Diablo® III

Failed to run required program (Agent)

90 Human Warrior
Forgot to note I dont have a Battlenet folder and when I run task only 1 Agent.exe is showing up. I am not in offline mode nor are any of my lan boxes clicked
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem as corazx. I install the game, and so long as I'm installing, everything works fine; I can even start the game and it brings me to the login screen. As soon as I close the game or installer, however, subsequent attempts to start begin with "Checking for Updates" and then give me the error message: "Failed to run a required program (Agent).", etc.

I've deleted the battle.net folder in C:\ProgramData. I've restarted my computer. I've made sure internet explorer's settings were as Barthus recommended they be. I've even reinstalled the entire game after redownloading the installer. And I'm still having the same problem. It's extremely aggravating. Furthermore, when the launcher replaces the data in battle.net, it does not add agent 954, only 524 (at least, by the folder name).

My OS is Vista 64, running on an intel duo processor.
Reply Quote
Update: I followed my standard unsolved bug protocol of "do random things with folders you know you can just delete later" and inside C:\Programdata\Battle.net\ was an agent.exe. I double-clicked it, allowed it to run, and it created the file 'agent.dat'. I then navigated to C:\Programdata\Battle.net\Agent.524 and double-clicked the agent.exe therein, allowed it to run, and at some point during this process the folder C:\Programdata\Battle.net\Agent.954 was created.

I also turned on, then back off, my firewall during this process (I tend to turn firewalls off during installation of programs I trust because they so frequently interfere with the installation process) to see if it had any effect. It did not.

I then tried running Diablo III again and it worked! I hit 'play', got to the login screen, and in the interest of scientific inquiry shut everything down again. I then tried running it a final time and it worked again.

Again in the interest of scientific inquiry, I attempted to replicate whatever I'd done. I deleted my battle.net folder, re-ran the launcher, received the same agent.exe error as before, then navigated to the same agent.exe I had run previously. It again created agent.dat, whereupon I went once again to the second agent.exe in folder agent.524 and ran it. This created the agent.954 folder again. I then ran the launcher again and received the same result - a functional game. (though it does take a little while to patch the data in again.)

At which point I became curious as to whether clicking the agent.exe in agent.524 was all that was necessary to make this all work, and restarted the entire process, skipping my attempt to run the agent.exe in C:\Battle.net and immediately attempting the one in C:\Battle.net\Agent.524. This created the agent.954 folder, and I attempted to run the game one last time.

It didn't work. It gave me the agent.exe error again. So I tried the first agent.exe (the one in C:\Battle.net) but not the second one (the one in C:\Battle.net\Agent.524).

That got the updater further than it previously had gone (90% instead of 33%, approximately), but near the end of its update it showed the same error. So I once again ran the second agent.exe, and the game then launched successfully.

I know very little about the workings of Blizzard's launcher or agent.exe, so I can't provide any useful analysis here, but I'm hoping something in this long and random set of events helps people figure out what's going on.

Other (possibly) pertinent information:
My graphics card is a Radeon HD 4850. Because of this and an incompatibility with the catalyst 12.4 drivers, I received an error upon initial install that told me my video card was incompatible with Diablo III. The workaround (pressing esc at the error) worked, but I figured I'd rather get rid of the error, so I updated my graphics drivers to 12.4a. Only at that point did this whole rigmarole about agent.exe begin.

Edit: To clarify, these are the steps I took to solve the problem, but these steps must be taken every time the program is run - they are, essentially, a temporary solution.
Addendum: Thanks to Ideomotion's below post, there is now a fix for even this: Just run the executable as administrator.

1) Delete C:\Programdata\Battle.net
2) Run diablo III's launcher, wait for the patch to fail due to the agent.exe error
3) Run C:\Programdata\Battle.net\Agent\agent.exe
4) Run C:\Programdata\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.524\agent.exe
5) Run diablo III's launcher, wait for the patch to complete (~3 minutes or so)
6) Run the game.
Edited by Anoiktos#1622 on 5/14/2012 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
That's interesting. The agent.dat file contains the port used by any component when querying the Agent.exe (http://127.0.0.1:PORT/stuff) Maybe the Setup/Launcher was not receiving any response from the Agent simply because *they* didn't know which port to use.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/14/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I managed to make the game update using some of the suggestions in this thread. However, any future launch of the game causes this agent error. However, if you right click on the Diablo III shortcut and click Run as Administrator, the error goes away for me permanently. Wonder if that will help anyone else.
Reply Quote
Interesting, Ideomotion. Setting the executables (Diablo III Launcher.exe and Diablo III.exe) to run as administrator does solve the recurring problem for me. Silly vista and its "You're not actually an administrator" administrator accounts. Thanks.
Reply Quote
I opened the Agent folder and manually started it and then opened the game, it update a lil' more then stopped, then I tried opening agent.524 folder and ran that one. the game finished updating and i can open it again, i'll never close it now @_@
Reply Quote
Well, thanks to Ideomotion's input, we even have a way to keep the problem from recurring should you accidentally close it (after all, keeping a portal to the burning hells open indefinitely is not necessarily good for your health): Just set it to run as administrator. (either by right clicking -> run as administrator or by right clicking -> properties -> compatibility -> check 'run as administrator)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Barthus, you are the man. IE was in Offline mode after all! PLEASE STICKY BARTHUS =).
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Also having a similar issue. I cannot get Agent.exe to launch. I looked in /programdata/battle.net and I do not see a agent.DAT file, or an Agent954 subfolder.

