Diablo® III

No steam overlay in Diablo 3?

(Locked)

I've just finished installing Diablo 3, when I launch the game through steam though (I've tried both the Diablo 3 exe and the launcher), I can't use the steam overlay. Anybody know of a workaround?
That's what i'm trying to figure out. Worked fine for me in the beta.
85 Worgen Priest
It's been an issue since a bit into the beta. Hopefully we can find a work around for the time being, I'm poking and prodding it.
It works for me.
It didn't work for me in beta either.
85 Worgen Priest
05/14/2012 11:01 AMPosted by PhaserRave
It works for me.

Care to give a little bit of information? Which EXE are you pointing to? Which video card and driver revision are you using? Any weird monitor setups? Steam or Diablo III set to "Administrator Privileges"?
Edited by Freyar#1765 on 5/14/2012 11:03 AM PDT
Who needs steam overlay when you can set D3 to borderless windowed mode?

Borderless windowed mode = entire system overlay.
You just have to point Steam to DiabloIII.exe. Steam worked fine in beta for me, it was even smart enough to launch the Diablo launcher program instead of bypassing it directly into the game, so I could run patches and the like.
the reason why Steam overlay doesn't work (I guess it works for some people according to the comments ...), is because when you launch Diablo3.exe it launched the update "agent.exe" and Steam overlay tries to bind itself to that. I tried looking for a work around in the beta aswell, but the only solution would be to bypass the agent.exe which is needed to check for updates and launch the game itself soooooooooo not sure if it can work
EDIT: unless someone can point me to the right directions, I did try everything and nothing worked, so I give up =/
Edited by KLARC#1722 on 5/14/2012 11:06 AM PDT
05/14/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Eralius
It works for me.

Care to give a little bit of information? Which EXE are you pointing to? Which video card and driver revision are you using? Any weird monitor setups? Steam or Diablo III set to "Administrator Privileges"?

Diablo III Launcher.exe, GeForce GTX 560, driver 295.73, and nope.
05/14/2012 11:05 AMPosted by KLARC
the reason why Steam overlay doesn't work, is because when you launch Diablo3.exe it launched the update "agent.exe" and Steam overlay tries to bind itself to that. I tried looking for a work around in the beta aswell, but the only solution would be to bypass the agent.exe which is needed to check for updates and launch the game itself soooooooooo not sure if it can work

That's strange because it worked for me, but not others, apparently.
85 Worgen Priest
Got it.

Clearly, your directories will be different.
Target: "C:\Games\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch
Start In: "C:\Games\Diablo III\"
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why is it working for me then?
works for me, zero issues.
85 Worgen Priest
Not sure if you'll be able to patch using -launch (if we're lucky it'll check, THEN invoke the updater/launcher), otherwise just run the launcher separate before playing. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it later tonight.
the overlay did not work for me but then i did the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch and manuly exited agent.exe in task manger and now it works ^^
86 Human Rogue
05/14/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Sedaz
the overlay did not work for me but then i did the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch and manuly exited agent.exe in task manger and now it works ^^

confirmed this method. I tried all combinations of binding diabloIII.exe, diabloIII launcher.exe, diabloIII.exe - launcher, etc, none of that worked. But when I did the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch shortcut, and quit agent.exe in my task manager, steam overlay suddenly works now. I even exited and relaunched the game several times, and even though agent.exe also launches itself and I haven't shut it down like I did the first time, steam seems to understand where to put the overlay now
Yeah mine worked in beta and all I did was tie it to the launcher.
05/14/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Sedaz

Do you quit agent.exe while in blizzard launcher, or when you are ingame?

I still can't get it to work =/

EDIT: nvm, you have to edit the target via Steam library properties, not via shortcut properties....
Edited by KLARC#1722 on 5/14/2012 8:58 PM PDT
Got it.

Clearly, your directories will be different.
Target: "C:\Games\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch
Start In: "C:\Games\Diablo III\"

This has also worked for me.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]