Diablo® III

Question about Collector's Edition

I bought an iMac last year with the following hardware and software:

27-inch, Mid 2011

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50d)

I immediately installed my copy of Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition with no problem. But when I installed Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War from the portable drive, it fails to open the program and brings up the following message:

"You can't open the application Starcraft (Carbon) because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

So my question is are these versions on the portable drives exclusive to PCs?

I only had the old discs to Starcraft and Starcraft Brood War and those worked fine for my other MacPro but now the computer, and the discs have become too old and damaged.

If Diablo III Collector's Edition flash drive's copy of Diablo II and Diablo II's expansion will be compatible with my new iMac, then I will purchase the Collector's Edition without hesitation. Diablo II was a great game but I refuse to pay a $20 dollars for a 15 year old game when I can pay less to get digital copies along with the other features of the Collector's Edition. Besides, I've been playing Diablo II for those past 15 years and have gone through many copies and really would not like to have to purchase another.

Are the digital copies of Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction that come with the flash drive in the Collector's Edition, compatible with Mac Operating Systems?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/playing-older-blizzard-titles-on-mac-os-x-10-7-lion

=D

Bootcamp perhaps?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
110 Draenei Mage
05/12/2012 08:49 PMPosted by WhitePaws
"You can't open the application Starcraft (Carbon) because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

That would be because those would of been Power PC versions that Lion can not and will not open.

05/12/2012 08:49 PMPosted by WhitePaws
Are the digital copies of Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction that come with the flash drive in the Collector's Edition, compatible with Mac Operating Systems?

They should be.

Just not OS X 10.7 Lion.

That's the distinction you must make here. From the article above :

We will continue to offer support for these titles running on Mac OS X 10.6 and below.

There are other options if you want to run the Power PC versions of those programs.

You can install Snow Leopard into a virtual machine partition using Parallels or VM Ware fusion. Or Boot Camp. VM Ware fusion can start up your Boot Camp install if you want to save on disc space.
Edited by bluspacecow#1174 on 5/13/2012 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How unfortunate. When I got this computer, it had OS X Snow Leopard but OS X Lion came out a month later and was able to get it as a free upgrade.

My iMac already has issues with lag with Starcraft 2 so I don't wish to go through loops in order to play the older games. Lag might be an issue with Diablo III as well, considering the outstanding gameplay graphics.

My decision of whether or not to purchase the Collector's Edition is still undecided. It will probably be decided when I walk into the store to buy a copy.

Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]