Diablo® III

New Processor - which and how?

100 Draenei Priest
Hello,

I'm trying to install the game but it says my 'CPU' is under the min requirements.

Mine is: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640

Minimum is: Pentium D 2.8GHz or AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+

So, I need to upgrade this, everything else is fine. Thing is, I'm totally retarded when it come to this stuff - I have no idea how to tell which one to buy, whether it's above the minimum, whether it's compatible with my old-!@# PC (I read something about motherboards not being able to handle all types of CPUs or something), and then I also have no idea how actually to put the thing inside the machine if/when I get a new one.

I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford to go to a PC expert and I can't afford to 'be safe' and buy a really expensive one that'll be way over the min reqs, so what I'm looking for is:

A) A recommendation on what to buy so that I get one that works in my PC and is above the min reqs.

B) A step-by-step, or a link to a step-by-step, set of instructions for a complete idiot detailing exactly what to do to put the new chip thing into the machine (assume you're giving instructions to a 90 year old woman with learning difficulties - those're the instructions I need).

If I need to post up information on my machine then I can do - just tell me what you need and how I can access it and I can post it up.

All help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
At a minimum, you would need to buy a new motherboard and CPU. There is no CPU that meets the minimum requirements that is compatible with your current system. If your technical knowledge is really low, you would probably be better off buying an entirely new computer.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Oh, bummer. I'm assuming changing out a motherboard and the CPU is pretty difficult, huh?

I guess I'll look at new computers and see what's available. I'll make a new thread asking advice on that, if you could look out for it to help me there.

Thanks for the help so far.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i have the same problem, im saving for a new motherboard. the one were using wont support dual core processers and no single core matches the socket slot/is high enough
Reply Quote
Oh, bummer. I'm assuming changing out a motherboard and the CPU is pretty difficult, huh?

I guess I'll look at new computers and see what's available. I'll make a new thread asking advice on that, if you could look out for it to help me there.

Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, for someone who does not have experience. Replacing the motherboard and CPU (and RAM as well, as new motherboards require different RAM) would require you to almost completely rebuild the PC.

The cost will not be marginal, you will likely spend at least half of a new system on just the CPU and motherboard.

If you do get a new system, make sure your video card is also compatible with Diablo 3. Avoid integrated chip video cards, as even a budget video card is far superior.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]