Diablo® III

Comparing a Wizard to a Witch Doctor

NOTE: Haunt and Locust swarm is not included below. I actually think these two damage abilities are some of the strengths of the WD and the wizard does not have comparable abilities (i.e. no DoTs), but wanted to try to come up with two similar builds to compare the two classes, hence I chose abilities that were similar.

WD Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUQiX!WXh!aZcbcY

Wizard Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#adXgkO!Yfb!cZaZac

Active
1) Dart vs. Missile, Dart does more damage, but needs to be precisely aimed, call this one a tie
2) Wave of Force > Grasp of the Dead - GotD can be cast at range but does significantly less damage
3) Spirit Walk vs. Diamond Skin (same cooldown but better rune for SW, DS lasts longer though) - tie
4) Slow Time > BBV mostly due to cooldown, BBV does have a larger radius and has a nice mana runeskill but due to CD have to go with ST
5) Meteor > Acid Cloud, the one downside to Meteor I think is spell cost in comparison to AP/Mana pools, straight damage wise it is no contest
6a) Energy Armor > Horrify - WD lacks any active armor spells, but has better passives
6b) Soul Harvest (not shown) > Familiar (much larger damage boost, also provides great resistances)

Passive
1) Pierce the Veil > Glass Cannon (although comes at a hefty cost)
2) Blood Ritual vs. Galvanizing Ward -- calling this one a tie, tough to compare directly
3) Evocation > Tribal Rites (mostly due to the limited effect Tribal Rites has on spells, only 3)

Score:
5-2-3 in favor of the Wizard

Yes...I know Witch Doctor is a pet class, mostly putting this out there for people considering playing WD w/o any pets. I think you would be happier just rolling Wizard.
Edited by DyerMaker#1587 on 5/13/2012 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ok sounds cool and all but in ur opinion which class is better eye candy!? hahahah thats what I'm looking for sadly.
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 08:37 PMPosted by StrikinCrazy
ok sounds cool and all but in ur opinion which class is better eye candy!? hahahah thats what I'm looking for sadly.

Wizard = skittles
Witch Doctor = M&M

pick your palette
Reply Quote
It's not really comparable. You specifically restricted both classes to skills AND runes that share some similar functions so you can perform the comparison in the first place. It's a contrived effort.

Just play the character that you want to play mate.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
You can make both and share equipment. It's all going to be good.
Reply Quote
It's not really comparable. You specifically restricted both classes to skills AND runes that share some similar functions so you can perform the comparison in the first place. It's a contrived effort.

I specifically took a strong Wizard build and tried to emulate it with a Witch Doctor. The WD version failed, plain and simple.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

I specifically took a strong Wizard build and tried to emulate it with a Witch Doctor. The WD version failed, plain and simple.

Ok, now make a strong WD, and try to emulate it with the Wiz.
Phail theory-craft is phail theory-craft.
Reply Quote

Give me a (pet-less) build...
Edited by DyerMaker#1587 on 5/14/2012 5:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Wait, you can't make a Summon Wizard? So, a pet WD would be stronger than a Pet Wiz?
You made a build capitalizing on the Wizards strengths, then told us that Wizards are better than WD's.
I'm saying, make a build capitalizing on the WD strengths (cc, control, not to mention, near Wiz level AoE with bats and fog, if runed right), and see how Wizards stack up.

You clearly think Wiz's are better, and that's fine, play a Wiz. I won't hold it against you. But your logic as to why you think Wiz's are better, is flawed.
Reply Quote
Yeah, sorry to pile on mate, but your analysis is leaky. I'm not sure which class I'm going to play yet, (actually leaning toward Wizard) but you created a contrived build based on having skills that most closely mirror wizard skills, and then pronounced them lacking. My favorite was when you called horrify worse than energy armor.... because it wasn't armor. That's a real apples-to-apples comparison there.
Reply Quote
The reason I'm truthfully picking Wd is because, for some reason, all the ppl that play wizards have a terrible attitude same with DH....seems ppl that play monks/wds are a little free going and wiz/dh think there superior, yet they don't look at the wd's cc,pets,dots ect...anyone else notice that? Not trying to be rude...but it honestly feels that way. With that being said, wiz will be my 4th class, and all still enjoy it.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Xar
Yeah, sorry to pile on mate, but your analysis is leaky. I'm not sure which class I'm going to play yet, (actually leaning toward Wizard) but you created a contrived build based on having skills that most closely mirror wizard skills, and then pronounced them lacking. My favorite was when you called horrify worse than energy armor.... because it wasn't armor. That's a real apples-to-apples comparison there.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926753679#6
Reply Quote

Wait, you can't make a Summon Wizard? So, a pet WD would be stronger than a Pet Wiz?
You made a build capitalizing on the Wizards strengths, then told us that Wizards are better than WD's.
I'm saying, make a build capitalizing on the WD strengths (cc, control, not to mention, near Wiz level AoE with bats and fog, if runed right), and see how Wizards stack up.

You clearly think Wiz's are better, and that's fine, play a Wiz. I won't hold it against you. But your logic as to why you think Wiz's are better, is flawed.

Still waiting for your build...
The reason I am not making a WD build is because what ever abilities I choose you will pick it apart as not being a good WD build.