I only have an Agent524 folder with an Agent.exe (338kb) and the errorreporter
-NOTE: The file size of this Agent.exe is much smaller than my brother's, who installed successfully, his is 6166kb

I also do not have an Agent954 folder, whereas he does

In task manager, I do not see an Agent.exe running no matter what I do (right click run as admin, click on it, etc etc)

Any help is appreciated
Reply Quote
Hey,
I tried everything u said for 5 hours, nevertheless its still not finishing the update.

Maybe someone who has installed it successfully can upload his agent file, maybe this helps.
I hope i can finally play tomorrow, i even bought CE at midnight...
Edited by wave#2356 on 5/14/2012 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
STM70,

Hey all,

Also having a similar issue. I cannot get Agent.exe to launch. I looked in /programdata/battle.net and I do not see a agent.DAT file, or an Agent954 subfolder.

-NOTE: The file size of this Agent.exe is much smaller than my brother's, who installed successfully, his is 6166kb

In task manager, I do not see an Agent.exe running no matter what I do (right click run as admin, click on it, etc etc)

Any help is appreciated

As I posted above, (this is Havok) I had the exact same issue. These are the steps I took to fix it:

0) Set Diablo III.exe and Diablo III Launcher.exe (in your diablo install folder) to 'run as administrator'. (Right click->properties->compatibility->checkbox)
1) Delete C:\Programdata\Battle.net (the entire folder!)
2) Run diablo III's launcher, wait for the patch to fail due to the agent.exe error
6) Run the game.
Edited by Anoiktos#1622 on 5/14/2012 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Anyone have advice for a linux user on how to get passed the agent error dugring setup?
Reply Quote
STM70,

Hey all,

Any help is appreciated

As I posted above, (this is Havok) I had the exact same issue. These are the steps I took to fix it:

0) Set Diablo III.exe and Diablo III Launcher.exe (in your diablo install folder) to 'run as administrator'. (Right click->properties->compatibility->checkbox)
6) Run the game.

Hey there,

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, I can't even get to step 0, as this error occurs before I even reach the installation process.

I purchased a digital copy, downloaded the online installer (~40 mbs), and begin to run it, here's what happens:

-If i've deleted my Battle.net folder, it creates a new one, and moves into the 'setup' phase, and freezes at about 40%. After a minute it sits there and gives me the Agent error

-If I didn't delete the Battle.net folder, and I run the installer, it just sits at 'checking for updates'.

In neither instance does the Agent.exe ever launch in my task manager.

Unfortunately i'm not even at a point where I have a DIII.exe file to edit as you describe in step 1.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight

6) Run the game.

I get to step 3 but instead of opening a program, double clicking on agent .exe opens the battle.net homepage in firefox o.0 waiting to see if it updates now, don't have high hopes =(
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
my agent.exe still wont work =.=
cannot even start installing atm. please help
Reply Quote
Do other forums (European, Asian, Australian...) report the same error???

I'm like many... Agent.954/Agent.exe crashes because of fatal exception...
I'm like many, I have bought the game digitally 2 days ago, downloaded the 30mb installer
I'm like many, I have tried all the stuff done here, none works...

I'm like many, I'm quite disappointed... 10 years we are waiting for D3... how many workers have planned to take a day off tomorrow (legally or not :) )... and now we can't even install the game...
Reply Quote
STM, sounds like you're using the predownloaded installer (DIABLO-III-8370-ENUS-INSTALLER-DOWNLOADER or somesuch), and your agent.exe is malfunctioning before you even get it fully installed. I'd try two things, though I have not experienced your particular issue, so I've no idea if they will work:

1) Set the installer and/or agent.exe properties->compatibility to a) run as administrator and b) Windows XP Service Pack II Compatibility Mode.
2) (and this one sucks, because you'll have to redownload the client as I'm doing right now, but on the plus side you can start trying to play halfway through, albeit at reduced graphics) download the non-predownloaded installer from your account page (this should be the approximate URL: http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/b74d8527-9d46-cb5c-c232-125a62c76658/Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe), do the steps listed in 1) above to it, and then try to install it.

Nikushimi, I don't know why clicking agent.exe opens up the battle.net homepage. That makes very little sense in general unless your computer has somehow completely overridden IE protocols (and even then, not really, because my experience with agent.exe is that they function in some variant of DOS)

I'd recommend step 2 that I listed for STM above; not an optimal solution but if it works, better than nothing. If you can list your symptoms more thoroughly I might be able to make a better guess as to what's going on.
Edited by Anoiktos#1622 on 5/14/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am trying to install it off disk, its not working, still getting all the same errors, Its been almost 2 hours since launch, not even cool.
If I cannot get it to work soon, anyway I can get my money back? This is lame sauce :c
Reply Quote
still wont work
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]