Diablo® III

Will using disk skip the Updating Setup Files

So I have tried everything under the sun to get past the "Updating Setup Files" and I am about to give up. So I wanted to know if I purchase and install from the disks will I still have the issue of "Updating Setup Files"? Or will it skip this step?

Thanks,
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Azca,

No, it won't. When it's Updating Setup Files, it's downloading or updating some support files. They're likely to change occasionally, probably more so than patches occur, so the game checks when started to see if what you have is up to date and downloads updates if needed. They're not on the game DVD.

The disk install will be the same or very similar to the pre-load installer. So, yes, you will have to go through 'Updating Setup Files'. And you also have to go through it every time you start the launcher.

But Blizzard hasn't updated the setup to the version which will be available on launch day just yet, so, although it may very well behave the exact same way when the new version is available, we never know.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/11/2012 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well crap, I am in trouble then.

Azca,

No, it won't. When it's Updating Setup Files, it's downloading or updating some support files. They're likely to change occasionally, probably more so than patches occur, so the game checks when started to see if what you have is up to date and downloads updates if needed. They're not on the game DVD.

Reply Quote
So what do we do then just leave it on till it finishes???
Reply Quote
my bet is blizz has done this deliberately to delay everyone playing at the same time
and then when the updater works theyll come up with some lame excuse
Reply Quote
when sombody figuers it out can u please let me know< heres a tip: im haveing the same problem on my desk top computer but i stuck the disk in my laptop and it downloaded fine i can play it on laptop but it get hot fast what i got to do to get it to work on my desktop?????????????
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Yep, bought Collector's edition. got home install... updating setup files... for the past 8 hours... gets to a point and then just stops.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I know this happened to me on the Beta of MoP and a GM on the forums said to delete some folder/file in ur application data ...cant recall what it was tho ...its belowing to blizzard but it certinaly works, so either this GM didnt know or didnt tell u to try that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Yea this is very infuriating!!! I have done everything to get the game "SETUP FILES" to Work but none work for me. . . i believe the same as many do, they just don't want us all to play at the same time. . . i just spent $100 buck for a game i can't play, and when i have put in tickets to customer service i get post on Forum?? with no REAL answer, How come i could download all other content from other blizz games with no problem, but with this NEW way I can't very confusing. . . and its the same with MoP i subscribed for annual Pass for definite "Access" to beta and then i can even download. . sorry for ramble. and Blizz games are goo When I can Play Them!! thank you
Edited by Kimbo#1853 on 5/15/2012 3:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
...i went and looked it up for u guys, hopfully it helps (ignore the WoW beta stuff tho, should work nun the less)

Issue: Download the "World of Warcraft Beta Setup" from the website. Double click, says "Updating Launcher", window closes and the installer never shows up.

Workaround: After you run this, a process named "Agent.exe" stays for about 30 seconds. In the task manager, right click the Agent.exe and select "Open File Location". This should take you to c:\Program Data\Battle.net\. Delete the entire Battle.net folder (after ending the Agent.exe process). Launch again, and it should work

(let me know if it works)
Edited by James#1558 on 5/15/2012 3:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
no hasnt worked yet but it wont let me delete it though lets me skip it the logs and the agent but still same thang going on
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
well if u cant delete the agent then it means the agent.exe is running, gotta go close the launcher and/or go to the taskmanager (Ctrl + ALT + Delete) go to processes and end process Agent.exe
Edited by James#1558 on 5/15/2012 3:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
its get so close though it goes all the way to the end then says launchingh launcher and goes back to were it was
Reply Quote
I never had any issues using the digital download. It avoids alot of issues.

http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/b74d8527-9d46-cb5c-c232-125a62c76658/Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe

Just try it.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem, after the update during the installation process when i click on "agree" it says "could not install. invalid installation options. please try again" im like WTF, that's why I preordered this so i can play it right away. I hop Bliz gets its !@#$ together soon and answers my ticket.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try deleteing that !@#$ again but also deleting w/e has already been added to ur computer, such as the program file\diablo stuff and (altho not 100% if its even 1% importian) deleting ur temp. internet files (such as the installer ) (right clcik internet explorer - properties - under browing histroy click delete, and make sure temp. internet files is included) ...this is least the extent on what i did for the MoP client, and it worked.

after all that go back to ur battle.net account and try the download again.
i dont 100% remember if there was anything that was added to the program files that soon, cause i just hit uninstall .....or maybe i had just deleted the MoP setup, cause i saved it to my computer for some reason. .....ive so vag, wasnt expecting to recall all this lol.
Edited by James#1558 on 5/15/2012 4:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was stuck in the "Updating Setup Files" loop for about 2 hours. Read: http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/05/12/diablo-3-stuck-updating-setup-files-fix/

Setting the secondary logon to automatic is what worked for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]