Diablo® III

PVP Build: Sustainable Dmg & Kiting

Hey everyone,

I've just started playing around with builds and would like to hear your input.
I came up with this pvp build to reflect my play style:

1) Spammable and reliable damage source
2) Sustainable slow/CC
3) Kiting
4) Some form of mobility

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acZeXU!WZb!cYaYZc

Active Skills

• Snake to the Face & Hungry Bats:
    -Main damage source will probably be alternating between Snake to the Face (chance of stun) and Hungry Bats.
    -I'll probably spam Hungry bats while Unbreakable Grasp is active and alternate between poison darts/hungry bats while waiting for Unbreakable Grasp so I conserve mana while kiting. This should also keep the poison DoT active while I use hungry bats. When the cooldown for Unbreakable Grasp ends I take a break from kiting and repeat my Hungry Bats spam.

Haunt:
    -Keep Haunt active at all times for constant DPS (slow rune as well).

Unbreakable Grasp:
    -Unbreakable Grasp will be my main snare and I will try to have it up every 8 seconds.
    -Grasp will also be used in conjunction with either Horrify or Spirit walk to get out of a hairy situations.

Spirit Walk:
    -Spirit walk would be used for heals/escape from CQC and snares.

Horrify:
    -Horrify would be used for getting out of things like ancient spear, etc. (movement speed rune)
  • Passive Skills

• Pierce the Veil: Self explanatory. My thoughts are to compensate for a lack of a "nuke" type of ability and rely on the long term compound damage of spammable attacks that have low mana cost.

Jungle Fortitude: I don't think I would feel comfortable going into PvP without this. I like mitigation buffs (was actually going to start with Barb but ended up loving WD when I tried it).

Spiritual Attunement: I figured this would compensate for Pierce the Veil. The 1% constant mana regeneration on top of the default mana regen would be nice too. It was either this or vision quest but I found it hard to give up Poison Darts, Hungry Bats, or Haunt.
  • Any feedback would be appreciated, let me know what you guys think!
    Edited by BOSSMODE#1279 on 5/14/2012 2:22 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    84 Tauren Druid
    Hello BOSSMODE,

This is one of the better run'n'gun builds I've seen for the Witch Doctor.

Two suggestions:
    Horrify [Frightening Aspect] vs [Stalker] for the double armor for 8 seconds. Depending on your armor and resistance values this can up to double your effective health! (Edit: Please note that Stalker is also a great choice for your build, and this was simply a suggestion)
    Firebats [Dire Bats] vs [Hungry Bats] as my current understanding is that Hungry Bats is single target (Edit: Bone Spirit from D2), while Dire Bats works like the Necromancer's bone spear in D2, travelling through all enemies in a line for a long distance.

Basic (TL;DR) Checklist:
    1. Do I have a short CD CC or escape that I can use often and in emergencies?

Spirit Walk AND Horrify, (GotD for Soft CC)
    2. Do I have a spell to use up excess mana?
    Firebats and Haunt (one for direct DPS, one for passive, a good combo)
    3. Do I have a spell to use if I run out of mana?
    Poison Dart with [Snake to the Face] which will aid in run and gun when you are OOM
    4. Do I have a spell to use when most of my abilities are on CD?
    Firebats + Poison dart (Haunt has a cap on affected enemies)
    5. Do I have AoE damage? (Important especially for Solo play)
    Firebats with [Direbats] would be AoE, Haunt can affect up to 4 targets, GotD to a small degree
    6. Do I have single target damage? (Important for Boss killing)
    Haunt, Firebats and Poison Dart are all good for this
    7. Do I have a way to regain HP/Mana?
    HP: Spirit Walk [Healing Journey] for health regen, and JF will reduce overall damage
    Mana: Spiritual Attunement gives solid mana regen
    8. Do my passives maximize my strategy? (Survival, CC, DPS, Pets, etc..)
    Pierce for more damage, Attunement for more spamming, and Fortitude for more survival. Fits well in a run'n'gun.
    9. Do I have an effective way to keep enemies from hurting me? (Pets or CC)
    Horrify, Spirit Walk, GotD (all on short CDS), and Poison Dart [Snake to the Face] with Haunt [Grasping Spirit] for some ability procced CC.

Overall great build, keep up the good work.

