Diablo® III

Failed to run required program (Agent)

I couldn't find any posts with a similar issue so I created this. I understand that your unable to install, but I wanted to make sure the update thing worked at least.

When I run Diablo 3's setup after download it does the whole "Checking for updates" and it gets about halfway across when an error "Failed to run a required program (agent)" appears with the error code "BLZPTS00007"
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Tausken,

Start with deleting the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder and restarting the installer. That will force it to reacquire the setup files which may be all it needs.

I gave deleting the folder and restarting the installer a go, but I am still receiving the error message.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Do that ↑ first.

If that doesn't help, and during "Checking for updates" you see multiple Agent.exe processes appearing in the tasks list, it means work offline mode is enabled on Internet Explorer.
Reply Quote
Thank you Barthus that worked.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Strangely enough, I've never seen anyone reporting this before and it's been quite some time since I ran the launcher with 'Work offline' mode enabled to see if the agent was able to take IE out of 'Work offline' mode or not.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Barthus,

I just tested it too and it doesn't. It just stays at the beginning of Updating Setup Files, and eventually multiple Agent.exes are started. You had it right on..

I think the Setup starts the Agent, then tries to query it to see if it's running but gets no response. It then starts a new Agent process, the same happens, and it keeps trying for a while before returning the error.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
same problem here delete the Battle.net folder like 20-30 times and try again dont work restart the pc not work.
disable fire wall not work.
disable antivirus not work.
have 1mb bandwith, on pandaren it work in like 7 days of trys.
Very bad installer and update i have see on all MMORPG and rol games
and the Agent installer comes from Blizzard? that right?
Tera, Lingae, rift, Aion perfect good installers
poor Blizzard
Edited by DarkwarOnlin#1755 on 5/12/2012 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm having this same problem and I don't understand how to fix it still.

I don't have the c:programdata battlenet folder only a electronic arts folder from sims 3.
because I had to manually download all the parts and put them in a folder because the blizzard downloader wouldn't work for me.
Edited by AwakenedOne on 5/13/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Take your IE out of Work offline mode:
  • Open Internet Explorer, Press Alt + F and uncheck Work offline.

-
While at it (Still on IE), click on Tools > Internet options > Connections tab > and select Never dial a connection.

After changing that option to never dial a connection, click on LAN Settings and uncheck every single check box there.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/14/2012 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
i think its bs that i even have to do all this bull!@#$ to download this game......... %^-* downloader
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I did everything and it didnt work till I did what Barthus posted above them me and a friend got right in. Thank you sure done raging after 3 days!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I am having this problem, Internet Explorer and Firefox are not checked under work off-line...
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I had this with the beta client, so I shrugged and figured it'd be fixed for launch

I digitally downloaded the game, deleted battle.net folder and all d3 related files 100 times rebooting, changing IE options, running as administrator, even reinstalled .net framework 4 and I still get failed to run a required program (Agent) every single time. I can't even dbl click agent.exe and I've never seen agent.exe running in my task manager while trying to endlessly install the client-installer.exe.

Guess i'm not allowed to play?

edit: if i buy the DVD game will it install or will I still get this ridiculous error and be unable to play?

edit2: I read somewhere that you can run agent.exe yourself before running the patcher, but for me (windows 7) I can't dbl click it, right click run as administrator, or do anything to get agent.exe running in my task manager. It's like agent doesn't exist and my computer doesn't feel like running it.
Edited by Coraz#1148 on 5/14/2012 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tausken,

Start with deleting the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder and restarting the installer. That will force it to reacquire the setup files which may be all it needs.

is there any final fix for that issue, i have tried everything this forum sugested
Reply Quote
Yeah ive done everything this forum has suggested as well, and no avail.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I had this with the beta client, so I shrugged and figured it'd be fixed for launch

I digitally downloaded the game, deleted battle.net folder and all d3 related files 100 times rebooting, changing IE options, running as administrator, even reinstalled .net framework 4 and I still get failed to run a required program (Agent) every single time. I can't even dbl click agent.exe and I've never seen agent.exe running in my task manager while trying to endlessly install the client-installer.exe.

Guess i'm not allowed to play?

edit: if i buy the DVD game will it install or will I still get this ridiculous error and be unable to play?

edit2: I read somewhere that you can run agent.exe yourself before running the patcher, but for me (windows 7) I can't dbl click it, right click run as administrator, or do anything to get agent.exe running in my task manager. It's like agent doesn't exist and my computer doesn't feel like running it.

Same exact problem... Was same problem when I tried DLing MoP beta 2 months ago and just gave up. Now it's T-12 hours and it's still an issue... Ugh
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Before you get the error, did you check if multiple Agent.exe processes were being started or you see no agent.exe processes at all?
Reply Quote
Mine is running
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]