Diablo® III

The folder you selected cannot be used.

I am attempting to install Diablo 3 on a secondary ssd that windows does not run on. I create a folder called Diablo 3 within that drive, and select it and it gives me the following error:

http://i.imgur.com/D8Atb.jpg

I was in the beta, but I completely uninstalled the beta, as well as the Battle.net folder within Local/AppData.

I have 23 GBs of available space on the SSD I am trying to install on.

Any ideas?
Reply Quote
Fix: Change your drive letter name to X. This is a issue with other blizzard games. Do some research and you will find that was the fix for those games as well.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Kold,

You don't need to change it to X specifically, it just can't be A or B as those are typically reserved for floppy drives.

Yup 2012.. glad blizzard still thinks we all have floppy drives...

Diablo 3 Collectors Edition.. now available on 5851 floppies!
Reply Quote
*checks the year*

Yup 2012.. glad blizzard still thinks we all have floppy drives...

Diablo 3 Collectors Edition.. now available on 5851 floppies!

BoZ --

Omrakos is doing you a favor by mentioning that. While many applications will permit you to rename drive letters to A or B now, there are many that still will not permit it BECAUSE those drive letters have been traditionally reserved for floppy drives. And even if something tells you that it is okay with you renaming something to the A or B drive, that program may still break due to other programming restrictions in place.

It would be irresponsible of Omrakos to tell Kold that he can rename his drive to A or B, and then have Kold break some of his other programs that he may be using.

While this is not the full explanation, this is the little bit that I can remember. Please can the sarcasm and show a little more respect to our support personnel. Barring that, do a little research on the matter before you open your mouth.
Reply Quote
Changing a drive letter from A:\ to X:\ (or anything) will potentially break any installed application on it.

A better solution:
start -> run -> diskmgmt.msc
Right click on A:\ and choose change Drive letter or Path
Click Add..
Choose Mount in the Following empty NTFS folder.
Choose the folder C:\Gaming (or whatever you want to call it, just make sure its new)
Finish and Close disk management
Install to C:\gaming\diablo III\

You'll also notice that it can still be found on A:\diablo III\

I've been using A: and B: for HDDs since vista launched, and have yet run into a single issue using them (save D3). The fact the blizzard is using code that can't handle it is ridic.

I agree customer support gave the correct answer, and the comment was directed at the programers.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
That is HIGHLY unfortunate that you can't use B:, as B: is my Games hard drive..... Why the completely unnecessary constraint?..
Reply Quote
16 Night Elf Hunter
Scrysis, not sure why you are scolding Boz (he is a bit sarcastic I know) but it is laughable to reserve A and B. All of my games go on the partition with drive letter A. I've had this setup for years now. You want to know what's really funny? I have Diablo 2 + LOD installed on A:\Diablo 2. Oh look a game from 2000 is installed to a drive with "reserved letters" and its sequel which came out in 2012 has an issue.

For crying out loud.

I tried symbolic links and that failed. Windows 7 doesn't seem to support hardlinks across partitions. I honestly did not expect this from Blizzard. Maybe Obsidian. Maybe even Bioware. Not Blizzard.

Edit: I have a solution.

Here's the workaround:

0. Ensure Diablo III isn't installed
1. Create the directory where you want to install Diablo 3 (E.g., A:\Diablo III)
2. Click on Start-> type in cmd and right click cmd and choose "Run as administrator"
3. Now goto C:\ProgramFiles(X86) and run the following command:

mklink /j "Diablo III" "A:\Diablo III" (the second parameter is whatever directory you created in step 1)
4. Run the Diablo III installer and proceed with defaults
5. You are welcome.

The screenshot will make the above steps clearer: http://i.imgur.com/wjaul.jpg

You can see that the installer actually installing the game to my A:\
Edited by Puma#1913 on 5/14/2012 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you BoZ! Your solution worked for me like a charm!
Reply Quote
Fleetfoot's solution didn't work for me. Never been a magician with cmd anyway, but I didn't get the lists he did when typing in goto C:\ProgramFiles(X86). I also had the installed downloaded to A:. Oh well.
Reply Quote
I don't see why this step should even need to be taken. This is 2012.. Why would you put this constraint on people blizzard? I have played hundreds of games without issue on my PC, but you have inconvenienced me, your consumer, needlessly. Most companies understand things like this.. Being a developer that's platform is PC, I would have expected you to have known this. Its very frustrating. Please learn from this mistake and FIX IT so others don't have to deal with this crap!
Reply Quote
@FleetFoot
For me, I had to make a folder, Blizzard, and make that a symlink instead of doing just "Diablo III" as the link and then install to "Blizzard\Diablo III". The installer is doing some crazy rewriting and it fails otherwise.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I just want to send a shout to thank you for the help on the install. I was also having an issue with my drives and this worked great :)
Reply Quote
The worst thing about this is the fact that the installer doesn't tell you what the problem is.

It just exclaims that the folder can't be used.

It took me a couple of minutes to see what the issue was. But I immediately thought it was stupid.

My secondary hard-drive is named B: for no particular reason and I have installed plenty of games and programs on it and all of them have worked fine until now.

I thank Omrakos for confirming what the issue was, but this problem shouldn't have to exist.
Reply Quote
Thank you BoZ.

This was a pretty retarded problem.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Kold,

You don't need to change it to X specifically, it just can't be A or B as those are typically reserved for floppy drives.

Hes right ( FACE PALM ) thanks for the post...
Reply Quote
Thanks Boz,
I have a 2 hdd's windows on SSD and everything else on A HDD and this worked perfect!
Reply Quote
I'll just throw it out there that I am trying to install on a Mapped Network Drive. Any ideas?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]