Diablo® III

The folder you have selected cannot be used.

85 Blood Elf Priest
Trying to pre-download the client, when select the directory for the download, I change the directory from my C:/ drive to my A:/ drive, where I have all of my games installed, and I get the error, "The folder you have selected cannot be used. Please select another folder." I know this is not an issue with not enough space, because the default directory doesn't have enough space, and I have more than twice the space needed on the drive I want to install it on. It seems any folder I try to use on that drive gets the same error.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Variseraphim, Diablo III won't install to an A: drive. If you have any other drives or partitions, or even other computers, I would install there, and then copy the Diablo III folder to your A: drive afterwards.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
That makes no sense. Why would it not install to a perfectly good drive? By your logic, I would have to go out and buy another hard drive (as I do not have another free hard drive use), jump through hoops just to get the game, then return the drive I had just purchased. This is the first time I've heard of any game having this problem. All games I have downloaded previously have not had this setting.

This is extremely disappointing, and this will be the last time I work with Blizzard on anything. Contracted to pay for a full year of World of Warcraft to get a free copy of Diablo III only to find a hidden stipulation to getting the game.
Reply Quote
Try this for Win 7:
Click on the Start Menu
Right click on "Computer" and navigate to "Manage"
Once the manage computer window pops up, click on "Disk Management" on the left menu.
Right click your "A:" drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

Change the drive to anything else (C: preferably), then install D3, then change back to A: using the same process.
Reply Quote
Just change the drive letter back to C or whatever you have free.
Yes, it's surprising to see a drive letter blocked, especially since nobody really uses floppies anymore, but A: and B: are historically used for that purpose. Why risk running into conflicts and use those letters in the first place?
Reply Quote
16 Tauren Druid
"A:" is/used to be the default for floppy drive, seems like a simple programming oversight, jsut install anywhere else and move it afterwards, it will work with no problem as suggested.
Also, there is no stipulation for getting the game, its a software error that can be worked around easily. If you insist on not playing the game just because of this i'd suggest to reconsider as it is a very close minded choice (no offence meant)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
It seems like an oversight that Blizzard was the only ones to miss. I've never had this problem installing any other game. Thanks to insect I was able to work around this "oversight" without going to extremes.

Also, it's not this little issue that's made me decide to not work with Blizzard anymore, it's a lot that's made me dislike the quality of services provided by Blizzard.

But, that's neither here nor there. Problem is solved. Thank you insect, your suggestion was best.
Reply Quote
16 Night Elf Hunter
Workaround: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926624058?page=1#8 as I don't like changing drive letters especially when the system drive is in question.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]