Other build advice and insights here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4927183159
    Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/14/2012 9:07 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Hey Mookle, thanks for your input!

Your suggestions are great and I would probably use them interchangeably with my original build, depending on what I need (armor vs. mobility for horrify). The armor buff sounds really good right now actually! We'll have to see just how squishy WD's are going to be in the endgame in relation to the other classes :)

I loved Dire Bats in beta, but I feel like it might be a little too dodgeable especially against ranged classes. So I'd probably use it for PVE, but in PVP when single target damage has more importance I think Hungry Bats might be a clear winner considering it "Rapidly Summons" and they "seek out nearby enemies". If I feel like the range of Dire Bats is more beneficial than attack speed/homing then I would probably use it instead.

By the way, your comprehensive guide is AWESOME, I've definitely bookmarked it for my reference. Thanks for putting the effort into it!

Hope you're as excited as I am for this game to come out!
    Reply Quote
    I obviously didnt get a chance to play with hungry bats in the beta but from what i saw of firebats it was too much of a mana sink to be helpful, it destroys your mana pool not leaving any for CC's. That along with your haunt will hurt your survivability.
    Reply Quote
    84 Tauren Druid
    Hey Mookle, thanks for your input!

Your suggestions are great and I would probably use them interchangeably with my original build, depending on what I need (armor vs. mobility for horrify). The armor buff sounds really good right now actually! We'll have to see just how squishy WD's are going to be in the endgame in relation to the other classes :)

I loved Dire Bats in beta, but I feel like it might be a little too dodgeable especially against ranged classes. So I'd probably use it for PVE, but in PVP when single target damage has more importance I think Hungry Bats might be a clear winner considering it "Rapidly Summons" and they "seek out nearby enemies". If I feel like the range of Dire Bats is more beneficial than attack speed/homing then I would probably use it instead.

By the way, your comprehensive guide is AWESOME, I've definitely bookmarked it for my reference. Thanks for putting the effort into it!

Hope you're as excited as I am for this game to come out!

Doh! I think I missed the point of it being PVP!

In that case, you're probably better off with [Hungry Bats], unless, like the D2 Necro's Bone Spirit, [Hungry Bats] travels slow compared to players. In that case [Dire Bats], or maybe even another spell would be better. For a very sustainable option, Spirit Barrage with [Phlebotomize] or [The Spirit is Willing] might be nice, and since it is a lob spell, you could take out those pesky DH, Wizards and WDs hiding behind the Monks and Barbarians!
    Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/14/2012 2:31 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Is PvP going to be in the game at a later point?
    Reply Quote
    84 Tauren Druid
    05/14/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Anathema
    Is PvP going to be in the game at a later point?

Yes, it will be released in a patch.

One of the Blizzard employees, I believe Jay Wilson stated that they intend to have it done as soon before the end of the year as possible. So we will likely see it within 6 months.
    Reply Quote
    The question with that build is will you have a reasonable amount of mana to work with, for the amount of time you are going to be alive. Obviously snake to the face will be useful to cast but if you are stuck at low mana for the majority of your up-time, then the build will be lacking. Especially with pierce the veil I feel like you will run out of mana relatively quickly.

I'm trying to work on two PvP builds. One very similar to yours that is sort of a generalist, can kite, cc, damage etc. And one that is specialized for survival and disruption of the enemy team.

It would look something like this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SZWeXU!ZcX!ZaZaZc

I would be plenty busy trying to keep two dots up on each person, grasping as often as possible and throwing in toad/horrify/spiritwalk whenever I get close to an enemy or start getting attacked.

Main Pros would be excellent survivability and sustainability and great support (20% dmg reduction with poison on enemies and constant GoTD, horrify, toading people).

Cons would obviously be very limited damage dealing and no direct damage. But with the new style of PvP implemented, where the winner is the team with the highest total # of kills, meaning your teammates constantly revive, you would not ever be left alone to try and kill someone for long.

I think this would be a good support build for a damage heavy team, like wizard + barb/monk or something like that. Thoughts?
    Edited by Anomie#1706 on 5/14/2012 9:19 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    A somewhat mixed version of the two would look like this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cZWeXU!ZWX!YaZcZc

Where I would have hungry bats and pierce the veil instead of swarm + poison dmg reduction.

This would allow for some strong nuking, but mana might be too much of an issue.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]