Diablo® III

Reaper of Health Globes Build

87 Gnome Death Knight
This is a build I've come up with that is primarily for group play, though also able to solo a bit in Inferno. Curious to get some opinions on it. This class would (hopefully) synergize well with other players who have the health-globe passives. It does lack a movement ability so that is a cause for concern. This build is mostly built for a 1-handed mighty weapon and a shield.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZiVkP!aYV!ZcbZac

Bash (Onslaught)
This gives 3 hits even on a single target. Decent damage for a fury generator. The 3 hits give more fury Weapons Master and more chances to trigger Swords to Ploughshares effect. I chose bash over cleave because this would do well even against a single target and provide some consistency.

Hammer of Ancients (Birthright)
Despite focusing on health globes this was not an ability I felt I needed to have. But after looking through all the fury spenders I wanted something that I could spam when needed and I would get some sort of function out of. The damage is good, it has increased crit rate, and a higher chance at health globes. It costs low enough fury that about every 2 bashes will allow me to use it (and then some). It hits a small area AoE but... it is still an AoE. Makes a good compliment to Bash.

Battle Rage (Swords to Ploughshares)
One of the primary healing mechanics for the build. I am not quite sure how well it will stack up in the long run. The only way will be able to test it out. My idea of it is that it will give me decent healing against groups of enemies when buffered by Revenge's healing and will give very good healing when I am only fighting a single target as well. The increased crit and damage is always useful as well, especially the crit to trigger Swords to Ploughshares and Birthright.

Revenge (Best Served Cold)
Used for increased damage and healing when there are mobs of enemies around but also to gain increased hit to trigger Swords to Ploughshares and Birthright. More crit means more chances for health globes. Ideally this would be triggered at least once every 12 second.

War Cry (Hardened Wrath)
More armor to make every point of health count for more. Also to help those in my party to survive a bit longer.

Wrath of the Berserker (Thrive on Chaos)
When I was coming up with the idea for this build I had no intention of having this skill be a part of it. It can hopefully stand on its own without it. However the increased attack speed, crit, and movement are all things this build can use. The dodge is also useful even though it will make Revenge proc less. But as long as revenge procs about every 12 seconds that is fine. Theoretically this buff would be able to keep up purely from the fury generated from Bash and Weapons Master using a Mighty weapon as long as there was at least one enemy to beat on. The attack speed and movement of the buff would help keep that doing. The increased attack rate and crit also help create more health globes. If I took one ability out of this build it would be this one (followed by Weapons Master) and replaced with one of the movement abilities. In which case I would likely chose Ruthless or Nerves of Steel to replace Weapons Master.

Pound of Flesh
More health globes, whether it effects Birthright and Swords to Ploughshares or not. The most important part of it is doubling the healing of all health globes.

Weapons Master
Primarily to fuel Thrive on Chaos but also to create a lot of fury to spend on Hammer of the Ancients.

Tough as Nails
To make each point of health count for more. Could be replaced by Nerves of Steel if it gives a better overall bonus to armor.

So there it is. The idea behind it all is for the barbarian to wade in and keep on the enemies at all times. Perhaps with a str/vit heavy build. He doesn't need to dish obscene amounts of damage but he still does dish out a decent amount. He receives health back not from deaths but the orbs, and with his high armor and health he is able to survive where others might not. His focus on health orbs instead of abilities that give a % of health back for each target lets him maintain his health even against single targets. His AoE attacks (Revenge and Hammer of the Ancients) give him even more health orbs against multiple enemies... in addition to Revenge's heal.

This would let him solo fairly effectively though I won't know how well till Inferno but it would also be very useful to his groups as any nearby party members would also be getting healed, and even getting additional resources depending on their passives.

So... thoughts?
Edited by Gulnaga#1872 on 5/12/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Seems like a cool concept to me. Do Hammer of the Ancients (Birthright) and Battle Rage (Swords to Plowshares) only cause monsters to drop health globes upon death or do you think they would proc with a crit that wasn't fatal?
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Death Knight
From the way I've read the abilities it seems to cause them to drop health globes on the crit, not on death. Which is why it would be good even vs single target enemies. I wasn't able to confirm this in the beta however.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Death Knight
Really wish I had more information on how much health globes heal and what decides it. I've read that it is percent based but that was from quite awhile back.

