Diablo® III

To those who played Beta

I am curious how you felt pets did. I was leaning to this class as I have children, so pets would allow me to have some more survivability, if my attention needs to turn else where. I also like the fact most polls had them as the least picked class. I watched a few videos of the different classes clearing the BETA, and it seemed like the pets were quickly wiped out by Boss AOE. I wouldn't expect them to be able to tank an entire boss, but would hope for more survivability than what they showed. What was your experience overall with the pets? To me it looked like all other classes really out DPSed the Witch Doctor at least early game, and maybe this can explain why they have been not faring well in the polls I have read.
Reply Quote
Against normal enemies the zombie dogs were a very useful mini-tanks and fights were generally spaced out enough that you could resummon when they got low or killed. Against King Leoric, his big swings pretty much wiped them immediately making them pretty pointless except to soak a big attack like that every 60 seconds. Leoric's big attacks were pretty well telegraphed it wasn't necessary to have the dogs for that fight.

The Gargantuan seems to be a more tank-oriented minion and hopefully will survive longer than the dogs.

My intention with the WD is to not have a pet-focused build because their are other skills that provide better defense and better damage. If I take a pet skill, it will probably be the Gargantuan depending on how useful it is.
Reply Quote
they hardly did any damage, They are more of a distraction(tankish)
Reply Quote
Thorns can be helpful to those who think zombie dogs are useless.
Reply Quote
By the time your level 13 your dogs are getting more HP and armor from your gear, so thats where that is coming from.

Yeah though, totally useless in the Beta. I will never be impressed by a big pet that hits for 16 - 25% of my weapon damage to the CLOSEST monster rather than doing oh say 200% damage with a spell to any monster I want. Dog's did not do enough of ANYTHING EVER to be useful from what we've seen. WDs in the beta pretty much boiled down to Soul Harvest and Firebats. Some of the most efficient damage that was available to any character in the beta.
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Kritler
I am curious how you felt pets did. I was leaning to this class as I have children
I totally misinterpreted that one.

Myself i think the pets were a positive surprise, they had good survivability and well, sure not the best dps but I don't think they are ment to have either.

When the pups wake up, just let your pets handle the mobs while you click townportal.. and let that one cast while you rush to your kids rescue =)
Reply Quote
The difference with, and without, the Jungle Fortitude passive was pretty substantial. At level 9, I had to re-summon the dogs a few times during the skeleton king event. With the passive, they were able to handle his cleave just fine (I did need to give them a globe or two). As others posted, by the time you were level 13 and gearing up, they had an easier time because you were clearing the event quicker.

Long story short, for regular mobs there were largely fine without the buff, but the passive seemed pretty mandatory to me for them to have any level of survivability against the tougher mobs.
Reply Quote
In the real game I hope you aren't still in Act 1 at lvl 12
Reply Quote
They are great for semi-tanking and passive damage. Sure they won't kill the Skeleton King, but they sure as hell help with the right gear on regular mobs.
Reply Quote
Dogs are a defensive ability so their damage was nerfed to the ground. They seem sto scale very well with gear in the last few patches. They are great permanent wall of zombie dogs but yeah, they don't do much in boss fights. Their later AI worked well in hallwaysstc where the dogs would line up side by side and block hallways and doorways so you can just throw spiders.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 04:55 AMPosted by TheBiZzY

pretty sure everyone will be lvl 12 in act 1...
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Ushela

pretty sure everyone will be lvl 12 in act 1...

Yeah act 1 goes WELL Past the SK. That was like 1/3 of the content.
Reply Quote
Dogs were great. They'd run out ahead and make sure all aggro was on them while you sat back and danced enemies to death. That is the purpose of pets.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight
05/14/2012 12:54 AMPosted by Sixtynine
I am curious how you felt pets did. I was leaning to this class as I have children
I totally misinterpreted that one.

^
Reply Quote
Later on dogs will live vs boss mechanics though, or if you are just geared. So technicly - yes
Reply Quote
The dogs were fine, even at base level and abilities. Their only flaw really is that they're 100% uncontrollable, which will lead to some unwanted aggro and some real derp moments where they attack things that aren't vital, but otherwise with good gear, the later runes and skills, I can see them being viable. Though I almost want to say that they're designed with Sacrifice in mind, and that making a full on pet build has too high of an opportunity cost, because you have to dedicate so many ability/rune/skill slots just to make it work. I think it'll be way too one trick ponyish and gimmicky, but we'll see.
Reply Quote
Before they nerfed the dogs, I went from brand new WD through SK without losing a single dog. After the nerf, they died pretty regularly.

The SK will oneshot them when you're around his level at 13 they could survive a hit but his 3 hit cleave thing would still wipe them out.

Their damage was pretty bad, but they do their job of holding mobs still. Honestly, if I hadnt had them pre-nerf, I think they would be fine, but going from crazy badass dogs to mehh was pretty harsh. I would put them above necro skele's, but limited to 4 with skills instead of the whole army.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
yup my guess is most people will complete act 1 anywhere from 16 to 20 a lot like diablo II justtttttt conjecture though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
In my current opinion, the only reason to summon dogs, is to blow them up
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]