Also you don't seem to understand what a pet-less WD is. IMO a pet-less WD is any build that does not use zombie dogs or Gargantuan. The only two abilities that summon a pet that have a health bar in the UI.
Edited by DyerMaker#1587 on 5/14/2012 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

I'm not going to make one. YOU'RE the theory-crafter. YOU make one.
I personally don't have the time or inclination to make a side by side comparison build with WD and Wiz, noting similarities, etc, like you (didn't really, but tried to make it seem like you) did.
I recognize that they are different classes, and that the type of comparisons YOU are trying to make, are fruitless. Neither is stronger, or better, they are too different to be drawn in black and white.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Vixen

us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926753679#6

And your idea of "emulating" energy armor was horrify? And then you judged horrify (a hard CC) as being worse than armor... because it wasn't armor. That strikes me as a totally fair evaluation. How about this one: a beach ball is better than a tank because a tank isn't spherical. Totally legit.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Reply Quote

I personally don't have the time or inclination to make a side by side comparison build with WD and Wiz, noting similarities, etc, like you (didn't really, but tried to make it seem like you) did.
I recognize that they are different classes, and that the type of comparisons YOU are trying to make, are fruitless. Neither is stronger, or better, they are too different to be drawn in black and white.

LMFAO

You are the one complaining about my comparison and are dictating that I do a reverse comparison which I am happy to do so long as you give me a starting build. You claim you don't have time to make a build which takes 1 minute yet you seem content spending plenty of time bashing my thread, that wreaks of hypocrisy.
Edited by DyerMaker#1587 on 5/14/2012 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote

us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926753679#6

And your idea of "emulating" energy armor was horrify? And then you judged horrify (a hard CC) as being worse than armor... because it wasn't armor. That strikes me as a totally fair evaluation. How about this one: a beach ball is better than a tank because a tank isn't spherical. Totally legit.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein

The lack of active ability DR for the WD is worrisome. Horrify runed with Frightening Aspect is the closest we got. 65% armor increase coupled with 40% increase in resistances that can be up all of the time is significant and my point was a WD has nothing in comparison. WD has pets but even pets are not going to reduce damage from a ranged source (10% life link from z-dogs is the only active ability dr available).

Soul Harvest is the closest ability to this since the gain in intelligence also increases resistances, however it is not up all of the time, and if you carefully read my first post I gave WD's 1 point for Soul Harvest > Familiar for the same "6" slot in the build. So your whining about my making Energy Armor > Horrify is unfounded.
Edited by DyerMaker#1587 on 5/14/2012 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

LMFAO

You are the one complaining about my comparison and are dictating that I do a reverse comparison which I am happy to do so long as you give me a starting build. You claim you don't have time to make a build which takes 1 minute yet you seem content spending plenty of time bashing my thread, that wreaks of hypocrisy.

I don't think you understand what the word "hypocrisy" means. there is nothing in any of my responses, or my general attitude that is hypocritical.

You say that it takes a minute to make a WD build, yet you also refuse to do it YOURSELF, while berating ME for not doing it for you. THAT is hypocritical. Look the word up.

I'm done with you.

All bad feeling and flaming aside, peace out, and enjoy your Wizard, sincerely, I mean that genuinely, no sarcasm or animosity.
Reply Quote
Vixen, your intention is to do... what? Hope that someone sway your opinion to a better of 2 options? It seems like your mind is set on wizard, so play wizard. Your bias reflects in your comparison of skills.

I can't say that you have made a favourable WD build, so I doubt that your Wizard build is much better (not that I have deeply analyzed it). However, of the two class builds, I would have to argue that the WD build is better.

05/13/2012 08:31 PMPosted by Vixen
1) Dart vs. Missile, Dart does more damage, but needs to be precisely aimed, call this one a tie

I believe dart is the clear winner. You make aiming sound difficult. Splinters rune > any runed missle. Your aiming generally at a pack, or one large enemy, so in either of those cases dart wins.

2) Wave of Force > Grasp of the Dead - GotD can be cast at range but does significantly less damage
3) Spirit Walk vs. Diamond Skin (same cooldown but better rune for SW, DS lasts longer though) - tie

Yes, I would have to say WoF is favourable at the time being, but when your reach higher difficulties I would have to guess that GotD is better because it allows you to stay back. I don't think the intent of the WoF is to sprint in with it, but to use when your overwhelmed. Tie?!!?1
Spirit Walk (atleast in my bias opinion) is superior to Diamond Skin (plus, isn't teleport more comparative, in which spirit walk wins). Once all the damage DS can absorb is gone, your still stuck in an even more overwhelming situation because those enemies may have just chewed through your only major defense.

BBV vs Slow Time.... wtf? But hey, I'll bite. BBV wins because it is a large group buff and slow time may only provide unnessary debuff to monsters/boss which can just be avoided by the group.

Meteor probably does beat Acid Cloud. Energy Shield vs Horrify... again, wtf? The passive choices seem poor for what I am assuming is PvM.

Here is a build you can try to compare http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeXdfU!VZX!aa.Zcc
Reply Quote
My point Vixen, the other reindeer won't want to let you play their reindeer games if you force your opinions on them. You come with quite a bold statement, which is fine, but you then retaliate against opposing ideas, which is not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]