I noticed in the affixes that you could get flat amounts added to them. So I am hoping that means that it will be a % + a set bonus amount.

Figuring going for str+vit items for a good balance with block and damage reducing affixes.

If I dropped Wrath of the Berserker I would likely replace it with the 300% armor Leap. And for Weapons Master I'd likely toss for Nerves of Steel.

The intention of the build isn't to mow through enemies quickly but instead at a respectable pace while maintaining heavy survivability.
Reply Quote
While I like where you are going here, thrive on chaos isn't likely to remain active for a very long period of time with this build. Using a mighty weapon will provide 9 per hit. With a mighty weapon I wouldn't expect a greater attack speed than 2 per second. Generating 18 rage per second will provide you with another 11 seconds, then another 7 and so on. You could potentially tack on an additional 25 to 30 seconds at the cost of ignoring your fury spender.

However there is some speculation that thrive on chaos only counts fury that actually fills up your fury bar, and any fury earned passed your max will not count towards this rune effect. If that is the case you could change wrath of berserker to something else, or you could switch the rune to slaughter, making all of your crits provide additional opportunities for health orbs.
Edited by CdrRogdan#1818 on 5/12/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Death Knight
While I like where you are going here, thrive on chaos isn't likely to remain active for a very long period of time with this build. Using a mighty weapon will provide 9 per hit. With a mighty weapon I wouldn't expect a greater attack speed than 2 per second. Generating 18 rage per second will provide you with another 11 seconds, then another 7 and so on. You could potentially tack on an additional 25 to 30 seconds at the cost of ignoring your fury spender.

However there is some speculation that thrive on chaos only counts fury that actually fills up your fury bar, and any fury earned passed your max will not count towards this rune effect. If that is the case you could change wrath of berserker to something else, or you could switch the rune to slaughter, making all of your crits provide additional opportunities for health orbs.

With bash (onslaught) it does 3 total hits. From what I understand from tests in the beta each hit gave the bonus from weapons master. Meaning you got a total of 15 fury from each hit (9 from weapons master + the 6 from using bash). With about 2 attacks per second that would give 30 fury per second. A little less when tossing in a hammer of ancients to use up some of the fury. In addition more fury would be generated from each aoe hit of hammer of the ancients and revenge. (However not sure how aoes are treated in regards to weapons master so it might be a tiny amount per use like 3... or it might be 3 per hit, which is unlikely).
Reply Quote
This is a very cool concept, Gulnaga. I was actually in the middle of coming up with my own "globe reaper" build, myself, the night before . . . but more for the purpose of synergizing with the other classes' globe skills or passives. After seeing your build it's become apparent that this type of build synergizes nicely even within itself, consisting of more than just the role of reaping as many globes as possible.

For one thing the core idea behind the build seems to be a great means for the Barbarian to further the defensive potential of the whole group as opposed to just himself (most of the Barb's defensive abilities and synergies revolve only around himself). Still, on the topic of solo-play this globe reaping idea could end up being very powerful, to the extent of bypassing the need to sacrifice so much damage just for clogging up the skill bar with more and more straightforward defensive-oriented skills/passives. The reality of no more potion smashing and no more insta-TP to safety is something I think hasn't really sunk in for a lot of people. Blizzard has clearly stated that combat in this game (compared to D2) will be more drawn out and strategic than the hit and miss insta-gib style of its predecessor.

PUNCHLINE: Since health globes normally only drop for killing monsters, the longer it takes to kill monsters in general the more favorable the "globe reaping" concept becomes (really gives you something to think about concerning Inferno).

@Gulnaga
I wanted to comment specifically on your build. I actually don't see anything directly wrong with it. You pointed out its potential weaknesses and I pretty much agree. Having no real mobility-enhancing skill would hurt a lot unless you specifically have someone else in charge of dispatching high priority targets. Even then I personally find it highly annoying not being able to get somewhere fast when I want to or need to. Honestly, I don't think WotB(Thrive on Chaos) will work out very well, either. As just mentioned you don't have good mobility, and you've forgone quite a few other synergy options that could further this skill's efficiency. I do think you could it off if you eliminated some of the defense and went more for an offensive-oriented group build (like switching to BR[Into the Fray] and dropping War Cry for something like Furious Charge[Stamina]). This could really be something worth looking into for farming runs anyway.

