching to full single target for bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/11/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Valdez
This. When you switch abilities. You basically make it so you cannot use ANY skills for a moment of time. This does not affect learning a new skill when a new slot becomes available. This is part of the system in place to discourage constant switching and also abuse of the skill system which is what your trying to do in your question. Your essentially asking if you can abuse the system and give yourself a free buff. Like the person above said as well. There will be the Nephalem buff that you lose after switching skill sets and slowly comes back after a length of time which is in place to discourage switching for various encounters. IE: Going full AoE for random mobs and then switching to full single target for bosses.

Ok are you thinking that people are wanting to do this to abuse the game by buffing themselves then switching to more offensive skills i mean that's kinda the point to the whole question. For example on a monk the mantras can last for seven min with the right passive skill so is it abuse for me to turn on my mantra then switch to a skill that i can actually use to fight. I don't think this should be considered abuse but just doing what we always could on d2 how many people had their skills like warcrys or summon allys on like F7 through F5 and then had offensive abilities for our active skill buttons. Or was I the only one who was smart enough to think of doing that i kinda don't think that so whats wrong with hoping for the same ability in this game.
Reply Quote
Of course it's smart to use every advantage available, but skill selection and use is a lot different than D2, so it's not exactly fair to say "I could do this in D2 so I should be able to in D3." Being limited to 6 skills is a very specific design choice, and bypassing it diminishes the purpose of having "builds" in this system. It can also be more beneficial to some classes than others, depending on how many buffs they have. Also, while you may have been able to use any skill at any time in D2, you didn't have a fully powered up version of every one at your fingertips at all times.

Early in the beta, when skills would swap out without cooldown, it would take away any buffs from skills you had unassigned. The only thing I know about that got around this was later in the beta; witch doctors could summon zombie dogs, and then switch the summon skill, but keep the dogs due to the Circle of Life passive, and then that passive could be switched out. Fairly certain this was fixed.
Edited by Zwoopboing#1114 on 5/11/2012 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]