Diablo® III

Just to clarify (DarkD3?)

http://darkd3.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/Angryrobotics/statuses/201726183740686336

So according to that twitter feed, we WILL be allowed to use DarkD3 if we desire a different shade of dark? I just want to be absolutely sure so I don't get banned for something like that... it would be an awesome addition to my gameplay though.
Reply Quote
We'll all get a big "you are banned" screen when servers go live. It'll be a pretty funny day.
Reply Quote
It is against the TOS, so it is bannable.
If they will, is something else.
Like jaywalking/crossing the street if you don't have the signal. You can get a ticket for that.
Will the police give you one?
Reply Quote
But the twitter post specifically says "TOS against mods is so we can ban cheaters. I agree DarkD3 is not a cheat...yet. As long as it is not a cheat, no ban is likely."
Reply Quote
Pretty sure they wouldn't just turn around and ban you for it after stating "darkd3 is not a cheat so a ban is unlikely" That would be a good way to piss off a bunch of customers and lose future profit. I'm going to use darkd3, and won't care too much if I get banned because I'd rather not be playing candyland online through a fishbowl.
Reply Quote
What Jay means is that you probably won't get banned if you use it, unless they determine that it is a genuine threat to the safety of the game.
Reply Quote
It doesn't mod the game. It uses directx features just like your display drivers do. Don't worry about it.
Reply Quote
what the hell is it its stupid as hell lol. i dont see the point in using it
Reply Quote
Mainly that DarkD3 is a screen overlay much like Steam's Overlay UI and Fraps overlay, its NOT A MOD. it does not modify anything in the game. It is an OVERLAY.

kind of like if you take a drawing on a piece of notebook paper and then put a piece of wax paper over it. did you change the drawing? no. did you change how you see the drawing? yes.
Reply Quote
Yeah if it's just a pixel shader it would be hard as !@#$ to find out if someone's running it. Just editing fragment values.

You're most likely safe.
Reply Quote
stupid mod that makes game look like crap is stupid either way
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/14/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Fearpoint
It doesn't mod the game. It uses directx features just like your display drivers do. Don't worry about it.

That is terrible reasoning, many hacks use DirectX to function.

Educate yourself: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167781/Indepth_Extravagant_cheating_via_Direct_X.php

In case reading is too hard, here's a video of a bot playing SC2 using DX interception: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZT2ukipkc&feature=player_embedded#!

That's not to say that using this will get people in trouble, it will depend on how it's used and develops in the future. The real question is whether it's worth the risk or not.

EDIT:
05/14/2012 02:53 PMPosted by McLeige
kind of like if you take a drawing on a piece of notebook paper and then put a piece of wax paper over it. did you change the drawing? no. did you change how you see the drawing? yes.

It's not really the same thing at all. There isn't a 'real world' equivalent. It's also not just a basic overlay like Steam or FRAPS.
Edited by DalekSec#1573 on 5/14/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Xavon
But the twitter post specifically says "TOS against mods is so we can ban cheaters. I agree DarkD3 is not a cheat...yet. As long as it is not a cheat, no ban is likely."

The key word in that quote is "likely". Improbable =/= impossible.
Edited by ProTactX#1736 on 5/14/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.. I agree, I don't think that they'll ban people after announcing they wouldn't.

You can test out the shaders on the menu screen while you wait for launch! I didn't think it'd make a big difference, but the "Stronger" setting makes everything so much clearer and looks just... better.
Reply Quote
They did not announce that there would not be bans. They said it would be UNLIKELY for people to receive bans AS LONG as the program remains a non-cheat software.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Xavon
So according to that twitter feed, we WILL be allowed to use DarkD3 if we desire a different shade of dark? I just want to be absolutely sure so I don't get banned for something like that... it would be an awesome addition to my gameplay though.

theres no way for blizzard to tell that you are running darkd3, it doesnt change or alter any of the game files or memory used to run d3. Darkd3 is basically just a filter like the ones u put on on then end of a camera.

why use darkd3 anyways, the brightness bothers you that much???? Personally i could play d3 with stick figures along as it has a sweet gameplay experience and feels fluid.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/14/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Infamous
theres no way for blizzard to tell that you are running darkd3,

Unless DarkD3 obfuscates itself intentionally to hide, Blizzard can tell you're running it the same way Warden always has, but checking your running processes for the DarkD3 process...
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Infamous
theres no way for blizzard to tell that you are running darkd3

Sure there is.

1. Check the Diablo III game directory for unofficial files
2. Compare the d3d9.dll in use to one officially from Microsft
Reply Quote

theres no way for blizzard to tell that you are running darkd3, it doesnt change or alter any of the game files or memory used to run d3. Darkd3 is basically just a filter like the ones u put on on then end of a camera.

why use darkd3 anyways, the brightness bothers you that much???? Personally i could play d3 with stick figures along as it has a sweet gameplay experience and feels fluid.

You would be surprised about the things that blizzard has programmed warden to spy on.
And most people want darkd3 to remove much of the blurryness that D3 gives. Check their website, turn "sharpness on/off" you'll see the difference pretty fast. And yes, that screenshot is the actual difference, not fake.
Edited by ChimpFace#1650 on 5/14/2012 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Chris Watson ‏ @Cwatz
@Angryrobotics The games out in a few days. Realllllly need to know if we can use darkd3 without getting banned.
Details
Reply Retweet Favorite

Jay Wilson
‏ @Angryrobotics
Follow
@Cwatz using programs that alter graphics is against TOS and can get you banned.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]