As you said your build was entirely defense-oriented (one I'm guessing is intended for progressing through Inferno). I tried to come up with my own variation of your build with this in mind -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZiXVk!aYb!ZcbaZb I simply switched WotB for Leap, and switched Tough as Nails for Nerves of Steel. From what I understand 1 Strength equates to 1 Armor, so this passive literally puts Vitality on equal terms as far as armor goes. That makes NoS a lot better in my eyes. It wouldn't necessarily come out to give you more armor, but it would allow you to completely forgo Strength if you wanted (let the rest of your group focus on damage), stacking Vitality as a means for increasing armor, instead. With that in mind I also switched the rune in War Cry to Invigorate since I'm already stacking Vitality. Most important thing to note: there's really a huge incentive to stack as much health as possible for this "globe reaper" build due to health globes healing based on life percent and not a set number . . . same goes for Revenge.

I'm very excited at the discovery of this strategy. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
Reply Quote
Ranged classes each have a select passive which greatly benefits their class each time they're healed by a health globe. These passives gives way to further group synergy outside the Barb's own incentives for "globe reaper" builds. By the way the witch doctor also has skills which can increase the chance for health globes to drop. Anyway, here's the passives if anyone's too lazy to look them up.

Witch Doctor
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#!Y

Demon Hunter
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#!b

Wizard
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#!Z
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Death Knight
Aye, helping fund those passives and putting out a ton of healing to party members nearby was one of the interesting group mechanics I thought it would pull out. If it works well then it would also put out a lot more healing vs small amounts of targets than the barbarian could ever get otherwise.

Nerves of Steel vs Tough as Nails is something that will likely change depending on your gearing at the time. You want a healthy bit of vit to survive (especially if health globes are partly % based), but damage is also important so that your enemies do eventually die. The sort of affixes I would go for most would be the +str/+vit gear. They tend to add +150 to each stat while the straight +vit or +str gear only offers +200 total.

Essentially if the armor from Nerves of Steel > Tough as Nails. Choose it. If the opposite is true, go with Tough as Nails. It is something that the build can evolve to the gear we are using.

Tossing Wrath for Iron Impact Leap is something I am heavily considering. It all depends how it turns out in the game. In any case pre-60 (Before Thrive for Chaos is available) I will definitely be using Leap. If I did that I would Bash with Cleave (Scattering Blast), and perhaps drop Weapons Master so I can take both Nerves of Steel AND Tough as Nails.

There's a lot of tweaking to decide things and also tweaking on personal preference and gear. Will be a lot of fun to see how it all evolves!

Edit: Keeping Weapons Master and instead going with a +crit choice weapon would be a possible choice as well. Or tossing it for Ruthless which would make the crits you perform stronger. Depends if you want more armor, more crits, or more crit damage.
Edited by Gulnaga#1872 on 5/13/2012 5:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 05:42 AMPosted by Gulnaga
Nerves of Steel vs Tough as Nails is something that will likely change depending on your gearing at the time. You want a healthy bit of vit to survive (especially if health globes are partly % based), but damage is also important so that your enemies do eventually die. The sort of affixes I would go for most would be the +str/+vit gear. They tend to add +150 to each stat while the straight +vit or +str gear only offers +200 total.

The point I was making about NoS is that it eliminates the stat choice of having to pick more armor or more health, because it makes Vitality add as much armor as Strength does. Granted this would imply that you would be very defense-focused, forgoing strength to whatever extent you wished. I thought that was the idea of your original post, sword and board, distract monsters, and make as many health globes pop out as possible. Most people would say this turns you into a "tank" role and some of them are totally up in arms about the concept of "roles." I'd say whatever . . . if you have a good niche with some ranged friends, then try it.

If I was going for a more damage-oriented version of this strategy (with WotB in mind), I'd try something like this -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZiSVP!aZY!ZcYbZc We honestly won't get a good feel for just how much real-time fury generation is required to sustain WotB, but I have a feeling that a skill like BR[Into the Fray] will be damn near essential. An interesting thing to point out is that if Into the Fray happens to proc at a much higher rate than Swords to Ploughshares, it may actually yield as many or more health globes due to being able to simply dump that much more fury into HotA[Birthright]. The amount would have to be substantial no doubt, but we'll see.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]