Diablo® III

Timezones for the Auctionhouse

I think the AH traffic will hit in waves like overlapping bell curves, as the daystar moves across the earth and new regions of D3 players tumble out of bed and login.

I don't remember my method well, but 9am @ GMT+12 (NZ) seemed to be the best time to list (around 12-2pm USA ish, correct me if wrong), less competition from farmers in the USA region dumping their loot at 11-12pm before going to sleep, and our auctions will be waiting for them when they come home from work.

If there's a way to measure traffic on the auctionhouses over time, and compare it to # of listings, # of successful auctions, total gold spent on the auctionhouse per hour etc...that would be very nice.
I don't expect it though.

I think there should be a way to figure out a rough guide to auction traffic, based on player activity in other online games that include an AH, and the avg number of players that should be online, based on a timezone map.

The Goal (ideally):
A chart, or list of the times major traffic-waves passing through the Gold/RMAH, and later on maybe info on gold price fluctuation, and how it relates to the traffic-waves passing through.
Knowing a few basic times to search for bargains when a lot of players have probably dumped their night's loot, or listing in time to catch players starting fresh for the day.

I'm not experienced with reading a timezone map, if anyone here is comfortable with that stuff, or knows a good site that makes it easier, I'd appreciate your help :-)

This is meant to be casual, DIY info. Just has to be 'good enough'.
Edited by TheCulture#1554 on 5/12/2012 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think there will be different peaks for different things, too.
What I mean is, when people first log on, they might check the AH to see if there's a bit of gear on there that is awesome for them. After they've had a few hours playing and are just about to finish up, they might then start checking it for gold/mats, to level up their artisans.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Reply Quote
Obviously the first 3-6 months (maybe more?) will be unreliable at best. The gates would've just opened and the first eye of etlich will go for way more than it's worth. Put it simply, it'll be the wild west - a new fertile grazing land where every exploit will be attempted.

I think we have to wait until the game balancing changes and the community itself hums down to a routine before trying to look for patterns. Food for thought.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
05/12/2012 09:51 AMPosted by TheCulture
If there's a way to measure traffic on the auctionhouses over time, and compare it to # of listings, # of successful auctions, total gold spent on the auctionhouse per hour etc...that would be very nice.

Depends on if they want that data exposed and how the work on the website API is coming.

Haven't heard anything tho.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]