Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Difficulty Explained?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been looking around for an explanation of how the difficulties are going to work with Diablo 3 but I have yet to find a clear explanation. What I am trying to find out is once Diablo goes live and we make a character will it be like the beta? Will we have to level that one character up to level 10 (or whatever the limit will be on live) and then have to create a new character to progress to a higher level?

I was watching the explanation of advances from the diablo panel and it said that with the higher difficulties that each one would increase the maximum level. So from what will we see a cap on normal then a cap on hardcore and so on? Or will we be able to change the difficulty of each character at any given time?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply Quote
The level 10 requirement is only if you wish to play Hardcore mode.
Your first character will have to be a Softcore. Once it reaches level 10, HC will be unlocked for your account.

To be clear, though, HC itself is not a difficulty, it is a game mode. The primary difference between it and SC is that in HC, you only have one life. When your character dies, you may no longer use it.

Max level, as far as I am aware, is only limited by the overall cap in the game, which is 60. Obviously you will level faster by completing equal level content, rather than stuff considerably lower than you, but I don't think you will ever not get EXP from old content. If you do, it will be old enough that you will have been encouraged into progressing long, long ago.

As it stands, playing the game through Normal should get you to around level 30. Once you complete normal, you unlock Nightmare, which should take you to around level 50. With NM beaten, you unlock Hell to get you to 60. One you have completed Hell, Inferno unlocks for an end-game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the quick answer, I understand now :D
Edited by Arsan#1668 on 5/14/2012 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The first character you ever make will start in Normal difficulty. When you beat the game, you have the option to, using the same character, play through the entire game again in Nightmare difficulty, which provides a greater challenge. When you beat NM with that character, you can continue to use it in Hell which is more difficult still. Repeat for Inferno.

Any new characters you create will start the game again in Normal and have to progress through NM, Hell and Inferno individually.

Hardcore is a game mode, not a difficulty. When a HC character dies, you can no longer play it.
Softcore, which is what your first character will be, and any character created without the HC flag, can die as often as you would like and still be playable.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Hardcore does raise the stakes, so I guess it's a game mode AND a difficulty. When you add "Don't die, EVER" to the list of rules, it does gain some difficulty.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the heads up on the level ranges for each difficulty. I've been limiting my information as much as possible about Diablo 3 to experience it first hand myself. I was curious about when to progress to the next setting though. Obviously, they aren't set in stone. I hope to play it safe with gear and pad a few levels before advancing. :)
Edited by Brishan#1483 on 5/14/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You can jump to the next difficulty whenever you feel like it really (provided, of course, that you've "beaten" the current difficulty). Some people jump into the new difficulty right away, some farm the current difficulty for additional xp and items, etc. If it's anything like D2, moving up to a new difficulty can be challenging if you're not ready for it.
Reply Quote
ok this was helpful but am i right in thinking that each difficulty has the same content?
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 01:44 PMPosted by ANGELUS
ok this was helpful but am i right in thinking that each difficulty has the same content?

Yes.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
The first character you ever make will start in Normal difficulty. When you beat the game, you have the option to, using the same character, play through the entire game again in Nightmare difficulty, which provides a greater challenge. When you beat NM with that character, you can continue to use it in Hell which is more difficult still. Repeat for Inferno.

Any new characters you create will start the game again in Normal and have to progress through NM, Hell and Inferno individually.

Hardcore is a game mode, not a difficulty. When a HC character dies, you can no longer play it.
Softcore, which is what your first character will be, and any character created without the HC flag, can die as often as you would like and still be playable.

THANK YOU
Reply Quote
If you die in hardcore mode, do you get to start again from the beginning of Act I, or do you have to create a new character?
Reply Quote
You start all over again with a new character. You lose everything the dead character was using and holding in his inventory.

You keep your stash and crafting LVL's
Reply Quote
OK, my big question is what happens after you beat the game on Hardcore?Do you get to unlock a nightmare difficulty after you beat Hardcore mode? And then Hell? Inferno? Or is Hardcore mode just one play through?
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 08:01 PMPosted by Dellago
OK, my big question is what happens after you beat the game on Hardcore?Do you get to unlock a nightmare difficulty after you beat Hardcore mode? And then Hell? Inferno? Or is Hardcore mode just one play through?

Hardcore/Softcore and Normal/Nightmare/Hell/Inferno are two completely separate concepts.

"Hardcore" and "Softcore" are character types. Regardless of character type, the progression through Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno is identical.

A Hardcore character is simply a character that (a) can no longer be played if it dies once, and (b) only shares cash, stash, and artisans with other Hardcore characters on your account, not Softcore characters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]