100 Human Paladin
Report for sticky

Here are some fixes for being stuck at/looping on "Updating System Files"

Fix #1

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down and find “Secondary Logon”

Right Click > Properties

Change it from ‘Disabled’ to ‘Automatic’

Run your Diablo 3 setup as administrator and it should quickly go through Updating Setup Files and bring you to an install screen.

Fix #2

Right click on the Diablo 3 setup file you downloaded via the Blizzard Downloader

Select Properties > Compatibility > Check Run this in Compatibility Mode for… > Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) (Note: Does not work on Vista.)

Right Click the Icon, Run as Administrator.

Fix #3

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder.

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net Cache folder.

Run the Downloader again, as administrator, and see if it gets past the “Updating Setup Files” window. If not, see Fix #1.

Alternate location: C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data
Application Data is a a hidden file so you'll need to click tools > folder options > view tab and check show hidden files and folders.

If still nothing search your computer for agent.exe and DELETE IT (if it's in a battle.net folder only)
Edited by Ziros22#1484 on 5/14/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dosent work for me, had already tried those
Reply Quote
None of these fixes worked. This is incredible frustrating.
Reply Quote
None of those work.
Reply Quote
this worked thank you so much omgz.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/14/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Mizarus
Dosent work for me, had already tried those

The last one worked for you I think, right? I will update where the battle.net folder might be. TY for info.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/14/2012 09:51 AMPosted by evilthecat13
None of these fixes worked. This is incredible frustrating.

05/14/2012 09:53 AMPosted by daisedenid
None of those work.

Try the last part of #3 again. agent.exe might be in a weird location for you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I would like to refer all of you to this fix, maybe it will work for you, because it worked for at least 10-20 other people that had this similar problem. The thread is now buried because of the ridiculous amounts of posts this forum is getting. (Read Between the lines - the game is full of installer glitches.)

Here's what worked:

Legitpwnage said:

I've uploaded my working Battle.net files to see if it may help anyone. Feel free to test and let me know.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21699449/D3+-+Battle.net+Files.zip

Place them inside: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net

Agent
Client
Setup

I would also recommend deleting your battle.net folder from your programdata folder FIRST, uncheck any compatibility modes that you previously enabled SECOND, paste the folder from the .rar THIRD, reboot FOURTH, and LASTLY run your d3 setup by pressing SHIFT-RIGHT Click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR". You should instantly (in about 10 seconds) jump from updating setup files to the "Install" launcher. Good luck!
Edited by JeftahX#1754 on 5/14/2012 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Thank you =)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I would like to refer all of you to this fix, maybe it will work for you, because it worked for at least 10-20 other people that had this similar problem. The thread is now buried because of the ridiculous amounts of posts this forum is getting. (Read Between the lines - the game is full of installer glitches.)

Here's what worked:

Legitpwnage said:

I've uploaded my working Battle.net files to see if it may help anyone. Feel free to test and let me know.

Agent
Client
Setup

I would also recommend deleting your battle.net folder from your programdata folder FIRST, uncheck any compatibility modes that you previously enabled SECOND, paste the folder from the .rar THIRD, reboot FOURTH, and LASTLY run your d3 setup by pressing SHIFT-RIGHT Click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR". You should instantly (in about 10 seconds) jump from updating setup files to the "Install" launcher. Good luck!

I downloaded this and replaced it with my battle.net folder, WORKED FOR STUCK AT UPDATING SYSTEM FILES ISSUE! Thanks alot =)
Reply Quote
As was mentioned by a blue name here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903420607#8
Reply Quote

Here's what worked:

Legitpwnage said:

Agent
Client
Setup

This!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
i did all 3 didnt work , deleted beta and it worked
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I tried all this stuff and it didn't work. Sadly what worked to get past the d3 updating stuff was to disable my windows defender completely. Don't know if it'll help anyone else though!
Reply Quote
Fix #1 worked for me. Running Vista 64.
Reply Quote
Fix #2 worked for windows 7.

thank you!
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
I could kiss you on the lips! Fix 1 worked for me!
Reply Quote
None of these have worked for me except bypassing the update by taking update from another computer... :( Then once it's fully downloaded Agent fails and is stuck on "Uploading" after pressing "Play"
Reply Quote
21 Orc Shaman
I finally got to the installer after dealing with this loop for hours to quickly press install. I had to cancel the install because I don't want to install to the default directory. So now I'm back to the loop =(
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
None of these methods has worked for me. I've had two tickets get responded to and they weren't helpful at all it just sent me back to the website.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]